Check engine light on day 2

maybe mechanic or service writer took his truck out for a joyride???? scumbag dealer imo.
Possibly…definitely could be a teenage kid moving cars around…

but the question stands, OnStar actually reports acceleration and braking “outside the norm”? And if so, what’s the “norm”? If memory serves they have accident alerts based on crash / impact velocity data points but wasn’t aware they were tracking daily driving at that level.

Possibly…definitely could be a teenage kid moving cars around…

but the question stands, OnStar actually reports acceleration and braking “outside the norm”? And if so, what’s the “norm”? If memory serves they have accident alerts based on crash / impact velocity data points but wasn’t aware they were tracking daily driving at that level.
our trucks do have telemetry boxes. all types of data can be stored.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. These motors aren't going to blow because of some hard acceleration.

The two main issues are bad lifters and bad crank breakings. The motor design itself is pretty solid. It's been pretty rare to have motors fail, but has happened. Not sure if those bad parts have been flushed out of system yet or not.

I would recommend an early oil change. You can see my post on cutting the filter open. There's plenty of metal particles in filter and oil looks gray at first change. I would do it at 1000 or 1500 miles for sure.

When i was shopping for my wife's Tahoe, the salesman was giving me a ride in a 6.2L truck to a storage lot about 1/4 mile away to look at a rig. He said "this has got the big boy in it". Floored it out of the lot, damn near bounced off a few cars and people, damn near ran into security gate, drove around storage lot like NASCAR, floored it back to showroom.

Truck smelled like it was on fire when I got out. I couldn't believe the guy even had a job......yee haw!

Last edited:
our trucks do have telemetry boxes. all types of data can be stored.
I understand that…I am just very surprised that OnStar provided an apparent summary reporting 2 hard accelerations and stops…what does that actually mean? I am super curious about those parameters.

Hell, some of us would be lighting the OnsStar dashboard up like a Christmas tree 😅

I understand that…I am just very surprised that OnStar provided an apparent summary reporting 2 hard accelerations and stops…what does that actually mean? I am super curious about those parameters.

Hell, some of us would be lighting the OnsStar dashboard up like a Christmas tree 😅
200%..lol.

Update: just got back from the dealer and they advised they are waiting on confirmation on when the part shall be shipped. To make things even worse, despite them telling me the truck is parked waiting for parts, I received a summary from Onstar highlighting that the car was driven around the dealership for 12 minutes with 2 high acceleration and 2 hard stops. This honestly made me lose it as i was taking care of the car during the Break In period without any high acceleration until at least over 1000 KM. Their service manager took it personally and was defensive. What a nightmare experience with these guys. Not sure if its bad luck or what.
That's pretty annoying. I don't blame you for being upset. It's your truck, not theirs. I'm the same way on a new vehicle. I try to vary the RPMs and I don't floor it and wind it out until I get some break in miles on them. I also do the first oil change pretty early. Everything in a new vehicle is wearing in. But regardless of who does what for break in. You bought it new with just factory miles on it. It should be your call how it's driven.

Update: i called the dealership today on the status of any reimbursements while my car waits for the video processing module from the US which takes about 19 days as per them, they informed me that they would check with GM and let me know. Later on today, they called me and said the car has been fixed and i can take it tomorrow if i wish and they will inform me once the part arrives here so it can be installed. I will go tomorrow to get the details on what they have done to fix and will demand that to be in writing (printout from the system). Now, it got me thinking, and would love to get an expert opinion, if as they say my video model failed, is it normal to get messages such as “ service transmission unable to shift soon” + “ service TC” ? Their explanation is that the car has many computers that are inline and if one failed random messages might yield that are unrelated to the shown message on the dash. Does this make sense? I will go see them tomorrow and update you. They ruined it for me honestly. Not sure what can GM do for me in this case.

Happy new years all. Sorry for the long message.

Update: i called the dealership today on the status of any reimbursements while my car waits for the video processing module from the US which takes about 19 days as per them, they informed me that they would check with GM and let me know. Later on today, they called me and said the car has been fixed and i can take it tomorrow if i wish and they will inform me once the part arrives here so it can be installed. I will go tomorrow to get the details on what they have done to fix and will demand that to be in writing (printout from the system). Now, it got me thinking, and would love to get an expert opinion, if as they say my video model failed, is it normal to get messages such as “ service transmission unable to shift soon” + “ service TC” ? Their explanation is that the car has many computers that are inline and if one failed random messages might yield that are unrelated to the shown message on the dash. Does this make sense? I will go see them tomorrow and update you. They ruined it for me honestly. Not sure what can GM do for me in this case.

i know its hard but dont let it bother you too much. most of us here on the forum have had some issue with our trucks.

Reactions: ZR2
IDK but I would say the electronics are not very reliable in these trucks.

I've gotten two messages on my DIC in my 2500HD ZR2 in less than two months and 800 miles. Trailer disconnect and service park brake flashing in DIC. Both equipment features still function fine, but clearly the computer thinks otherwise. Dealer could not replicate, so gonna have to go in again.

PIA, but that's how it's gonna be with trucks that function 100% on multiple computers, wires, and questionable programming.

Last edited:
IDK but I would say the electronics are not very reliable in these trucks.

I've gotten two messages on my DIC in my 2500HD ZR2 in less than two months and 800 miles. Trailer disconnect and service park brake flashing in DIC. Both equipment features still function fine, but clearly the computer thinks otherwise. Dealer could not replicate, so gonna have to go in again.

PIA, but that's how it's gonna be with trucks that function 100% on multiple computers, wires, and questionable programming.
Thank you my man. I would think you won’t get stuck in the US, if not the dealership, there are plenty of truck and GM experts out there. My dream was once to ship my dodge charger back in the day to the US and mod the hell out of it lol but who knows i might do it with the truck if it ain’t that costly.

np...start new year off the right way. just know 99% of your questions can be answered here in this forum. IMO no other smarter and funnier bunch of people!!!
True said brother

This is one reason I have a dash cam that records these things. Funny story-----Had the GM of a Ford dealer who I know call me and apologize on my 22 F250 Tremor (I traded for the ZR2 on) he was looking into why my Dash Cam was unplugged when I picked it up and would take care of it! Agreed that that is something that should not happen.

So---even with a dash cam front and rear it is not failsafe!

Had the GM of a Ford dealer who I know call me and apologize on my 22 F250 Tremor (I traded for the ZR2 on) he was looking into why my Dash Cam was unplugged when I picked it up and would take care of it! Agreed that that is something that should not happen.
Where did you have your dash cam connected?

This is one reason I have a dash cam that records these things. Funny story-----Had the GM of a Ford dealer who I know call me and apologize on my 22 F250 Tremor (I traded for the ZR2 on) he was looking into why my Dash Cam was unplugged when I picked it up and would take care of it! Agreed that that is something that should not happen.

So---even with a dash cam front and rear it is not failsafe!
Yeah man wouldn’t blame you and i wish i have a hidden dash cam to see what those idiots do!

Update:

Just picked up the truck earlier today. Well, they told me they’re still waiting for the video processing module to arrive from the states, however they said they fixed. What I understood from them is that they found some sort of messed up connections inside the module chip, the guy said we brushed it and applied heat..etc and no codes are showing. I asked them to write what they did as you can see from the attached you wouldn’t understand his writing unless you’re a doctor prescribing 😂.

You wouldn’t believe when they brought the car to the delivery section, i saw my baby daughter seat in the freaking bed, i came close and the whole freaking back seat was there! I went to the manger and he rushed and took the car and put the seat back in. They took the seat ( one section of it) because behind it is where the video processing module is located. Anyway took the truck and gave it a shower and enjoying it now.

Attachments

• IMG_8033.jpeg
    IMG_8033.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 19
Update:

Just picked up the truck earlier today. Well, they told me they’re still waiting for the video processing module to arrive from the states, however they said they fixed. What I understood from them is that they found some sort of messed up connections inside the module chip, the guy said we brushed it and applied heat..etc and no codes are showing. I asked them to write what they did as you can see from the attached you wouldn’t understand his writing unless you’re a doctor prescribing 😂.

You wouldn’t believe when they brought the car to the delivery section, i saw my baby daughter seat in the freaking bed, i came close and the whole freaking back seat was there! I went to the manger and he rushed and took the car and put the seat back in. They took the seat ( one section of it) because behind it is where the video processing module is located. Anyway took the truck and gave it a shower and enjoying it now.
Well FWIW, they were telling the truth on that part lol. It's on the bottom left, on the passengers side.. Same deal on the HDs also. I have my back seat out on mine right now.

20221023_225420.jpg

Update:

excellent news bro. im loving the fact that your dealer is just as crappy as ours here in the states.

Reactions: ZR2
Where did you have your dash cam connected?
It was wired in through the rear view mirror housing with the other electronics. The rear camera was stuck on the upper passenger side and the cable went back to the harness where it plugged in. Have pretty much the same one on my ZR2. It is a Thinkware U 1000 unit but it is sold through GM. They had it on sale and the installation was very reasonable. Saved about 400.00 from going to the plain U 1000 unit getting it installed at an electronics retailer.

Most Member Reactions

Back