6.2 Lifter Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 99 92.5%

• Total voters
I've known a few guys with 1/2T diesels. Everyone loves them. Nobody complaining, but they are still relatively new.

Just like everthing else, you'll either have a few problems or you won't.

The motors are the least of your concerns. It's mostly shitty electronic parts and software that is affecting these current model trucks.

I've known a few guys with 1/2T diesels. Everyone loves them. Nobody complaining, but they are still relatively new.

Just like everthing else, you'll either have a few problems or you won't.

The motors are the least of your concerns. It's mostly shitty electronic parts and software that is affecting these current model trucks.
Until it happens to you. No electronics issues. Just a blowed engine. Been at dealer since 12/2. Was told yesterday GM has no idea when they can ship them a engine.

For the benefit of forum members and those internet researchers, if you have experienced the dreaded lifter failure please post details after voting (I.e. model year, vin, production date, mileage at failure, etc)

You can update your vote IF you unfortunately win this lottery after your initial vote.
Hydraulic Lifter failure in cylinder deactivation lifter. 2017 z71 6.2. Max towing package 3.42 rear end. Failed at 11000 miles idling in driveway around start covid. GM repaired everything to specs and procedures. Full set of new wear parts, cam, pushrods, lifters, oil
stuff. Exhaust gaskets. Everything listed in book to avoid issues. Retuned motor. Ended up 2 mpg better on highway. Even paid 2.5 months of my payments
About 1500 because they had to wait for parts. Traded truck at 47k miles and never had another issue. This is how they avoid recall. I heard a lot of dealers doing band aid jobs. When push rod seized and bent it dinged cam. Everything needs to be replaced for proper wear per GM. Fortunately I was under warranty. Fortunate I had a good dealer, set me up with GM rep to resolve issue to my satisfaction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240312_195933_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240312_195933_Chrome.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 13
Until it happens to you. No electronics issues. Just a blowed engine. Been at dealer since 12/2. Was told yesterday GM has no idea when they can ship them a engine.
Yep that's why I've said you need to buy two GM trucks if you want to stay on the road nowadays.

They don't have a motor for you cause they are too busy selling new trucks and they need motors to do that. There's hundreds of 6.2L in inventory right now.

They got your money, so they couldn't care less. I'd get a lawyer and have them contact GM and the dealer. You'll get a lot more attention once they know you have retained counsel. They'll bring a deal to the table then.

Yep that's why I've said you need to buy two GM trucks if you want to stay on the road nowadays.

They don't have an motor for you cause they are too busy selling new trucks and they need motors to do that. There's hundreds of 6.2L in inventory right now.

They got your money, so they couldn't care less. I'd get a lawyer and have them contact GM and the dealer. You'll get a lot more attention once they know you have retained counsel. They'll bring a deal to the table then.
100%. and according to @Stacy T. facts, slam dunk in NYC. shame, shame, shame!!!! fu mary barra

Lifter concern was a big reason why I went to a HD. Everyone says it's rare. Doesn't seem that rare. Posts in all the GM truck groups pretty regularly. Small sample size, but 7%+ just in this pole is pretty high for a engine failure. Lots of stuff online about just changing the bad lifters isn't really a proper fix. Very possible that other damage or wear is elsewhere in the engine. Does seem pretty common for the same engine to have a second failure later.

Actually mine is not bad lifters. I have a main bearing failure on the bottom side. No replacement parts, totally new engine replacement per GM. Whenever they get parts to build an engine. Georgias lemon laws are some of the best in US for consumers. Have already looked into it.

Lifter concern was a big reason why I went to a HD. Everyone says it's rare. Doesn't seem that rare. Posts in all the GM truck groups pretty regularly. Small sample size, but 7%+ just in this pole is pretty high for a engine failure. Lots of stuff online about just changing the bad lifters isn't really a proper fix. Very possible that other damage or wear is elsewhere in the engine. Does seem pretty common for the same engine to have a second failure later.
My understanding from unfortunate failure experience is there were certain years that lifters seated with glue/thread locking. Cylinder deactivation had 2 oil hole one for v8 and other while going into 4 cylinder to continue lube. Previously lifters where slotted in place. Adhesion fails and rotates, blocks hole in rotated position. Boom unlubricated rod destroys cam seat and metal flake into motor. Honest dealer fix proper. Dishonest dealer band aide hoping it lasts till warranty expire. Just my take as explained to me and my understanding from mechanic that rebuilt motor and explained in simple terms. 37k miles after rebuild original work at 11k miles under warranty. No issues and ran excellent till trade in. Some dealers dont care.

Actually mine is not bad lifters. I have a main bearing failure on the bottom side. No replacement parts, totally new engine replacement per GM. Whenever they get parts to build an engine. Georgias lemon laws are some of the best in US for consumers. Have already looked into it.
Did they give you rental or make your payments while they have your truck?

Fortunate enough to have another vechile to drive. My GM rep told me what to send in for payment reimbursement, just waiting for entire ordeal to be over with so only have to submit it once.

There's over 5000 23 and 24 trucks with 6.2L motors showing in GMs inventory. There's isn't a shortage, except Customer Service. Many of these 24 trucks were likely built in the last 90 days. Tell those pricks to get you a motor.

Last edited:
i agree and imo, one truck is too many. hey mary barra, why are you installing the same faulty parts?? fu mary barra

good luck and godspeed.

My understanding from unfortunate failure experience is there were certain years that lifters seated with glue/thread locking. Cylinder deactivation had 2 oil hole one for v8 and other while going into 4 cylinder to continue lube. Previously lifters where slotted in place. Adhesion fails and rotates, blocks hole in rotated position. Boom unlubricated rod destroys cam seat and metal flake into motor. Honest dealer fix proper. Dishonest dealer band aide hoping it lasts till warranty expire. Just my take as explained to me and my understanding from mechanic that rebuilt motor and explained in simple terms. 37k miles after rebuild original work at 11k miles under warranty. No issues and ran excellent till trade in. Some dealers dont care.
I looked more into it not long after i got my 1500. There is some good videos online detailing GMs DFM and showing some of the failure reasons. The lifter is held open with a couple of spring loaded tabs. When dfm kicks in. Oil pressure is increased to that lifter by a electric solenoid and those tabs are pushed in. That causes the lifter to collapse and not open those valves. The two little tabs that hold the lifter open sit on a small shelf in the lifter body. The tabs or shelf can get deformed causing the lifter to not open or collapse properly. Or the tabs can just fail since they are all that's holding the lifter open in normal operation. That's why they fail even with DFM disabled. The lifter will collapse when it's not supposed to.

The whole system does rely on varying oil pressure and electric solenoids. Along with a couple of small spring loaded tabs. All that in engines that are known for oil consumption issues, lol. A lot of the failures could be lack of oil issues, but even with proper oil those tabs/springs or the lifter body can just fail. Not to mention the solenoids.

I looked more into it not long after i got my 1500. There is some good videos online detailing GMs DFM and showing some of the failure reasons. The lifter is held open with a couple of spring loaded tabs. When dfm kicks in. Oil pressure is increased to that lifter by a electric solenoid and those tabs are pushed in. That causes the lifter to collapse and not open those valves. The two little tabs that hold the lifter open sit on a small shelf in the lifter body. The tabs or shelf can get deformed causing the lifter to not open or collapse properly. Or the tabs can just fail since they are all that's holding the lifter open in normal operation. That's why they fail even with DFM disabled. The lifter will collapse when it's not supposed to.

The whole system does rely on varying oil pressure and electric solenoids. Along with a couple of small spring loaded tabs. All that in engines that are known for oil consumption issues, lol. A lot of the failures could be lack of oil issues, but even with proper oil those tabs/springs or the lifter body can just fail. Not to mention the solenoids.
Yep

Most Member Reactions

Back