Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis

AXE

Reaction score
I got my oil analysis back from Blackstone Labs for the Tahoe. It has 10k miles on the motor and it was a 5k interval oil change.

The note about the water contamination was likely self inflicted. I used a water bottle to collect the sample. I blew it out with an air hose, but there was still some vapor on the inside of the water bottle. I guess it was enough to show up.

Looks like it's mostly in spec. They mention the high copper may be from breaking in. Copper can be a bad sign and indicate bearing failure. We know the crank main and rod bearings failures are real with this motor. I'm not terribly concerned, but may pull another sample at 13K.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240419_183606_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_183606_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
This is the explanation of the report metrics from Blackstone.

Engine Report Explanation

Averages: Both the universal and unit averages are running averages and change with the number of samples we analyze.

Elements: Elements are quantified in the oil at parts per million levels (PPM). This list shows the most common sources of the elements in gasoline or diesel engine oil. Following each element is a description of where it comes from. They are grouped by category.

Wear Metals
Aluminum: Pistons, bearings. Clutch assembly and transmission components in motorcycles

Chromium: Rings, a trace element in steel

Iron: Cylinders, rotating shafts, the valve train, and any steel part sharing the oil. Transmission shafts/gears and bearings in motorcycles

Copper: Brass or bronze parts, copper bushings, bearings, oil coolers

Lead: Bearings, leaded gas, fuel additives

Tin: Bearings, bronze parts, piston coating (rare)

Nickel: Trace element in steel, platings on some cylinder types

Silver: Bearings

Titanium: Some intake valves and connecting rods, aftermarket parts, oil additive

Contaminants
Potassium: Antifreeze, additive in some oil types

Sodium: Antifreeze (ethylene glycol), additive in some gasoline engine oils. Sea water in marine engines

Silicon: Airborne dirt escaping air filtration, sealers, gaskets, sand-casted parts, and spray lubricants, antifreeze inhibitor, oil additives

Additives
Molybdenum: Anti-wear additive, some types of rings

Manganese: Trace element, additive in some gasoline

Boron: Anti-wear/anti-rust additive, antifreeze inhibitor

Calcium: Detergent/dispersant additive

Magnesium:
Detergent/dispersant additive

Phosphorus: Anti-wear additive

Zinc: Anti-wear additive

Barium: Detergent/dispersant additive used in some synthetics

Physical properties Viscosity/Flashpoint: If fuel is present in the oil, the Viscosity and Flashpoint will often be lower than stated in the “Values Should Be” line. A high viscosity may show oil oxidation or high levels of soot. It can also show an oil additive in use.

Fuel %: Indicates the amount of volatile fuel dilution found in the oil.

Antifreeze %: Indicates the amount of antifreeze found in the oil. A question mark means we found possible traces of coolant, but not enough to definitively say it’s there.

Water %: Indicates the amount of water found in the oil.

Insolubles %: Insolubles are solid materials present in the oil. They are typically free carbon from the oxidation of the oil itself, along with blow-by past the rings.

Nice, it’s pretty comparable to my report at 7500 miles with Amsoil signature

View attachment 12246
Excellent! I am glad you posted that. I was sitting here thinking it would be interesting to see some different oils.

It looks like the Amsoil has higher volume of additives compared to Mobil 1. Might be better for wear.

Your copper is higher, so probably going down with more miles.

I should get my ZR2 analysis soon. Sent it in at the same time. I will post it when I get it.

I got the results back for the 10K miles oil analysis on the ZR2. One key difference on my 22 ZR2 is that this change was done at 2k, and was the fourth oil change (1500, 4500, 8000, 10000).

A few differences include higher iron and lower copper for wear metals. Lower molybdenum for the additives.

Looks like both are similar in terms of average wear, so I'll probably feel comfortable running 5k intervals, which seems to be about 70% +/z
- of oil life as shown in the DIC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429_162400_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_162400_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back