AMP XL Power Assist Steps

AXE

Reaction score
I decided to go with the AMP XL Power Assist Steps for the HD ZR2.

These steps give you and additional 3 inches of drop utilizing a tube running along the rocker panel. The step folds up cleanly into the base of the tube for a nice clean look. I like that the finish matches the Bison bumpers really well.

They were the same basic install process as the 1500, but more hardware due to tube. The hardware is easy to install but helps to have another set of hands to hold one end in place. The electrical requires pulling two harnesses from the BCM and splicing two wires. It is tedious and a little hard to get to under the steering wheel fuse block panel.

Took about 1.5 hours for hardware install and 2.5 to 3 to run wires and make the splices/ connections.

I like how they look and give the appearance of rock sliders and eliminate some of the visible frame and skid plates visible on the Bison.

They are about 12.5 inches above ground and leave about 17 inches stepping into truck. I'm thinking of going to 37 inch tires, so the additional drop will be better.

For reference, the 1500 ZR2 is about 12 inches from ground and 14 inches stepping into truck. Definitely easier to slide into 1500.

They cost about $2,500 delivered. So instead of saving money on the standard AMPs, I ended up spending more than the cost of factory steps, so not any advantage for saving $.

Attachments

• 20231109_135231.jpg
    20231109_135231.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 20231109_135254.jpg
    20231109_135254.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 20231109_135421.jpg
    20231109_135421.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 152
The ordering process was a CF. There wasn't much stock, so I ended up ordering from NAPA online. The order was fulfilled by Auto Accessories Garage Newport Minnesota. That turned out to be a disaster.

NAPA website listed the wrong parts for this truck, so they shipped ones for a 2020 and electrical and hardware is not the same. If that wasn't bad enough, they shipped two boxes of the rail tube and no box with hardware or electronics. One of the boxes had been previously opened and inside it had different parts than the other box even though they had same part number. There is a big green sticker on boxes that states they are a set and not to separate box 1 of 2 and 2 of 2.

Customer service guy was nice and acknowledged it was their fault. Had to wait 2 days for appoval to return and they couldn't guarantee they had the right parts, so asked for refund. I finally got shipping labels and had to repack and haul them to UPS. 10 days later, I'm still waiting for refund.

Meanwhile, I called 4 Wheel Parts and they found me a set and had them two me in two days.

None of them have yet...... LOL! Back at the farm we've got proper quonsets and shops that handle man gear. This little turd garage is just for sxs and motorcycles and ammo.

Last edited:
Hey axe, man you have a great looking truck and seem to be very educated on everything with the upgrades. I also have the amp steps (mine are the extreme) I had a lot of trouble with the wiring down by the port due to the wires not being long enough to solder/crimp etc. Well I had finally gotten it all up and running until I had to send my truck off for hail damage repair. When getting it back both steps open with the opposite side doors release. I.e. you open the driver side and the passenger side steps come down. I contacted the place who did my repairs and they said they can’t help because they did no repairs under the body of the vehicle where the wiring is… well now I’m back to trying to figure out the solution myself, I checked all the wiring and solders and everything seems tight and connected. Any ideas? Thank man!

Hey axe, man you have a great looking truck and seem to be very educated on everything with the upgrades. I also have the amp steps (mine are the extreme) I had a lot of trouble with the wiring down by the port due to the wires not being long enough to solder/crimp etc. Well I had finally gotten it all up and running until I had to send my truck off for hail damage repair. When getting it back both steps open with the opposite side doors release. I.e. you open the driver side and the passenger side steps come down. I contacted the place who did my repairs and they said they can’t help because they did no repairs under the body of the vehicle where the wiring is… well now I’m back to trying to figure out the solution myself, I checked all the wiring and solders and everything seems tight and connected. Any ideas? Thank man!
The only thing that I can think of is that the two purple wires coming from the step can be reversed and that should switch sides into working correctly. One purple wire has a black stripe, so they are meant for opposite sides. Can't recall if the directions mentioned this, but I had the same issue after install and just switched the wires and it was normal.

They may have looseend the wire while performing their work and then redid it the wrong way.

Last edited:
The only thing that I can think of is that the two purple wires coming from the step can be reversed and that should switch sides into working correctly. One purple wire has a black stripe, so they are meant for opposite sides. Can't recall if the directions mentioned this, but I had the same issue after install and just switched the wires and it was normal.

They may have looseend the wire while performing their work and then redid it the wrong way.
I checked the purple wires and it's all wired correctly, I did take out the purple/stripe one and reconnect it and it fixed the issue with the front doors. They now deploy and stow on the correct side when opening or closing the door. But now the back doors do not deploy the steps, and will sometimes deploy the opposite side ones like before.. sheesh, it's looking like I will be taking all the panels off and just removing and reconnecting everything. What was your method for working in the small space with such short wires up over your head? or did you just suffer like I did? lol

Reactions: AXE
I wonder if you have a loose wire connection into the BCM that's causing intermittent issues.

There's a chance your OBD plug may be bad. You can call AMP. They have a good technician that can help. I had problems with my first computer and he helped me troubleshoot that. Ended up getting a new computer.

It was very difficult access. You basically become a contortionist getting up under the dash. Raise the steering wheel. Pull of the plastic fuse panel, push the seat back, and use a rolling stool to sit on if you can. I also removed a few inches of the protective tape on the BCM wires. That allows for more slack to make better connections.

In my opinion, AMP should include a separate pigtail for the two BCM connections that included the wire taps. It would truly be plug n play then and much easier to install.

In my opinion, AMP should include a separate pigtail for the two BCM connections that included the wire taps. It would truly be plug n play then and much easier to install.
For the price that would make sense. I am starting to hear some “gear” noise from my passenger side. Wondering if there might be some “lateral preload” causing the noise. They are lubed better than a Kansas City W$!?e

Reactions: AXE
For the price that would make sense. I am starting to hear some “gear” noise from my passenger side. Wondering if there might be some “lateral preload” causing the noise. They are lubed better than a Kansas City W$!?e
I am not sure there was much Lube visible on my gears when I went to install them. Definitely give them a look to see if they came loose and aren't sitting square. I would probably pull them and see if the gears are rounded.

I had a problem with computer on my first set. Customer Service and tech support was good. They should warranty them. I think Real Truck owns AMP. That's who I called.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back