Cold air intake

How? Air is air, fuel is fuel! There's always performance gains when you increase fuel and air. If you haven't been on a dyno you'll never know. Show me one dyno test on a 6.2L motor that lost power after a CAI. You might not gain enough to notice, but you not likely losing power or any other performance variable.
If you are sucking in HOT air versus cold air, that will reduce performance. Folks that install the open filter CAIs, like K&N, are actually hurting their truck versus helping. If the MAF sensor is moved to a not so ideal location, that can impact performance. Come on AXE, you know better!

If you are sucking in HOT air versus cold air, that will reduce performance. Folks that install the open filter CAIs, like K&N, are actually hurting their truck versus helping. If the MAF sensor is moved to a not so ideal location, that can impact performance. Come on AXE, you know better!
The K&N I used is similar to the Air aid jr. which was not in stock at the time I installed mine. MAF is retained in original position and factory filter box is also retained.

Reactions: AXE
The K&N I used is similar to the Air aid jr. which was not in stock at the time I installed mine. MAF is retained in original position and factory filter box is also retained.
Which is exactly what you want my friend! Great choice.

I do know better, that's why I've corrected your alternative facts.

The air temperature of air flowing into that box isn't making enough of a difference to make a difference.

If you think there isn't air moving through that engine bay, you haven't looked at the front end closely. If there wasn't, the entirety of plastic fantastic parts found under the hood would be dripping on the ground.

You make more power by adding more air and fuel, it's been that way forever. Unless you post some dyno results showing loss of power, it's just arm waving.

Go take a look at the Camaro forums. I'll bet there are plenty running CAIs in their 6.2s. I'm sure they can tell the story.

Different kind of Chevrolet motors and setup here, but the results show the two things discussed in this thread to be true. 1) is there are likely HP/TQ gains by increasing airflow and 2) the sound coming from the motor is more aggressive.........hmmmm!

Last edited:
Different kind of Chevrolet motors and setup here, but the results show the two things discussed in this thread to be true. 1) is there are likely HP/TQ gains by increasing airflow and 2) the sound coming from the motor is more aggressive.........hmmmm!

At what RPM.....

At what RPM.....
Look at the dyno charts in the videos, it looks across the board to me but most above 3000. You're gonna get peak HP/torque at some rpm above normal operating/cruising speeds, say 3500-4500.

I know when I run through the gears using the paddle shifters you stay in the power band if you don't drop below 3500 rpms. If you shift after peak torque, just before peak HP, you'll get the most out of this 6.2L cause your taking advantage of gearing. I found this stament which is a little more specific. "You shift at the point at which torque at the axles (flywheel torque x transmission ratio x differential ratio x 0.85) in the current gear falls below what torque in the next higher gear would be".

You don't need the help of a CAI to have good performance in a higher HP motor like the 6.2L.

Last edited:
Has anyone done the upgraded cold air intake, im in California and not sure if i can even order one here smh but theres ways around that, im curious as to if its even worth the hassle of getting one, i feel the 6.2L would really like it, anyone got anything for this topic? I really appreciate all the info that i read from everyone on here yall are great, thanks for all the positive feed back so far!
2017 6.2 420hp. I had a k/n high flow filter 6.2, my friend had cold air on 6.2. He had borla attack.
I had gm borla cat backs. I had 3.42 rear. He had 3.23. Mine ltz his high country. My truck always was a little faster with rear gear. Cold air intake other than sound never made it faster. It looked cool, but there was plenty of air stock box with good filter. Maybe tuned and running higher hp might come into play but stock motor seems not noticeable. Just my opinion.

2017 6.2 420hp. I had a k/n high flow filter 6.2, my friend had cold air on 6.2. He had borla attack.
I had gm borla cat backs. I had 3.42 rear. He had 3.23. Mine ltz his high country. My truck always was a little faster with rear gear. Cold air intake other than sound never made it faster. It looked cool, but there was plenty of air stock box with good filter. Maybe tuned and running higher hp might come into play but stock motor seems not noticeable. Just my opinion.
You'd have to make at least 7-10% more HP to feel it in these heavy trucks. That's 30-40HP, a CAI might not even get you 6-10 HP.

Unless you can provide data from the same vehicle, on the same dyno, on the same day, pre and post CAI install its silly to make blanket statements about any gain or loss of performance from a product.

This is my first post...hello all...I have a 2022 Zr2 :)
Unless you drive your rig everyday in the same conditions, it's silly to compare anything. Mine run from -20°F to 120°F, from 100-10000 msl. Never noticed a difference when your running 450-525 HP. You get what you get with whatever your setup is.

If you want easy power that you know you have, all you gotta do is add a nitrous or methanol/water injection system. It's low cost and relatively easy to do.

Unless you can provide data from the same vehicle, on the same dyno, on the same day, pre and post CAI install its silly to make blanket statements about any gain or loss of performance from a product.

This is my first post...hello all...I have a 2022 Zr2 :)
what color???

Unless you drive your rig everyday in the same conditions, it's silly to compare anything. Mine run from -20°F to 120°F, from 100-10000 msl. Never noticed a difference when your running 450-525 HP. You get what you get with whatever your setup is.

If you want easy power that you know you have, all you gotta do is add a nitrous or methanol/water injection system. It's low cost and relatively easy to do.

Sounds like you are enjoying your truck in a wide variety of temperatures and elevations (y)

Has anyone done the upgraded cold air intake, im in California and not sure if i can even order one here smh but theres ways around that, im curious as to if its even worth the hassle of getting one, i feel the 6.2L would really like it, anyone got anything for this topic? I really appreciate all the info that i read from everyone on here yall are great, thanks for all the positive feed back so far!
I did the S&B cai for my 22 ZR2. Noticeable low end growl. Slight bump in power when “rolling” into the accelerator, not noticeable if you mash the pedal. I happen to believe the cai helps not only with mass but it improves the velocity of that air. Extremely happy with my S&B over stock. I had the Volant cai on my old 5.3 2015 was very happy with that too. I ran it for 4 years no problems

The goal was to make the 6.2 sound like a proper American V8.
Have you looked at the Different Borla cat backs. They have 3 different sounds for 6.2. I had a gm borla. Quiet and no drone on highway or cruising. . Get into it and it definitely wakes up.

Most Member Reactions

Back