First oil change

I agree with both of you on having old school mentality. Me too! I'm a 3K service interval as well. Those lifters are some weird looking unit's in these engines. Some of the holes are as small as a finish nail, clean oil is imperative.
that was exactly my thinking on lifters issue. i bought a 70k truck, put an $1800 exhaust thru dealer and paid about $2500 for GM warranty. im not gonna skimp on extra oil changes. in my world, whether it helps or not, it cant hurt. time will tell.

that was exactly my thinking on lifters issue. i bought a 70k truck, put an $1800 exhaust thru dealer and paid about $2500 for GM warranty. im not gonna skimp on extra oil changes. in my world, whether it helps or not, it cant hurt. time will tell.
I usually buy the two 5 - quart containers and have two quarts left. So every 4 oil changes and you have eight quarts. That way only a filter is needed.

I did my first change at 2500 miles then my second at 7500. I didn’t sample the first but sent a sample of the second to Blackstone.

I believe @AXE cut his filter open on his 1500 and 2500. They catch a lot on a new engine, it makes me feel better getting that oil and filter swapped out to flush the residual junk out.

I usually buy the two 5 - quart containers and have two quarts left. So every 4 oil changes and you have eight quarts. That way only a filter is needed.
for simplicity, my friends shop does a change every 2000 miles with AC delco filter and good oil. i pay him $80 and tip the mechanic. no brainer.

I changed mine at 1000, I'm sure it was a waste. but as important as how often you change oil is what oil you put back in. this has been covered EXTENSIVLY on the TRX forum I'm on and with many Blackstone samples on various oils it's pretty well established that Redline and Amsoil Signature are at the top of the oil food chain. there are a few others that are in the same class, none are better.

So that's what I run in my TRX and Zr2. is it going to make a difference? who knows. but I know I'm doing the best I can and it's worth a few bucks more to me.

I changed mine at 1000, I'm sure it was a waste. but as important as how often you change oil is what oil you put back in. this has been covered EXTENSIVLY on the TRX forum I'm on and with many Blackstone samples on various oils it's pretty well established that Redline and Amsoil Signature are at the top of the oil food chain. there are a few others that are in the same class, none are better.

So that's what I run in my TRX and Zr2. is it going to make a difference? who knows. but I know I'm doing the best I can and it's worth a few bucks more to me.
You're right on. good choice on the TRX. too.

OCI is such a personal preference, a couple of the Tribologists I respect have some pretty hard and fast rules, first between 500-1500 max to remove initial silicon leaching and metal filings load from all the pieces getting acquainted inside the engine, and then 3K if you plan to keep it for up to 20 years or more, 5K if you plant to keep it up to 10-12 years, and the manufacturers recommended if you are leasing or trade in every 3-5 years. I change at 5K.

OCI is such a personal preference, a couple of the Tribologists I respect have some pretty hard and fast rules, first between 500-1500 max to remove initial silicon leaching and metal filings load from all the pieces getting acquainted inside the engine, and then 3K if you plan to keep it for up to 20 years or more, 5K if you plant to keep it up to 10-12 years, and the manufacturers recommended if you are leasing or trade in every 3-5 years. I change at 5K.
i was planning on keeping this truck but im also curious to see the 25' model year.

I did the first oil change myself at 1K miles. I was surprised how dark the oil was for such a short time. It was the easiest DIY oil and filter change. Used Mobil 1 and AC Delco filter.

I’ll get back on the factory interval going forward.

I always do my 1st around 1500. Second one after another 3k. Then around 5k or when the DIC says about 35%. I also think doing the 1st couple early is good practice. Any of the oil analysis videos online always show elevated levels the first couple of changes. Just makes sense to get that junk out of there sooner rather then later.

I'm probably gonna do it about 3-4000 miles. I'll cut the filter open AND I'm sending an oil sample to Blackstone....
Thoughts?
I'd do it a lot sooner. My oil looked silver at 1500 miles. Filter had plenty of filings.

Oil analysis might not tell you much, as that first oil has a lot of contamination. But if your gonna do it every time, it might be a good start.

I'm about to send in 10k samples on two rigs. Oil looks good, filters look good at 3-5k oil interval.

I did the first oil change myself at 1K miles. I was surprised how dark the oil was for such a short time. It was the easiest DIY oil and filter change. Used Mobil 1 and AC Delco filter.

I’ll get back on the factory interval going forward.
FWIW, I thought oil was very dirty at 1500 first change, not too bad at 5000 second change, and actually looked just at good at 10,000 for 3rd change on my wife's 6.2L. I think 3000-5000k changes are probably not significantly different.

I'd do it a lot sooner. My oil looked silver at 1500 miles. Filter had plenty of filings.

Oil analysis might not tell you much, as that first oil has a lot of contamination. But if your gonna do it every time, it might be a good start.

I'm about to send in 10k samples on two rigs. Oil looks good, filters look good at 3-5k oil interval.
im intetested in results

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back