ZR2 CAI and Potential Programmer

Picked up my ZR2 4/26/22. 3 hrs later I installed my S&B CAI. Been using them on my past 3 trucks, wouldn't go any other route.
Hey again! I love the looks of the S&B but I am getting a nuisance Air filter warning popping up every time I start the truck. Have you experienced this, and if so, did you fix it? I just ask because I bought the exact same CAI as you, so maybe you are experiencing the same issue as me.

Hey again! I love the looks of the S&B but I am getting a nuisance Air filter warning popping up every time I start the truck. Have you experienced this, and if so, did you fix it? I just ask because I bought the exact same CAI as you, so maybe you are experiencing the same issue as me.
Your suppose to disable the air filter monitor on your truck , with all model cold air intakes.

Your suppose to disable the air filter monitor on your truck , with all model cold air intakes.
Ah ok, thank you! I did not have to disable it on my 2018 silverado, so I just swapped it out. I will disable that tonight then!

I would advise against one. I purchased the Volant intake for my 2021 Trail Boss with the 6.2 and the truck shifted real wonky when it was cold. Once the engine warmed up it was fine. I also noticed that sitting in gear while idling for a few minutes, say like in a drive thru line the idle would be erratic and sometimes stall. I took it off and put the factory one back and everything went away. There is a reason GM required a reflash when they installed their performance parts intake on these T1 trucks, and even with that there were still issues. Now they don't even offer it. In my opinion for the small performance gain you MAY see, it's not worth it.
I had the GM performance intake on my 21 trail boss, couldn’t have it reflagged because it was a 21, but I had no issues. I pulled it off and will probably put it on the ZR2 when I get it

I had the GM performance intake on my 21 trail boss, couldn’t have it reflagged because it was a 21, but I had no issues. I pulled it off and will probably put it on the ZR2 when I get it
Those look slick! I wanted to get that one, but they were out of stock so I went with S&B instead.

I’ve had a Corsa CAI w/ the Donaldson filter on order since April. Jeg’s is telling me august which should line up when Corsa’s exhaust goes live.

Those look slick! I wanted to get that one, but they were out of stock so I went with S&B instead.
It does look nice, I’ve got that and my spin tech muffler to put on. They sound better than anything!

does anyone have some real word data on if the MPG's increase with the CAI?

does anyone have some real word data on if the MPG's increase with the CAI?
Nominal at best. I have aFe stage 2 installed, I’m getting 13-15.5 mpg.

Best fuel economy increase would be an AFM delete, just waiting on tuning folks to spit out a plug in tuner for 22 6.2L.

Nominal at best. I have aFe stage 2 installed, I’m getting 13-15.5 mpg.

Best fuel economy increase would be an AFM delete, just waiting on tuning folks to spit out a plug in tuner for 22 6.2L.
Ummmm, AFM is there specifically for Fuel economy. You would get an increase in consumption of fuel by always using all 8 cylinders. GM wouldn't even have AFM if it weren't for terrible gas mileage on their V8's.

Ummmm, AFM is there specifically for Fuel economy. You would get an increase in consumption of fuel by always using all 8 cylinders. GM wouldn't even have AFM if it weren't for terrible gas mileage on their V8's
Ummmm, AFM is there specifically for Fuel economy. You would get an increase in consumption of fuel by always using all 8 cylinders. GM wouldn't even have AFM if it weren't for terrible gas mileage on their V8's.
Nonsense. You get better MPG and preserve the life of your powertrain with an AFM delete. My shop is located outside of DC, in Woodbridge, Virginia. Come through and I’ll show you 6 GM 5.3 and 6.2 trucks and countless corvettes and Camaros getting better MPG with AFM delete. Highly recommend this and also GM doesn’t do it for the consumer - they do it for their parts department. Regardless, it’s a plug-in from Range and it disables start stop, AFM and reduces oil consumption. You can just unplug it and it’s $200.

Last edited:
Nonsense. You get better MPG and preserve the life of your powertrain with an AFM delete. My shop is located outside of DC, in Woodbridge, Virginia. Come through and I’ll show you 6 GM 5.3 and 6.2 trucks and countless corvettes and Camaros getting better MPG with AFM delete. Highly recommend this and also GM doesn’t do it for the consumer - they do it for their parts department. Regardless, it’s a plug-in from Range and it disables start stop, AFM and reduces oil consumption. You can just unplug it and it’s $200.
There's no way you get better mileage without DFM in these trucks. I know this because if you drive a 5.3 with it vs without, the one without definitely gets worse mileage.

You think manufacturers would even have this feature if it didn't help fuel economy? No way.

There's no way you get better mileage without DFM in these trucks. I know this because if you drive a 5.3 with it vs without, the one without definitely gets worse mileage.

You think manufacturers would even have this feature if it didn't help fuel economy? No way.
Invitation remains open. It’s awful for your entire engine. I average as much as 0.2-2.7mpg better on all of my 6.2L V8s, all with active fuel management deleted. Currently getting 18.8mpg on my 6.2 Yukon XL and 16.1mpg on my 6.2 Sierra (4” BDS lift on 35s). Northern Virginia stop-n-go driving hand calculations, not the computer. But hey, keep purchasing that extended warranty and additional service w/ parts from GM. I stand by deleting AFM 100% of the time.

Invitation remains open. It’s awful for your entire engine. I average as much as 0.2-2.7mpg better on all of my 6.2L V8s, all with active fuel management deleted. Currently getting 18.8mpg on my 6.2 Yukon XL and 16.1mpg on my 6.2 Sierra (4” BDS lift on 35s). Northern Virginia stop-n-go driving hand calculations, not the computer. But hey, keep purchasing that extended warranty and additional service w/ parts from GM. I stand by deleting AFM 100% of the time.
My ZR2 is now getting 17-19 with it AFM enabled. After the break in period it's been great. Better mileage than on my previous 2014 5.3

Even if you delete DFM, you still have the DFM lifters in the engine. So, I recommend that if you think that deleting it will somehow make those lifters less prone to failure...well, you're the one that needs to get that extended warranty. I have a good friend that is a powertrain engineer at GM and even on cars that don't have DFM activated from the factory(manual trans Camaro SS/ZL1) the lifters are still prone to failure even though DFM is deleted.

The reason they have DFM is because they're trying to hit a MPG number for the entire fleet of vehicles. There is plenty of real data showing that it does improve mileage. If you're getting better, great. I'll take the word of the engineer that knows these systems in and out though.

My current 2020 LTZ 6.2, had the lifters fail on the way from Tulsa to Dallas on 5/20/22 @ 53,627 Miles. Got towed to the closet dealer in Durant, OK, of which they replaced one bank of liters to then replace the second bank, to then determine the engine spun a main bearing and then replaced the entire engine under warranty.

Today while driving around Tulsa, I again heard the dreaded tick and lack of engine response, so took to my selling dealer and once again lifters have failed @ 56,226 miles, which is only 2,599 miles since they replaced the engine and less than 2 months ago.

Any and all maintenance is completed by my selling dealer.

While this is beyond frustration, I am lucky it is all under warranty and I am a #chevyguytillIdie, but the lifters do fail no matter what anyone thinks is the fault.

I have owned 8 new Silverados since 2004 and this is the first time I have had any issues, but what issues to have.

With that said I cant wait for my ZR2 to be delivered :)

My current 2020 LTZ 6.2, had the lifters fail on the way from Tulsa to Dallas on 5/20/22 @ 53,627 Miles. Got towed to the closet dealer in Durant, OK, of which they replaced one bank of liters to then replace the second bank, to then determine the engine spun a main bearing and then replaced the entire engine under warranty.

Today while driving around Tulsa, I again heard the dreaded tick and lack of engine response, so took to my selling dealer and once again lifters have failed @ 56,226 miles, which is only 2,599 miles since they replaced the engine and less than 2 months ago.

Any and all maintenance is completed by my selling dealer.

While this is beyond frustration, I am lucky it is all under warranty and I am a #chevyguytillIdie, but the lifters do fail no matter what anyone thinks is the fault.

I have owned 8 new Silverados since 2004 and this is the first time I have had any issues, but what issues to have.

With that said I cant wait for my ZR2 to be delivered :)
Man, I’m sorry to hear about that. Extremely unfortunate circumstances there. It’s still under warranty and you ordered a ZR2 maybe see what OK Lemon Law statute says. Sounds like you got a lemon brother. Stay healthy.

Just in case anyone is wondering the new Pulsar LT does NOT work with the '22 ZR2 despite the website adding in the "Refreshed Body" for the 6.2L '22 Silverado.

Don't even try it. It was an unfun experience when it kept trying to fire up the starter despite turning the engine off.

Just in case anyone is wondering the new Pulsar LT does NOT work with the '22 ZR2 despite the website adding in the "Refreshed Body" for the 6.2L '22 Silverado.

Don't even try it. It was an unfun experience when it kept trying to fire up the starter despite turning the engine off.
That is annoying... Sorry you had to learn that way, but thank you for helping the rest of us avoid the headache!!

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back