All blacked out.

tpp1971

Reaction score
Anyone change the small chrome piece on front door handles?

IMG_1858.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1857.jpeg
    IMG_1857.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1859.jpeg
    IMG_1859.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1860.jpeg
    IMG_1860.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1861.jpeg
    IMG_1861.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
You could hit them with some plasti dip real easily.
I have zero experience with Plastidip. Is it pretty durable? My thumb hits those chrome pieces daily when I unlock the rig. I’m worried it would wear off.

Reactions: AXE
There's some good videos on YouTube. If you can spray paint you can plastic dip.

I've had a bowtie badge blacked out on the grill of a Duramax for 9 years. Bugs rocks, pressure washing, etc and it still looks fine. The beauty of it is that you can peel it off and redo it easily.

You would just mask off everything but a 1/8 inch strip around button. Spray it work a few light coats, then peel off the perimeter and the button will be black.

Otherwise, just have car wrap material added. Probably cost you more.

I have zero experience with Plastidip. Is it pretty durable? My thumb hits those chrome pieces daily when I unlock the rig. I’m worried it would wear off.
I’ve used PlastiDip for years, it’s very durable, use 3 coats and make sure you clean it first with a solvent cleaner. It will last for ages, even with daily contact.

I actually have a tub of black in my garage, if you live near Houston, come grab some.

Can you please tell me what you used for the grill bowtie? I'm in the process of compiling my black out kit and can find most everything except for a solution on that.
I just used Krylon automotive spray paint and clear coat. Several of the guys have used plastidip and had great success. If I was doing it over that is what I would have used. I may plastidip it over the top of the spray paint. Sounds very durable.

I tried to take the flow tie off this weekend. Got all the clips off but the top two. I got scared and gave up.

I tried to take the flow tie off this weekend. Got all the clips off but the top two. I got scared and gave up.
I had that feeling too but just pressed forward and got it off and it was fine. My biggest challenge was the red inner tie and the clips when I put them back together. Had to use some glue to get a good fit. So did others so that sounds common. Mine came out great. Just need to be gentle.

I used Hyper DIp. Scared shitless initally.....like I'm really getting ready to paint my truck. But it turned out great. Clean it, spray it ( I did 7 coats) pick out the crap on the inside with a toothpick. Like it was said above, watch a couple youtube videos. It's actually easy. Oh.....do it in a garage. Wind is not your friend.

Most Member Reactions

Back