First oil change

I just had my first oil change at 4500 miles. The tech said everything looked good.

im also curious at what year/mileage are we gonna do a trans service regardless of factory recommendations. my truck is at 2 year mark with 9.8k
My service advisor said they now recommend them at 25k and it's a pan off change to.do the filter. No drain or dipstick.

I would say 20k minimum, unless you think your transmission got hot. Mine runs pretty cool even if I'm running through the gears and running in 110 ambient temps.

My service advisor said they now recommend them at 25k and it's a pan off change to.do the filter. No drain or dipstick.

I would say 20k minimum, unless you think your transmission got hot. Mine runs pretty cool even if I'm running through the gears and running in 110 ambient twmps.
My trans has been hot twice while offroading. Went to the dealer right after both times and they said it was fine. I will do a flush next oil change. I'm at 18k miles

I would say 20k minimum, unless you think your transmission got hot. Mine runs pretty cool even if I'm running through the gears and running in 110 ambient temps.
holy shit @AXE ...my thought exactly was 25k. we have a filter/pan combo thats under pressure. i want converter drained too. im gonna let dealer handle it if i dont upgrade to 25'.

My trans has been hot twice while offroading. Went to the dealer right after both times and they said it was fine. I will do a flush next oil change. I'm at 18k miles
That's why I want a dipstick. It's easier to do a quick check of fluid levels and color. If it's still reddish pink your probably good, if it's a little orange, it's starting to deteriorate, if it's yellowish/ brownish it got warm and toasted, if it's brownish/blackish it's been really hot and burnt.

That's why I want a dipstick. It's easier to do a quick check of fluid levels and color. If it's still reddish pink your probably good, if it's a little orange, it's starting to deteriorate, if it's yellowish/ brownish it got warm and toasted, if it's brownish/blackish it's been really hot and burnt.
back in the day, you could smell the dipstick and know the fate of your trans.

B & M makes one for the F150, 10 speed. I'll bet they make one for the Chevy. A person could get ripped off having this service done because you can't see it. There is a tiny little dipstick on the side of the tranny just above the oil pan, The technician uses a scan tool to measure the temp and fill level. I'm thinking, measure what comes out and refill , warm it up until it starts to run out? I just don't trust many shops to do this! I don't see an expansion amount warm being hugely different. Hell they could show a bottle of dirty ATF and say here it is!

Yep. I too would like a dip stick. Dalership said it was normal color.

B & M makes one for the F150, 10 speed. I'll bet they make one for the Chevy. A person could get ripped off having this service done because you can't see it. There is a tiny little dipstick on the side of the tranny just above the oil pan, The technician uses a scan tool to measure the temp and fill level. I'm thinking, measure what comes out and refill , warm it up until it starts to run out? I just don't trust many shops to do this! I don't see an expansion amount warm being hugely different. Hell they could show a bottle of dirty ATF and say here it is!
Yep. If you're a little ambitious, you can do it yourself. Probably make a mess. Gotta get the exhaust pipe out of the way. The pan has a reusable gasket. I don't think it's hard to replace filter and fluid.

I trust my dealer so long as it's a service tech dropping the pan and not a lube monkey doing the work. Mostly I only trust me.

Last edited:
I first changed mine at 600 miles with Amsoil 5-40 Signature series and use EA filters. I change mine when the filter life gets to 25% or so. Usually, every 5 to 6k. Been doing this for many years on all of my trucks. Last week even did the fuel filter a little early.

I first changed mine at 600 miles with Amsoil 5-40 Signature series and use EA filters. I change mine when the filter life gets to 25% or so. Usually, every 5 to 6k. Been doing this for many years on all of my trucks. Last week even did the fuel filter a little early.
5W40? Is that a good idea based on the lifter issues these trucks may have?

Got it...didn't see you have a diesel...my bad!
The lifter issue is real in the 6.2 trucks. Know of 2 people who have had to have engine work done because of it. Neither instance did GM help out any because of the age of the trucks one was 9 years old the other 10.

Most Member Reactions

Back