2500HD ZR2 500 Mile Review

I have finished my trip in my 2024 GMC AT4X 2500 HD.
I got it December 22. It had 23 miles on it. I'm attaching photos.
First photo is arriving in Florida. Second is returning. Third is arriving in Centennial, Colorado.
20231228_123158.jpg
20240103_092318.jpg
20240106_131246.jpg

Hey guys question....can you have the 2024 duramax deleted?
No. Unless you buy a new computer and find someone to reprogram it. $5-10k I've heard. Lots of companies got whacked by EPA and won't do it anymore.

No. Unless you buy a new computer and find someone to reprogram it. $5-10k I've heard. Lots of companies got whacked by EPA and won't do it anymore.
Canada is the only country I see doing delete's anymore. Apparently they don't have the DOT patrolling roads looking for deleted trucks. When I lived on the Western Slope this was a big deal and the population over there is nothing compared to the Front Range of Colorado. There are plenty of those patrols on this side of the mountains too. A friend of mine has been stopped three times.

Reactions: AXE
Canada is the only country I see doing delete's anymore. Apparently they don't have the DOT patrolling roads looking for deleted trucks. When I lived on the Western Slope this was a big deal and the population over there is nothing compared to the Front Range of Colorado. There are plenty of those patrols on this side of the mountains too. A friend of mine has been stopped three times.
Canada will look really good if we end up with another 4 years of Brandon.........

I've finally got 500 miles on my rig. So thought I would offer up my initial thoughts.

Overall, it is a very nice package. Looks great, motor and tranny are near perfect match, ride quality is incredible. Looks really good and should be a good long term tow rig.

Motor is strong and power is very linear. It's the quietest diesel I've heard, hardly any noise in cab. Maybe too quiet for hard core diesel enthusiasts.

10 speed tranny is awesome. Always seems to be in the right power band and is easy to drive on steep grades and corners.

The Multimatic DSSV suspension is great, just like 1500s. I would say the best lifted truck I've ridden in by far. Depending upon terrain and road conditions, it's easily 15-50% better than my last truck I lifted and I liked that Cognito lift a lot. It actually rides better light towing and in choppy terrain than I ever would have imagined.

I really like how big this truck sits and it doesn't look like grandpa's tow rig. The lighting scheme is perfect when lit up at night, definitely big rig vibes.

Controls and creature comforts make this a nice rig to relax and drive.
hey Axe, i wonder how beefy those DSSV shocks are on the 2500.

Based on everything I’ve read, I think they are pretty much the same, or pretty darn close, just “tuned” different for the Colorado, 1500, and 2500…could be wrong or misunderstanding. I found it pretty surprising actually…be interesting to hear from someone that’s seen them side by side.

Section in this article as an example…https://www.thedrive.com/news/why-t...o-hd-zr2-sticks-to-ifs-and-multimatic-dampers

Last edited:
GM claims they are the same but different valving. I would say for the most part they do appear to be very similar.

I was going to take some better measurements to be sure, but I do think there's some differences. The thing I noticed first was the shock length is longer to accommodate additional height of truck.

I just hit about 900 miles, so not a lot of seat time yet and no heavy towing. I can say one thing for sure, that's these Multimatic DSSV shocks are damn nice and make an impressive ride on this 2500HD, just like the 1500. It's my favorite thing about these trucks by 10X.

You can build the biggest fastest motor and it ain't shit without good suspension.

I agree with Axe 100%. I have 4000k on my AT4X and I love the way it rides. It's one of my favorite things about.....well the messaging seat are pretty nice on long drives also. I'll be taking it back into the Colorado mountains this weekend . I'll get a feel for how is rides on service roads and roads/trails going to some dispersed camping areas.

GM claims they are the same but different valving. I would say for the most part they do appear to be very similar.

I was going to take some better measurements to be sure, but I do think there's some differences. The thing I noticed first was the shock length is longer to accommodate additional height of truck.

I just hit about 900 miles, so not a lot of seat time yet and no heavy towing. I can say one thing for sure, that's these Multimatic DSSV shocks are damn nice and make an impressive ride on this 2500HD, just like the 1500. It's my favorite thing about these trucks by 10X.

You can build the biggest fastest motor and it ain't shit without good suspension.
imo, the ZR2 rides equal to my 21' denali with magnetride. i would have thought the HD trucks wouldnt ride as nice. good info AXE!!

imo, the ZR2 rides equal to my 21' denali with magnetride. i would have thought the HD trucks wouldnt ride as nice. good info AXE!!
For clarification, impressive for a 2500HD, but not quite as good as 1500.

I thought the maganaride suspension on my previous Tahoe was good. However, the 23 Tahoe is even better. Not really sure what's different about it, but it looks like it may have some additional wires/sensors coming out the top of shock.

Gonna be spendy to replace shocks on these rigs if you keep them a long time. Hoping someone offers a rebuild for the DSSV shocks.

Last edited:
For clarification, impressive for a 2500HD, but not quite as good as 1500.

I thought the maganaride suspension on my previous Tahoe was good. However, the 23 Tahoe is even better. Not really sure what's different about it, but it looks like it may have some additional wires/sensors coming out the top of shock.

Gonna be spendy to replace shocks on these rigs if you keep them a long time. Hoping someone offers a rebuild for the DSSV shocks.
It's not bad for a HD, But the HD doesn't really compare to the 1500 as far as ride quality. That's literally the only thing I miss from my 1500. In the HD I find my self slowing down for big bumps and speed bumps. In my 1500 I didn't at all. In fact I would speed up and laugh going over them. I'm pretty sure I caught air on a couple railroad tracks and bridges around here in the 1500. I know I did going up my driveway. The HD would be bucking all over the place trying that.

It's not bad for a HD, But the HD doesn't really compare to the 1500 as far as ride quality. That's literally the only thing I miss from my 1500. In the HD I find my self slowing down for big bumps and speed bumps. In my 1500 I didn't at all. In fact I would speed up and laugh going over them. I'm pretty sure I caught air on a couple railroad tracks and bridges around here in the 1500. I know I did going up my driveway. The HD would be bucking all over the place trying that.
"im pretty sure i caught air" lol

No way that 37's will work on this truck without major cutting and a lift..... My 35x12.50-18 BFG's almost rub now turned all of the way without even being in travel.
Wrong, 37's fit without cutting or any mods and do not rub in any circumstance. Nitto ridge grapplers. I have tried my hardest to get them to rub. Turned torsion 1.5 turn just for added insurance anyway. That only raised 1/4 inch if that.

Wrong, 37's fit without cutting or any mods and do not rub in any circumstance. Nitto ridge grapplers. I have tried my hardest to get them to rub. Turned torsion 1.5 turn just for added insurance anyway. That only raised 1/4 inch if that.
Mall crawling does not count. ;) I have 35x12.50-18 BFG HD's and my last trip to the ranch 10 days ago (leaving tomorrow at 3am on an emergency there) I actually had them just barely touch when going down a steep embankment and had to turn hard left when the truck got to the bottom of a creek and the rest of the truck was still in a steep decline and the suspension was in full compression in the front with the wheel turned all the way.

Know most people do not put a vehicle in this type of extreme condition however, I have to do it all of the time. I am glad you have had such favorable results. I have had 9 or 10 sets of Rigge Grapplers and because they do not have large lugs on the side that may be why I do not know. FWIW these tires put the Ridge Grapples to shame off road and are outstanding on the road even at extended speeds of 85mph (speed limit is 80)or so. Just my.02 and actual experience.

Last edited:
Ya you got the wrong guy for that shit. I have pics on here flexing it. I beat on my trucks. I got the 37's to rub on my TRX!
I had a TRX for 6 months--biggest mistake I made in my life talk about a worthless vehicle for the street and not even a real .5 ton lol. Flexing like you are showing is for putting the truck on display at a car dealership when they place large stones in front. The Land Rover dealer used to do that here.

Attachments

• Ranch 8-5-21 #1 Truck.jpg
    Ranch 8-5-21 #1 Truck.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 15
Ya you got the wrong guy for that shit. I have pics on here flexing it. I beat on my trucks. I got the 37's to rub on my TRX!
He'll argue with you until he finally mutes your posts cause he's smarter offroading than anyone else. He did the same with me. When I put 37s on he went on and on and on. He loves to call everthing mall crawling like he actually believes some people don't run their trucks through the paces off road.

Most Member Reactions

Back