6.2 Lifter Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 99 92.5%

• Total voters
I looked more into it not long after i got my 1500. There is some good videos online detailing GMs DFM and showing some of the failure reasons. The lifter is held open with a couple of spring loaded tabs. When dfm kicks in. Oil pressure is increased to that lifter by a electric solenoid and those tabs are pushed in. That causes the lifter to collapse and not open those valves. The two little tabs that hold the lifter open sit on a small shelf in the lifter body. The tabs or shelf can get deformed causing the lifter to not open or collapse properly. Or the tabs can just fail since they are all that's holding the lifter open in normal operation. That's why they fail even with DFM disabled. The lifter will collapse when it's not supposed to.

The whole system does rely on varying oil pressure and electric solenoids. Along with a couple of small spring loaded tabs. All that in engines that are known for oil consumption issues, lol. A lot of the failures could be lack of oil issues, but even with proper oil those tabs/springs or the lifter body can just fail. Not to mention the solenoids.
great explanation!!!! im gonna add L9 to deactivate DFM may be a myth.

Unfortunately I don't think just keeping DFM off really helps all that much. I guess the lifters not collapsing or having to relock open could in theory reduce the chances. Looking at photo's of bad lifters online. It seems those tabs and that little shelf gets deformed and the lifter starts collapsing when it shouldn't. That or it collapses half way and gets stuck in the middle. I sort of got the impression the only real fix is a solid lifter that isn't held open with some spring loaded tabs. I also wonder if keeping DFM off most of the time could actually increase the odds of that lifter getting stuck if\when DFM does kick in. I mean it's a steel rod that fits pretty snug in a steel tube. Keeping them moving freely might actually reduce the chances of them getting stuck when they try to collapse.

Who knows. Gm isn't going to admit that there is even a problem, lol. So it's not like they are going to put any information out on best way to avoid lifter problems. Mechanics online just say keep your oil clean and topped off to reduce the chance of a DFM failure. I'm just glad the HDs don't have it.

On the topic of T/H mode, if you are a fan like I am, you don’t need an Auto SS disabler because T/H mode on my 1500 disables Auto SS. So you don’t need to spend money on the Auto SS device and you only have to press the T/H button. The nice thing about T/H mode is that it doesn’t reset every time you turn off the truck. T/H mode will be disabled after the truck sits overnight or for a longer period of time so the computer must be making this decision based on a timer because if you are running errands, then T/H mode will still be enabled when you restart the truck. This post only applies to those of us who desire to be in T/H mode 100% of the time because you like the sportier feel of the shift points especially coupled with the Ultimate 9.

Put the trans in "L" and shift up to 9. It won't cure the chinese lifter issue but it may make the motor last a little longer before it implodes. That will keep the auto stop off and stop the DFM from dropping cylinders.
The lifters are not chinese. Ram also has chinese parts.

Seems very random some go early, so go a while, some have 0 problems.

I would recommend changing the oil at 1500 miles. I did mine and my wife's Tahoe and they both had a distinct silver color in oil and in pan. Both filters I cut open and they had plenty of metal shavings. I think with that much stuff in the oil, it doesn't offer optimum protection. I made a thread on oil filter anatomy.

I doubt that any specific failure could be pinned on oil, especially at 2k miles, but may as well eliminate the potential.
Metal shavings is not a good sign.

Reactions: AXE
Yep that's why I've said you need to buy two GM trucks if you want to stay on the road nowadays.

They don't have a motor for you cause they are too busy selling new trucks and they need motors to do that. There's hundreds of 6.2L in inventory right now.

They got your money, so they couldn't care less. I'd get a lawyer and have them contact GM and the dealer. You'll get a lot more attention once they know you have retained counsel. They'll bring a deal to the table then.
I guess that would have been the situation with Toyotas as well... I heard about valve spring issues with the 5.7s that are similarly catastrophic.

I looked more into it not long after i got my 1500. There is some good videos online detailing GMs DFM and showing some of the failure reasons. The lifter is held open with a couple of spring loaded tabs. When dfm kicks in. Oil pressure is increased to that lifter by a electric solenoid and those tabs are pushed in. That causes the lifter to collapse and not open those valves. The two little tabs that hold the lifter open sit on a small shelf in the lifter body. The tabs or shelf can get deformed causing the lifter to not open or collapse properly. Or the tabs can just fail since they are all that's holding the lifter open in normal operation. That's why they fail even with DFM disabled. The lifter will collapse when it's not supposed to.

The whole system does rely on varying oil pressure and electric solenoids. Along with a couple of small spring loaded tabs. All that in engines that are known for oil consumption issues, lol. A lot of the failures could be lack of oil issues, but even with proper oil those tabs/springs or the lifter body can just fail. Not to mention the solenoids.
I guess the 3 to 4% failure rate is those with proper oil or just bad luck. Oil changes matter greatly in these engines. If it was 15% GM would be out of business.

Reactions: AXE
I've changed it and the next change was clean. You can see my detailed post with photos. I've got two rigs with 6.2s and they both did the same thing. One uses a little oil, but within spec.

I guess the 3 to 4% failure rate is those with proper oil or just bad luck. Oil changes matter greatly in these engines. If it was 15% GM would be out of business.
Ummmm........GM has been bankrupt before and it's certainly possible again.

Ummmm........GM has been bankrupt before and it's certainly possible again.
That was the global recession back then. GM had multiple brands, got bailed out by paying the money in 5 years, and Ford also got bankrupt as well as Chrysler/FCA/RAM. Even Toyota struggled as well (they had to ask money from Japan).

I've changed it and the next change was clean. You can see my detailed post with photos. I've got two rigs with 6.2s and they both did the same thing. One uses a little oil, but within spec.
That is good to hear. Fingers crossed both of them will not develop issues.

As an aside, if you happen to be the current owner of the following VIN(s), please vote. Those were my first two.

3GCUDHEL0NG657746
3GCUDHEL4NG573817

If both are still fine, that's technically 2 more votes for no failure...yet! ;)

Most Member Reactions

Back