Cylinder drop out

Corb1973

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have just replaced the original exhaust with a AFE high flow cat back system which sounds awesome and changed the airbox out for an AFE GT Momentum cold air induction system which also has added more power to the truck.
Is there a way to stop the cylinders dropping out so it runs like a V8 should............all the time?
The ECU is currently encrypted and we are just waiting for a chance to dyno the truck once possible.
Any feedback would be much appreciated as there still isn't much knowledge in Aus about the trucks as they are only a recent addition to the country.

Cheers

I assume you are speaking about cruising with cylinder deactivation.

Some say driving in tow mode where gear selection is possible is away around this. If you are able to hold gears I believe you are able to run all cylinders.

Tow haul mode doesn't make a shit bit of difference unless you're running 3500 to 5500 rpms using the paddle shifters. Otherwise you may as well have a 5.3L grandpa rig!

Cheers for the reply.
Last thing I want is a GRANDPA rig.
I will wait until we can put it on a dyno and see what results that we can get and let you all know.

Tow haul mode doesn't make a shit bit of difference unless you're running 3500 to 5500 rpms using the paddle shifters. Otherwise you may as well have a 5.3L grandpa rig!
I disagree. I like the way it felt and shifts better than stock. That, with the Untimate9, makes this rig feel like a Corvette ;)

I disagree. I like the way it felt and shifts better than stock. That, with the Untimate9, makes this rig feel like a Corvette ;)
LOL.......which Corvette? I've ridden in Vettes and Vipers, I never once thought these are just like slow ass half ton truck!

These are fun trucks to drive, but they ain't high b performance sports cars.

LOL.......which Corvette? I've ridden in Vettes and Vipers, I never once thought these are just like slow ass half ton truck!

These are fun trucks to drive, but they ain't high b performance sports cars.
Just trying to make a point...you don't have to take everything literally ;) The shift points on Tow I like better and the truck, with with U9 unit, makes this half ton feel super quick and extremely fun to drive. It never fails to put a smile on my face :D

Hello All,
I have just replaced the original exhaust with a AFE high flow cat back system which sounds awesome and changed the airbox out for an AFE GT Momentum cold air induction system which also has added more power to the truck.
Is there a way to stop the cylinders dropping out so it runs like a V8 should............all the time?
The ECU is currently encrypted and we are just waiting for a chance to dyno the truck once possible.
Any feedback would be much appreciated as there still isn't much knowledge in Aus about the trucks as they are only a recent addition to the country.

Cheers
My work around to this has been to run in Tow Mode. Some folks say it doesn't work but it sure feels different to me without the tugging that you feel in regular mode.

My work around to this has been to run in Tow Mode. Some folks say it doesn't work but it sure feels different to me without the tugging that you feel in regular mode.
i do L9 and tow mode. my 8.9 miles a gallon im getting may confirm, not sure. i really dont notice any different sound thru Borla cat back. somebody gotta know definitive answer.

i do L9 and tow mode. my 8.9 miles a gallon im getting may confirm, not sure. i really dont notice any different sound thru Borla cat back. somebody gotta know definitive answer.
I did L9 for quite a while. As @SeaHunt stated above as well, it "feels" and shifts much better in TOW mode so that's all I use now.

Hello All,

Cheers
I run in L9 all the time. AFM will activate in 10th gear. It seems to run through the gears better in tow mode. I feel like it short shifts in D.

Is there any long term adverse effects for running Tow Mode, to either the engine or the transmission? (Other than lower fuel economy)

There’s no impact to engine or transmission, the ONLY thing L9 does is not allow it to shift into 10th gear (it effectively becomes a 9 speed transmission) This in and of itself simply will not negatively impact your drivetrain.

Tow haul mode adjusts shift points and the TQM (torque management software) but its factory settings and therefore not going to put anything at risk.

Thats all the plug n play throttle control units like the ultimate 9 thing security guy is big on does as well, adjusts TQM which may or may not be within factory specs. I’m not stating it does or doesn’t, but it’s aftermarket so no guarantees.

There’s no impact to engine or transmission, the ONLY thing L9 does is not allow it to shift into 10th gear (it effectively becomes a 9 speed transmission) This in and of itself simply will not negatively impact your drivetrain.

Tow haul mode adjusts shift points and the TQM (torque management software) but its factory settings and therefore not going to put anything at risk.

Thats all the plug n play throttle control units like the ultimate 9 thing security guy is big on does as well, adjusts TQM which may or may not be within factory specs. I’m not stating it does or doesn’t, but it’s aftermarket so no guarantees.
The U9 will not create any issues at all related to the tranny. It only impact throttle sensitivity.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back