Amp Powersteps check engine light

canonicom1

Reaction score
I have installed the AMP power steps on my ZR2 and now I’m getting a check engine light. Any help? The steps seem to working and the truck seems fine.

I disconnected the battery for 15 and the codes are gone. Thanks for the help

You did unplug the battery when you were yanking plugs out of the BCM right?

Those are all lost communication errors.

Glad the negative pull sorted it out

Yep, directions specifically state disconnect battery before install. PIA to splice wires into BCM wire harness. Not plug n play like earlier versions.

You did unplug the battery when you were yanking plugs out of the BCM right?

Those are all lost communication errors.

Glad the negative pull sorted it out
Oh crap you are right. I did at first, thought I was done plugged it in. Didn’t work. Fixed issue so they work. I then got that check engine light which makes sense now.

Reactions: AXE
I damn near did the same thing. I got the wrong OBD plug with only two wires instead of four in my kit. Just about forgot to disconnect battery when I got the new OBD plug to install.

Also when you reconnect the battery, you have to roll down and back up the windows when you first hit the start button to get the computer to reset. Just follow directions shown in the DIC.

Last edited:
Axe and Canon, where did you buy your AMP steps? Which part number?
Axe, did you have to order the 4 wire kit from AMP?
I was planning on installing the xtreme steps, live in Utah with Ice, muck and snow.
Thanks in advance!

... plus, pics of the finished project are always a bonus!

I just got the single motor standard set from 4 Wheel Parts as they had it in stock locally. The drop is perfect, would not want a lower drop.

For some reason, I got a box with the wrong electronics. 4 WP just got me a new set of electronics. The upside was the new box with electronics had two brand new motors as well, so I now have spares......LOL.

This is the part number. You can see how the part number was corrected for this truck. Somehow I got a mixed up set of parts. It was wierd because the outside box looked like it never had been opened, but the inside electronics box had. I think someone in the warehouse was playing fuck around.

Attachments

• 20230206_174457.jpg
    20230206_174457.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 32
This is the part number. You can see how the part number was corrected for this truck. Somehow I got a mixed up set of parts. It was wierd because the outside box looked like it never had been opened, but the inside electronics box had. I think someone in the warehouse was playing fuck around.
Spares! Dayum - great luck! That's the part number that the Amp guy gave me. I'm mounting the xtreme set - the same drop, but with 4 motors - no idler gear. I found them available on REALtruck.
Did you also mount the override switch? thanks, man

I didn't do the override switch. A couple others have and said they like it. I may still add it.

I didn't do the override switch. A couple others have and said they like it. I may still add it.
Thanks AXE. Mind if I pick your brain if I get hung up on the wiring install?

Sure. I recommend doing wiring in the day when you have full light, the wire harnesses have alot of wires and colors and they are hard to see. I ended up using a magnifying glass to distinguish colors. I got them right, but it was a bit of a CF.

Pull the trim panel below the 4x4 switch to get better access to harness plugs. Careful removing wire harness plugs from BCM. Undo the white safety lock on the plug. You don't want to pull wires, but very hard to grasp plug ends. I busted a corner of one of mine off, as it's brittle plastic. It went back in and locked fine.

Last edited:
Sure. . I ended up using a magnifying glass to distinguish colors. I got them right, but it was a bit of a CF.
Thanks for the tips. Slow and methodical is my m.o...

AMP-78255-01A - AMP Research PowerStep Xtreme Running Boards

I did the Xtremes from Real Truck. Remember to disconnect the negative terminal the entire time you are working on them! I’ll take a picture later of mine. You do have to posi-tap some wires. It’s not 100% plug and play.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back