DRL Recall Before / After

dw886

Reaction score
So many people already know about the GM DRL recall - it's to fix some issue where the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) are still active when the headlights turn on. I keep getting prompted to install the "Software Update" in my truck. What I'm really trying to understand is:
  • Which lights on the front are classified as "Daytime Running Lights"?
  • Which of these DRLs on my truck does this software update turn off when the headlights are on?
  • Do I really want this update?
Does anyone have a before / after picture of this?

I saw a 2021+ Escalade driving down the street the other night, and the signature vertical lights on the bottom left / right weren't on. That got me thinking "are those the DRLs for an Escalade that get turned off with this update?", which lead me to ask the question about our ZR2s.

This is what I found when searching Bing+ChatGPT for the recall:
"According to a news article by CarComplaints, General Motors has recalled more than **338,000 vehicles** equipped with running lights that may not deactivate when the headlights are on¹. The daytime running lights must go off when the headlights are turned on due to the glare to oncoming drivers¹.

The recall was later expanded to more than **825,000 Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC vehicles** in the U.S. and Canada². According to GM, these vehicles may have daytime running lights that do not turn off when the headlights are on²³.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/28/2023(1) GM Daytime Running Lights Recall Affects 338,000 Vehicles. https://bing.com/search?q=gm+recall+daytime+running+lights Accessed 3/28/2023.
(2) GM Recall Expanded Over Daytime Running Lights. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2022/gm-recall-daytime-running-lights.shtml Accessed 3/28/2023.
(3) GM recalls over 825K vehicles to fix daytime running lights. https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wir...-vehicles-fix-daytime-running-lights-95216658 Accessed 3/28/2023.
(4) GM recalls 340K big SUVs; daytime running lights can stay on. https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/gm-recalls-340k-big-suvs-daytime-running-lights-93050528 Accessed 3/28/2023.
(5) F/CMVSS Noncompliance Recall N222386380 Daytime Running Lights (DRL .... https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCRIT-22V903-9447.pdf Accessed 3/28/2023."

Reactions: AXE
So many people already know about the GM DRL recall - it's to fix some issue where the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) are still active when the headlights turn on. I keep getting prompted to install the "Software Update" in my truck. What I'm really trying to understand is:
  • Which lights on the front are classified as "Daytime Running Lights"?
  • Which of these DRLs on my truck does this software update turn off when the headlights are on?
  • Do I really want this update?
Does anyone have a before / after picture of this?

I saw a 2021+ Escalade driving down the street the other night, and the signature vertical lights on the bottom left / right weren't on. That got me thinking "are those the DRLs for an Escalade that get turned off with this update?", which lead me to ask the question about our ZR2s.
The DRLs are the white boomerang lights below the Headlights

I keep postponing the update, but here's how my headlights work right now.

If I understand this correctly, this means that I'll no longer have the crescent shaped lights (and maybe even the zr2 marker lamps that are in between the high beams) after this update?

Anyone have this recall / update done yet that can comment?

Attachments

• 20230328_144322.jpg
    20230328_144322.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230328_144255.jpg
    20230328_144255.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230328_144228.jpg
    20230328_144228.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230328_144150.jpg
    20230328_144150.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 66
I keep postponing the update, but here's how my headlights work right now.

If I understand this correctly, this means that I'll no longer have the crescent shaped lights (and maybe even the zr2 marker lamps that are in between the high beams) after this update?

Anyone have this recall / update done yet that can comment?
I have had the update applied. All my running lights are still on when my headlights are. They are just slightly dimmed.

I have had the update applied. All my running lights are still on when my headlights are. They are just slightly dimmed.
Mine updated Sunday. All running lights are still on, just dimmer as well.

There's a recall for a reason, just do it. Mine was completed and I didn't even notice anything different.

A few things I’ve noticed since the OTA update

- settings icon changed
- google assistant no longer the google colours and matches the blue themed icons now

A few things I’ve noticed since the OTA update

- settings icon changed
- google assistant no longer the google colours and matches the blue themed icons now
Same. I liked it better the other way

Most Member Reactions

Back