Average mileage Calculations

blooce_zr2

Reaction score
I am not sure how the vehicle calculates the MPG and Average MPG. When I drive around town I am getting 17ish MPG. When I park it and drive to the next day the mileage automatically starts my MPG at 6/7ish MPG. Takes a while of driving to get back to 17ish MPGs. Shouldn't it start the MPG calculation where it left off? Seems like It is not properly calculating the MPGs. Anyone else notice this?

Reactions: AXE
I am not sure how the vehicle calculates the MPG and Average MPG. When I drive around town I am getting 17ish MPG. When I park it and drive to the next day the mileage automatically starts my MPG at 6/7ish MPG. Takes a while of driving to get back to 17ish MPGs. Shouldn't it start the MPG calculation where it left off? Seems like It is not properly calculating the MPGs. Anyone else notice this?
Since my cluster was “updated”/ radio replaced at the dealer to show the correct truck and splash screen the 25/50/450 mile averages are resetting at key cycles and don’t maintain memory for the distance.

I’ve also lost all “picture by picture” function in the infotainment system.

2 steps forward one step back.

Since my cluster was “updated”/ radio replaced at the dealer to show the correct truck and splash screen the 25/50/450 mile averages are resetting at key cycles and don’t maintain memory for the distance.

I’ve also lost all “picture by picture” function in the infotainment system.

2 steps forward one step back.
That could be it for me too...I just had my cluster update two weeks ago.

What do you mean by "picture to picture" function?

I think it is very different from previous generation electronics. It doesn't make sense to me either.

I have been able to get 15-16 mpg on a couple of trips, but I'm getting a lot closer to 12-13 on average around town. About to take a road trip. Hoping to see 17-18 on highway to make me feel better. I've only got 500 miles on mine, but it's about a 12.5 mpg average.

Last edited:
I think it is very different from previous generation electronics. It doesn't make sense to me either.

I have been able to get 15-16 mpg on a couple of trips, but I'm getting a lot closer to 12-13 on average around town. About to take a road trip. Hoping to see 17-18 on highway to make me feel better. I've only got 500 mikes on mine, but it's about a 12.5 mpg average.
Yeh... I have to drive like an old lady to get 15/16ish...went on the Interstate for a couple hour drive and got 18...a bit disappointing.

Yeh... I have to drive like an old lady to get 15/16ish...went on the Interstate for a couple hour drive and got 18...a bit disappointing.
You running 91 or 93? It doesn't seem to make a difference to me.

You guys did see the 14Mpg EPA combined estimate right? Lol.

The DiC starts from scratch every time. So if you crank the truck drive 2 miles on the gas it's going to show 7-8mpg. If you drive on the highway at 55 for 45 mins it might show 17-18mpg. If you average your mileage with how many gallons your putting in at the pump. You will probably be around 14 mpg...

I just did a 40 mile run mixed city and freeway and got 15.5 mpg. The mileage didn't really start getting better until 20 to 25 miles. I think these things really don't like short trips and stop lights, it seems to kill the average right quick. Even if I baby it, a couple stops can cost you 0.5 mpg on the average.

My window sticker shows about 15 local driving & 17 highway. I calculated my local mileage on fill up the other day and it was 14.8 MPG. That's about what the sticker says. Supercharged trucks get around 10 to 12 MPG so I think that the mileage is pretty common. I don't believe the V6 pickup trucks do much better.

I just drive mine and don't worry about it. Came from a Duramax averaging around 15mpg of diesel. I could get 20mpg on the interstate, still the average was around 15. I've got a couple friends with echoboosts. They don't do much better. Unloaded on the highway sure. As soon as you load the engine their mpg tanks.

I have a bed rack, some towing and hauling and lots of idling. Autostop/start is disabled and I idle a fair amount waiting on my kids at practice, ect. This is my lifetime average. I consider it pretty good actually considering it's an offroad v8 model.
20230302_134929.jpg

I just drive mine and don't worry about it. Came from a Duramax averaging around 15mpg of diesel. I could get 20mpg on the interstate, still the average was around 15. I've got a couple friends with echoboosts. They don't do much better. Unloaded on the highway sure. As soon as you load the engine their mpg tanks.

I have a bed rack, some towing and hauling and lots of idling. Autostop/start is disabled and I idle a fair amount waiting on my kids at practice, ect. This is my lifetime average. I consider it pretty good actually considering it's an offroad v8 model.
View attachment 2005
I agree. I like the power and I wish it had a 3.50 or 3.73 gear ratio. When I was changing oil last week, I noticed that there is plenty of room for a 35 gallon fuel tank! That would have been nice to have. I think the smaller tank sometimes makes the mileage seem worse due to more frequent fill ups.

I still have my Duramax and at about 75k miles my average is just under 15 mpg. Lots of city and mixed driving, some interstate at 75+ mph.

I can get 11-12 mpg rolling down the road at 23,000 lbs gross at 75 mph. That's with 35s and 6 inch lift and about 475 HP Duramax Tuner.

View attachment 2005
I still have my Duramax and at about 75k miles my average is just under 15 mpg. Lots of city and mixed driving, some interstate at 75+ mph.

I can get 11-12 mpg rolling down the road at 23,000 lbs gross at 75 mph. That's with 35s and 6 inch lift and about 475 HP Duramax Tuner.

My window sticker shows about 15 local driving & 17 highway. I c alculated my local mileage on fill up the other day and it was 14.8 MPG. That's about what the sticker says. Supercharged trucks get around 10 to 12 MPG so I think that the mileage is pretty common. I don't believe the V6 pickup trucks do much better.
In YouTube, TFL did an interstate run between Boulder, Colorado and Moab, Utah and got 17 to 19 mpg. I thought that was pretty good in that mountain terrain at high elevation.

In YouTube, TFL did an interstate run between Boulder, Colorado and Moab, Utah and got 17 to 19 mpg. I thought that was pretty good in that mountain terrain at high elevation.
I saw that video and I agree. I'll make that trip some time this year. I usually get really good mileage up high as well. The ECU really leans out the fuel maps. My Hemi Wrangler would get 17 MPG on that run. I like to have fun in the left lane too! I imagine you have a lot of fun with that D - Max set up the way you have it.

Dmax with Duramax Tuner has a +135 hp race tune. It's pushing 550 hp and 1000 foot lbs torque with just a lift pump. It Flys, but I have rarely run it that way. I do the +110 hp some, but usually it's the +55 hp setting, as I drive more sensible that way.
I saw that video and I agree. I'll make that trip some time this year. I usually get really good mileage up high as well. The ECU really leans out the fuel maps. My Hemi Wrangler would get 17 MPG on that run. I like to have fun in the left lane too! I imagine you have a lot of fun with that D - Max set up the way you have it.

Dmax with Duramax Tuner has a +135 hp race tune. It's pushing 550 hp and 1000 foot lbs torque with just a lift pump. It Flys, but I have rarely run it that way. I do the +110 hp some, but usually it's the +55 hp setting, as I drive more sensible that way.
That's smart. You don't want to flex that converter. I'm not sure how much torque that Allison will handle, even with a tune. I know they are pretty tough though.

In my 9000 miles of experience, 15. That’s what they get. Give or take .5

Sure I can hyper-mile the truck and drive like a grandpa on the interstate and snap a pic of 19 average. But it’s not accurate.

I will add that TFL truck drove 55mph for the result they reported.

Also I would rather get 15 with 93 then 25 with diesel. At the end of the day you are spending substantially less overall. There’s much more involved outside of pure fuel pricing to a diesel engine with maintenance.

Not taking away the use case in heavy duty trucks. That’s not a comparable metric.

Last edited:

Sure I can hyper-mile the truck and drive like a grandpa on the interstate and snap a pic of 19 average. But it’s not accurate.

Also I would rather get 15 with 93 then 25 with diesel. At the end of the day you are spending substantially less overall. There’s much more involved outside of pure fuel pricing to a diesel engine with maintenance.

Not taking away the use case in heavy duty trucks. That’s not a comparable metric.
Exactly...I totally agree!

Exactly, I think the 14mph average is pretty spot on for most. Mine is closer to 15, But I live in the country and drive a fair amount on highways at 55 or so. That helps offset my city driving and towing. On the interstate I actually don't get very good mileage. I take regular 1.5 hour trips on the interstate and I typically get around 15-16 running around 70. If I'm in a hurry and running more around 80 I'll get 14-15. These trucks don't have the low chin. That front bumper hanging down with an extra piece of plastic to block air. Is why other trims with the same motor and trans are rated slightly higher MPG.

And I agree on the diesel part. My duramax was tuned and deleted. Straight piped and I also had a few different tunes. It lived on a 100hp tune most of the time... It got way better mileage on the interstate and better mileage towing. But with the cost of diesel and the maintenance put its running costs way higher. The 3.0 baby duramax is much cheaper on maintenance compared to the 6.6. But it feels gutless and slow to me. Especially at highway speeds. Even with that, the higher diesel prices, fuel filters and def, really closes the gap on running costs between it and the 6.2. I'll take 14mpg in the 6.2 all day over 24mpg in a 3.0.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back