ZR2 Exhaust

Thank for the replies. I did a little digging and found the performance numbers on the GM Borla exhaust.

Give your Silverado 1500 ZR2 6.2L engine a throaty purr with this Performance Cat-back Exhaust System from Chevrolet. This Genuine Chevrolet Accessories Performance Exhaust is designed specifically for the Silverado 1500 ZR2 which is limited to a Short Wheel Base (SWB) model; Crew Cab with Short Bed [5'-8"]. This Performance Exhaust kit is made from aircraft grade T-304 stainless steel with large front 3.5-inch and rear split 2.75-inch outer-diameter 304 stainless-steel pipes. This system offers up to a [40 percent reduction in back pressure at 335 g/s at 600 degrees C], up to a 13-hp improvement at 5,600 rpm and up to 8 additional pound-feet of torque at 4,100 rpm over the production exhaust system.
The key word is UP TO 13hp. Expect closer to 1 than 13.

Just spoke to the guys at my local muffler shop about the AWE system for GM 6.2L. They said if they don't make a specific ZR2 model, they can work it out. If that's the case, I'd like those black stainless tips just poking out under the rear bumper angled down. This would help in less drone and I won't be doing extreme off-roading where that would be a potential crush issue.

Update #2. Spoke with John, a rep. at AWE Exhaust. He stated the company is looking toward early September for a release on a system specifically for the ZR2! I'll be waiting and watching. Can't wait for that sound.

I’ll be putting my spintech muffler on that was on my 6.2L TB. Sounds amazing and fraction of the price of the full systems

Mine didn't have a Borla on it from the factory, and I wasn't going to pay the $1900 for the Borla cat-back system from GM. I did get a Borla Atak muffler for $300 on Amazon and my local muffler shop put it on. OH BOY! what sound! Love it.

I did the same thing. Sounds great.

Mine didn't have a Borla on it from the factory, and I wasn't going to pay the $1900 for the Borla cat-back system from GM. I did get a Borla Atak muffler for $300 on Amazon and my local muffler shop put it on. OH BOY! what sound! Love it.
Any drone at highway speeds?

What's a fair price for a local guy to do the install on that? and do they remove the "flap" that restricts flow as well? Sorry, I am not a mechanical guy, so I hope that last question made sense :)

Yes I removed the flapper. So they provided the pipe that is needed to make it fit correct, straightened out the tail pipes that GM can't seem to get level, and charged me $140

I used the Borla Atak crate muffler #400844
I ordered this from Amazon and had it installed yesterday. Really like it... it's subdued when cruising but bold when you're getting into the throttle. I see a decline in my gas mileage coming...

When I first drove it, I noticed a "resonance" at about 1700 - 1800 RPM under a light load. It was noticeably louder, but it's not the oscillation noise in the cab that I associate with a "drone". Hope that makes sense.

If you do just a muffler swap, I would suggest cutting all the 3" pipe out and replace it with a 3.5'" muffler and pipe. The factory 6.2 exhaust goes from 3.5" after the y pipe down to 3" just before the flapper, through the muffler and back to 3.5" before the rear y. The GMPP Borla system is all 3.5" right back to the rear y pipe.

I can confirm that my zr2 I purchased on September 9th, came with the Borla exhaust from the Factory.

Attachments

• IMG_9241.jpg
    IMG_9241.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_9242.jpg
    IMG_9242.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_9243.jpg
    IMG_9243.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_9244.jpg
    IMG_9244.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_9245.jpg
    IMG_9245.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 146
I can confirm that my zr2 I purchased on September 9th, came with the Borla exhaust from the Factory.
It was not factory installed, it was installed by the dealer. No Borla exhaust systems are installed at the factory. It can be ordered with the truck but they are all shipped separate from the truck and installed by the ordering dealer.

Most Member Reactions

Back