The Grass Isn't Greener

DFWZR2

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello all. It's been a while since I posted here. I just wanted to let you all know that the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 ZR2 was a very special vehicle. I took for granted just how refined it was. The 6.2 absolutely purred with the Borla exhaust, and the infotainment systems were seamless. The cameras were incredible. The reliability was superb, I put 8k miles on mine in just 2 months, took it on level 3 offroad courses without breaking a sweat in Hot Springs, AR, and plenty of road trips.

I traded her in on a factory-ordered Ram 1500 TRX. I regret it. The ~4s 0-60mph is intoxicating and thrilling, for about a week. The cameras are potatoes. I experienced critical brake failure at 300 miles on the odometer because the factory and dealer failed to discover a missing brakeline bracket. The Bilstein active dampening system may be great for high speed desert running, but feel daft on the road compared to the Multimatic shocks on the ZR2. The Uconnect system is a joke, without fail it cuts out at least once on any trip longer than 10 minutes, it comes back but it's just poorly implemented. The infotainment screen is laggy and feels dated. The leather and seat quality are superb, and may be the only thing I truly like more on the Ram than the ZR2, but everything else is just underwhelming.

I'll be keeping an eye out for ZR2 news, would love to see a supercharged version offered from the factory, the Bison is not exciting to me though. Appreciate your trucks! The hood insert rubbing is not the end of the world.

Attachments

• IMG_6808.jpg
    IMG_6808.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_7109.jpg
    IMG_7109.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Yep. So far so good! Came to pick up a Power Wagon I had ordered, and couldnt say no to the ZR2.

Last edited:
Going to check out a couple of ZR2's today. The thrill of the TRX has thoroughly worn off. Will update the post if I decide to move forward, interest rates may dissuade me depending on the deal I am offered.

GM > Stellantis

If you don't mind me asking, what was your TRX out the door? I looked at in one early 22 and there was a $25K markup on it. I can't remember exactly but that put the price near $115k. No thanks.
I love with my ZR2. And agree, a SC would be way cool.

Going to check out a couple of ZR2's today. The thrill of the TRX has thoroughly worn off. Will update the post if I decide to move forward, interest rates may dissuade me depending on the deal I am offered.

GM > Stellantis
Good luck, Yeah rates are pretty crazy right now. I'm really glad I got my truck when I did. I got 2.8% on my ZR2. A buddy of mine just got a lightly used Cummins 2500 with 3,400 miles on it. His rate with basically perfect credit was 7.75% Granted that's on a used vehicle, But still I was pretty surprised that was the best he could find. Hard to imagine what people with average credit or sub Prime are paying.

Whelp.

Interest rates are terrible, but still saving $263/mo on monthly payment, $70 on insurance, and ~$150 estimated* on gas switching from TRX. No money down, straight trade.
Had $6k in equity on the TRX.
OTD price on TRX was $83k and some change due to 11% off MSRP (Factory ordered with power broker w/discount and price protection)
OTD price on ZR2 with multi-flex, tech pkg, sunroof $68k and some change.
Went from 5.65% (October rate on TRX) to 7.5% on ZR2, EECU is going to refinance it at 6.5%.
Joint Credit Score Avg - 680. Wife primary borrower 720, me as co-borrower at 640
(I was primary borrower on TRX and credit hasn't rebounded since we bought in October, after buying house in June, and original ZR2 in June and her Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE also in June)

Feels good to be back in a Chevy. First mod on order, GM Performance exhaust (Borla).
backinzr23.jpg

BackinZR22.jpg
BackinZR2.jpg

Funny you say this, I bought a 21 F150 king ranch in Jan 21 then when we had that freak snow / freeze in February with 346 miles on my truck the battery went dead from some module in the tailgate and the rental company gave me a TRX, It was the absolute worst vehicle Id ever driven, I brought it back and traded it for the soccer mom expedition. 3 months driving that truck because ford couldnt get the part. I got another new 21 in April and Fords been bugging me since to trade it in but only if I could get a raptor, well we all know thats another story, after 20 years away from chevy I stopped in a local dealer to test drive the ZR2, a few days later I found the truck I wanted.
The ZR2 stereo sucks, but its livable, the towing sucks, but thankfully I have other vehicles to do so and its not something I’d want to take on a long trip, I’ll never take it up a cutline since we don’t have any but it sure it nice not worrying about getting stuck at the ranch anymore..

Whelp.

Interest rates are terrible, but still saving $263/mo on monthly payment, $70 on insurance, and ~$150 estimated* on gas switching from TRX. No money down, straight trade.
Had $6k in equity on the TRX.
OTD price on TRX was $83k and some change due to 11% off MSRP (Factory ordered with power broker w/discount and price protection)
OTD price on ZR2 with multi-flex, tech pkg, sunroof $68k and some change.
Went from 5.65% (October rate on TRX) to 7.5% on ZR2, EECU is going to refinance it at 6.5%.
Joint Credit Score Avg - 680. Wife primary borrower 720, me as co-borrower at 640
(I was primary borrower on TRX and credit hasn't rebounded since we bought in October, after buying house in June, and original ZR2 in June and her Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE also in June)

Feels good to be back in a Chevy. First mod on order, GM Performance exhaust (Borla).
View attachment 1848
View attachment 1847View attachment 1846
this credit racket is one hell of a scheme. i paid my truck off in 7 months and my score went down. ridiculous lol.

I have xpel on every vehicle I own, I did the fusion on a car in July and it makes a huge difference when you dry it, I use an echo leaf blower, you just point it at the truck and the water dissapears.

I have xpel on every vehicle I own, I did the fusion on a car in July and it makes a huge difference when you dry it, I use an echo leaf blower, you just point it at the truck and the water dissapears.
how much did the stealth ppf run on the truck if you don't mind me asking? there are a few good shops around my location (corvette city), i'm just trying to make sure I get a good deal.

On another note, I suspect 70% of the trucks purchased with market adjustments will be repossessed within the year, especially if these people financed with higher rates and this will kill Raptor and TRX pricing, If a dealer called me tomorrow and offered a new truck at MSRP id tell them to pound sand.
All the You tube car channels are talking about all the loans they expect to be defaulted on. I think it will be a mess. Vehicles are actually back to deprecating after you buy them. You have to figure people who paid 10k+ MA only to have that vanish plus another 5k or more. I can imagine a lot of those going back. People stuck under a high payment and lots of negative equity.

I live in Garden Ridge, where did you have your truck done? Thanks, Rick

Most Member Reactions

Back