ZR2 CAI and Potential Programmer

markbern

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am really torn on a cold air intake to swap with. I ran K&N on my last 2 Silverados, but I am thinking about switching up with the AFE or S&B. Also open to the insight of others. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, I am looking at the PULSAR LT inline control module for DFM deactivation and throttle response adjustment. Would love to know if anyone else is considering one or has had experiences with them?

2.5 more weeks till arrival!!! :D

Don't get a Pulsar yet. They won't work with the ZR2 or any of the other refresh trucks yet.

I used to run CAI on my Camaros but I've discovered that some of them don't really offer much performance vs. dollar amount on a lot of vehicles. I would be interested to see performance gains of one on a 6.2L Silverado.

Don't get a Pulsar yet. They won't work with the ZR2 or any of the other refresh trucks yet.

I used to run CAI on my Camaros but I've discovered that some of them don't really offer much performance vs. dollar amount on a lot of vehicles. I would be interested to see performance gains of one on a 6.2L Silverado.
Oh really? I figured because the 6.2 didn't change it would be fine. Thanks for the heads up!!! I will refrain.

I never really found a lot of performance boost with a CAI, just liked the difference in the sound some of them generate. I want to see how she sounds with a performance CAI and the ATAK exhaust.

Oh really? I figured because the 6.2 didn't change it would be fine. Thanks for the heads up!!! I will refrain.

I never really found a lot of performance boost with a CAI, just liked the difference in the sound some of them generate. I want to see how she sounds with a performance CAI and the ATAK exhaust.
CAI helped my Silverado with gas mileage. I calculated at the time of install and 3 months later. The computer won't show the diff., but the calculator will.

Picked up my ZR2 4/26/22. 3 hrs later I installed my S&B CAI. Been using them on my past 3 trucks, wouldn't go any other route.

Attachments

• 20220426_160525.jpg
    20220426_160525.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 413
  • 20220426_160517.jpg
    20220426_160517.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 449
CAI helped my Silverado with gas mileage. I calculated at the time of install and 3 months later. The computer won't show the diff., but the calculator will.
Thanks KDelta! I am figuring out which one I want. Definitely can use the mileage improvement. These new gas prices are costing me a mint lol

Picked up my ZR2 4/26/22. 3 hrs later I installed my S&B CAI. Been using them on my past 3 trucks, wouldn't go any other route.
Oh! You went with the S&B, that looks SHARP!!!! Thank you so much for the pics!! I am probably just going to pick one of those up. Did you notice any improvement in terms of sound and performance? I know you only went stock for 3 hours, but just wondering if it was enough to notice anything. Thank you so much for sharing!!!! That really looks fantastic!

Does it make the sucking air sound like everyone else seems to say? How noticeable is the change in sound? I'm about to pull the trigger on one.

Oh! You went with the S&B, that looks SHARP!!!! Thank you so much for the pics!! I am probably just going to pick one of those up. Did you notice any improvement in terms of sound and performance? I know you only went stock for 3 hours, but just wondering if it was enough to notice anything. Thank you so much for sharing!!!! That really looks fantastic!
Not sure yet about gas mileage improvement, but it looks and sounds better!

Not sure yet about gas mileage improvement, but it looks and sounds better!
Awesome! I am happy you're happy with it! And based on what you said I just ordered my own lol. Should be here next week. So I have the CAI, Sport Bar, off-road lights, ATAK exhaust, PPF and ceramic lined up.... All I need is the damn truck.....

CAI is more for sound than performance. You will get 0-3hp out of it.
I 100% agree, but the sound is what I am going for here. I even mentioned that in a previous post

"I never really found a lot of performance boost with a CAI, just liked the difference in the sound some of them generate. I want to see how she sounds with a performance CAI and the ATAK exhaust."

But if I know what people are happy with then it will help me try something new as I always default back to K&N. Excited to try S&B for this new truck though! Z should be arriving this week!!!! :)

I'm more interested in real world mpg increase for CAI. There's enough evidence so far on the 6.2L 10 speed current gen trucks to suggest a 1-2mpg max. That's enough for me to give it a go.

I'm more interested in real world mpg increase for CAI. There's enough evidence so far on the 6.2L 10 speed current gen trucks to suggest a 1-2mpg max. That's enough for me to give it a go.
I would love to see this evidence because it is impossible to get better mpg other than lowering the vehicle or lowering the rolling resistance of the tires. Just think of it this way. Car manufactures are required by law to get their fleets to a certain mpg. If they could simply throw on a CAI to get that mpg, why on earth would they not in every car they sold? CAIs are pretty much the worst performance upgrade there is. It is a scam as far as performance or mpg. It only has a better sound which I even find debatable as I have put one on before when I was in college. You really only see gains for intakes and exhaust in race applications.

What made you go with cotton over dry?
And what do you think about the filter wrap?

What made you go with cotton over dry?
And what do you think about the filter wrap?
I like cotton cleanable one because I can clean it and re oil when needed, instead of buying a new filter. I don't think a wrap would be necessary unless your driving in very dusty conditions all the time.

I would advise against one. I purchased the Volant intake for my 2021 Trail Boss with the 6.2 and the truck shifted real wonky when it was cold. Once the engine warmed up it was fine. I also noticed that sitting in gear while idling for a few minutes, say like in a drive thru line the idle would be erratic and sometimes stall. I took it off and put the factory one back and everything went away. There is a reason GM required a reflash when they installed their performance parts intake on these T1 trucks, and even with that there were still issues. Now they don't even offer it. In my opinion for the small performance gain you MAY see, it's not worth it.

Most Member Reactions

Back