6.2 Lifter Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 103 90.4%

• Total voters
@Busa Dave , pretty sure I test drove your truck, wanted to see the new LZO, liked it so much I orders one.
Your right they have a lot but all Bisons, don’t know why they haven’t ordered more oil burners
They are getting more however, right now the demand is more robust than GM planned for the baby Duramax builds. I was also surprised to find that the 6.2 is not nearly as popular as it once was in the half tons. Glad to see the little oil burner getting popular.

My buddy is sure loving the truck and the better mpg's even with only a couple of hundred miles on it. The ride on road he is all smiles. Way too muddy to go out to the ranch in Hood County and get out of the parking area at the house so he has not been off road yet.

I have a ‘21 AT4 with the 6.2L, build of June 2021. No issues with it yet. Hopefully no issues in the next week or two before I drop it off and pick up my 2500 ZR2!

Been a while since I really read much about this, but I’m not sure using the Range, etc, will help much since it’s the mechanical parts that fail, maybe but maybe not. Also, the trucks made in 2021 without DFM still had the same lifters, so again not sure that matters much. If something has been “proven” that I’m unaware of, please post a link, etc (sincere request).

They say the lifters fail due to reduced lubrication when they're collapsed. so if you don't cut the pressure to them they're not subjected to the problem. this is also why they say a better oil can help as well.

This is really somewhat of an overblown problem. if I decide to keep my rig past warranty and I feel there's any chance the range chip didn't solve the problem I'll pull it apart and drop some high quality standard lifters in it. problem solved for a few hundred bucks. it's a little ironic that some people that find this a bridge too far can buy an unproven diesel they know will have to be pulled to replace the oil pump belt after warranty.

They say the lifters fail due to reduced lubrication when they're collapsed. so if you don't cut the pressure to them they're not subjected to the problem. this is also why they say a better oil can help as well.

This is really somewhat of an overblown problem. if I decide to keep my rig past warranty and I feel there's any chance the range chip didn't solve the problem I'll pull it apart and drop some high quality standard lifters in it. problem solved for a few hundred bucks. it's a little ironic that some people that find this a bridge too far can buy an unproven diesel they know will have to be pulled to replace the oil pump belt after warranty.
That’s the beauty of it, you can do you and everyone else can do them…good to have options.

I agree, but the conversation needs to include the problems other engines have if it's to be constructive. everything is based on comparison.

They are mechanics, if you don't trust " they " you can talk to your GM service manager if he'll be honest.

I agree, but the conversation needs to include the problems other engines have if it's to be constructive. everything is based on comparison.

They are mechanics, if you don't trust " they " you can talk to your GM service manager if he'll be honest.

In the end, any mechanical system engineered and built by humans is prone to weaknesses and fail points. My old man used to say, son if you don’t want to have problems with stuff, don’t have stuff…found that to be true

What is the service interval?
According to internet 23 models up
“This is has been a very controversial topic regarding the LM2 - the good news is it's less of a concern now that GM has updated the service interval to 200K miles (was 150K miles) for the belt which drives the oil pump. ”

According to internet 23 models up
“This is has been a very controversial topic regarding the LM2 - the good news is it's less of a concern now that GM has updated the service interval to 200K miles (was 150K miles) for the belt which drives the oil pump. ”
That sounds great! I don't typically keep anything past 30K miles so I guess nothing to worry about then if I decide to get a Babymax next go around.

The “they” I am referring to is any schmuck with a keyboard who can go on the internet and spew whatever they want and usually have no experience in what they are talking about.

I’ll contend the 3.0 duramax, that’s been out since mid-2019 calendar year, is not completely “unproven” at this point given the trucks and SUVs with it on the roads. Outside of emission sensors (a by product of all diesels post government mandates and not a 3.0 duramax problem) and that the DPF COULD clog (not read where it’s an inherent problem for normal driving however, just that it could for “short trips”) The only thing I read consistently on forums is the oil pump belt maintenance “issue”…cmon folks, the horse is dead, GM published it out of the gate as a standard maintenance item. If you do your homework before you buy, you make the educated decision here, this may be a poor design but it’s not blowing up and stranding drivers. It’s apples and oranges.

Now, I certainly agree the oil pump belt design is ridiculous (tranny drop…not an engine drop per earlier comment. the wild chance I have the truck then, I’ll have the tranny gone through at the same time and kill two birds). It will definitely cost at 200k miles or whenever someone does it or has to do it but I still contend its a PUBLISHED maintenance item, it’s only an issue because people don’t like it but expectations are set.

The little diesel has plenty of other problems, some have supposedly been fixed some haven't. but the problems with them exceed the V8's that's a fact, unless somebody here knows more than the guy running the dealership shop.

I'm not saying they're no good, I'm just saying the V8's aren't all bad. personally I don't care for any GM diesel except the 60 series.

Most Member Reactions

Back