Excessive Oil Consumption

Ereed45

Reaction score
My truck only has 9,000 miles on it and it is using a quart of 0-20W every 2,000 miles. Dealer tells me this is normal for the 6.2 motors ? I broke it in easy & have changed the oil twice now. Is anyone else experiencing this?

My truck only has 9,000 miles on it and it is using a quart of 0-20W every 2,000 miles. Dealer tells me this is normal for the 6.2 motors ? I broke it in easy & have changed the oil twice now. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Not normal. I have over 7000 miles and have burned ZERO.

My wife's Escalade had this issue. It's getting better over time. The 3 other 6.2s in the fam haven't had this challenge.

That is the spec, was told the same by my service advisor. He was a little surprised, cause it was 3k in previous generation motors.

You can see my thread I posted about my oil consumption. At first I thought it might be close to 1 quart per 2k, but I think I'm closer to 0.5 quarts per 2k after some more precise measuring my last drain.

If I was you, I wouldn't sweat it. I would do oil changes at 2500 miles and never add a drop.

There's 8 quarts of oil in a 6 quart motor. The oil is like water, so you need 33.3% more to compensate. I would expect them to have some evaporation and blow by on this motor that's working harder than the 5.3L.

Most Member Reactions

Back