First Service

Dubai82

Reaction score
So this is my first service for the truck. The truck hasnt reached the actual milage for service, however, it passed its first 6 months. So its due.

Question, is it ok to drive it for another 10 days? Workshop is fully occupied, and the nearest slot is in 10 days.

No complains so far, but when I step off the accelerator, sometimes I hear some weird noise, the same noise happens when truck is on Auto Start "traffic light / or traffic jam", when its about restart, the same noise pops up, and fades away.

You will be fine on the oil, the additive package in the oil is robust and would be good for a year or more, even though 6 months is recommended by many, the manual calls out 1 year. I think the bigger concern might be this sound, if you can try to take a short video and see if you can catch it so we can hear it and post it up.

Should be fine to wait for normal maintenance. What's the noise sound like?
not quite sure how to describe it to be honest. It only hear it when the car restarts "Auto Start", or when there is a hump, I slow down, and it pops up for few seconds. Sounds like a timing belt, or any other belt??

You will be fine on the oil, the additive package in the oil is robust and would be good for a year or more, even though 6 months is recommended by many, the manual calls out 1 year. I think the bigger concern might be this sound, if you can try to take a short video and see if you can catch it so we can hear it and post it up.
Thanks chief. Now, I'm at ease.

Will try to do that and see if the sound can be heard in a video and post it.

Reactions: AXE
I change oil early and often. Not saying you have to, but I think it's good if you plan to keep the truck a while.

I personally wouldn't run more than 5k miles on a change. Especially in hot weather.

I've changed oil 3 times at 8K miles. 1500, 4000, 8000 miles.

I agree, early and often can't hurt and can only help, I did my first on the new one at 1456, not sure how far I will go for the second, my rule is generally first between 1000-1500 to remove break in lube and metals, then every 5K-ish or 6 months.

On your first visit make sure they lube the front-end points. Mine were not all greased! They are now.

here is a short video. On auto start mode, you can hear "squeaking noise"? like little birdies talking to each other??

View attachment 9417here is a short video. On auto start mode, you can hear "squeaking noise"? like little birdies talking to each other??
I really can't hear the sqeaking noise in that video, and if I can, it sounds very low and minor in nature. My step dad was an auto mechanic, he had been working on car since model T's, and finished his career out with Toyota before he retired and has long since passed. He was the kind of guy that could diagnose most engine issues using a long screwdriver against the engine with the handle pressed up against his ear using it as a stethoscope, this seems like the kind of thing I would bring to him and he would tell me that the problem was my radio wasn't turned up loud enough, then he would say, just drive it and enjoy it, when something is really wrong you won't have to guess because it will be apparent. Maybe a better video with a more clear sound could yield something, but also maybe try some different things to narrow down when it does it, and when it doesn't, like if Auto Stop/Start is not enabled does it still do it? Does it only do it at start up during Auto Stop/Start? You may be chasing ghosts here, a mechanical machine such as our behemoth trucks are certainly going to make some amount of noise as they move and lurch about. Perhaps this sqeaking is nothing more than minor suspension noise as the vehicle begins to move, maybe spray it down with a hose on the suspension and try it wet to see if it goes away or changes. Maybe someone here with better speakers will be able to hear more and chime in with their thoughts.

I found my very best bluetooth speaker (Bose Soundlink Mini) and played your video as loud as it would go, I hear the chirping, and to be honest, it sounds like belt noise. DO NOT USE any kind of lube or belt dressing on the belt, but maybe spray it down good with water and then immediately test it to see if it still does it, but I think that is just belt sqeak. If this is a used truck, or one that has some age and hot cold cycles on the serpantine belt(s), maybe it is justs that.

I really can't hear the sqeaking noise in that video, and if I can, it sounds very low and minor in nature. My step dad was an auto mechanic, he had been working on car since model T's, and finished his career out with Toyota before he retired and has long since passed. He was the kind of guy that could diagnose most engine issues using a long screwdriver against the engine with the handle pressed up against his ear using it as a stethoscope, this seems like the kind of thing I would bring to him and he would tell me that the problem was my radio wasn't turned up loud enough, then he would say, just drive it and enjoy it, when something is really wrong you won't have to guess because it will be apparent. Maybe a better video with a more clear sound could yield something, but also maybe try some different things to narrow down when it does it, and when it doesn't, like if Auto Stop/Start is not enabled does it still do it? Does it only do it at start up during Auto Stop/Start? You may be chasing ghosts here, a mechanical machine such as our behemoth trucks are certainly going to make some amount of noise as they move and lurch about. Perhaps this sqeaking is nothing more than minor suspension noise as the vehicle begins to move, maybe spray it down with a hose on the suspension and try it wet to see if it goes away or changes. Maybe someone here with better speakers will be able to hear more and chime in with their thoughts.
wow! Respect to you & your step dad chief! You've analyzed it very well. I've been testing it for the last 10 days. 1) It happens ALWAYs on "Auto Start". 2) It also happens when I slow down "almost stopping the car", RPM less than 1. To answer your question, if the AUTO start is switched off, then it doesnt happen when the car is at complete stop, because the car isnt restarting. However, it still happens when I'm slowing down.

Apologies for the video quality. I might ask someone to drive the car, and I take the video?

The car is barely used, 4000 miles. Its going to its first service. I will bring this into their attention. Yes, I'm a very difficult person when it comes to "attention to details". I wont rest until its sorted! haha

Again, thank you so much brother. You've gone extra mile for me! I will update you once its out of service next week.

I change oil early and often. Not saying you have to, but I think it's good if you plan to keep the truck a while.

I personally wouldn't run more than 5k miles on a change. Especially in hot weather.

Did my first change at 1000 miles and have been using Lucas full synthetic oil treatment and mobile one full synthetic oil religiously every 2500 mi. I am a huge fanboy of frequent oil changes. They will definitely make your engine last much longer and run much better! 👍

Do you put any additives in the oil or use seafoam in the crankcase before you change the oil?

Do you use any additives in the oil or seafoam before
I've used seafoam but in older vehicles and had good results. Never in a new vehicle though.

The oil additive I use is Lucas fully synthetic oil stabilizer treatment. I use it every oil change. It's about 20 bucks a bottle and I usually put two quarts of Lucas and then the rest Mobile One synthetic oil. Lucas calls for an 80% oil-20% treatment mixture.

I have watched videos of a fella on YouTube that does testing on these types of products and he starts out with brand new engines. Runs them with a oil treatment during the break-in And then changes the oil with an additional oil treatment and runs the engines for another set of hours and then shuts them down and lets them cool and then completely drains them and lets them run until they cease. Lucas beat any other oil treatment by over a half hour after the other engines with different oil treatments had already seized. I believe it took the engine with Lucas almost an hour or so to seize.

When he dismantled the engines afterwards, the engine treated with Lucas had significantly less wear than the others. Not that I would ever ever do that to a truck engine, but it's just a good thing to have that extra layer of protection against normal wear.

I also use VP racing fuel additive. The one specifically for unleaded that won't harm the cats and have had excellent results in both mileage and power. I got over 400 mi on a tank using the VP product.

I bought my truck outright and have for thousands of dollars worth of modifications on it along with a A.U.L. 84 month 125,000 mile extended bumper to bumper exclusionary plus warranty that starts after the manufacturers 3-year 36,000 mi. and intend on keeping it for as long as I can, so everything that I can possibly do to make it last longer and run better is worth every penny in my opinion.

My next major modification will be the exhaust. I'm trying to decide between the borla or the Corsa that @security guy got.

I am perfectly happy with the factory lift and the stock wheels. The only thing that would be nicer is some bead lock rims. Maybe that will come later this year. That and 4 pod spotlights. Two for the hood and one on each side of the Overland rack and eventually some rock crawler lights in the wheel wells.

I absolutely love this truck and will do everything I can to make it last.

I've used seafoam but in older vehicles and had good results. Never in a new vehicle though.

The oil additive I use is Lucas fully synthetic oil stabilizer treatment. I use it every oil change. It's about 20 bucks a bottle and I usually put two quarts of Lucas and then the rest Mobile One synthetic oil. Lucas calls for an 80% oil-20% treatment mixture.

I have watched videos of a fella on YouTube that does testing on these types of products and he starts out with brand new engines. Runs them with a oil treatment during the break-in And then changes the oil with an additional oil treatment and runs the engines for another set of hours and then shuts them down and lets them cool and then completely drains them and lets them run until they cease. Lucas beat any other oil treatment by over a half hour after the other engines with different oil treatments had already seized. I believe it took the engine with Lucas almost an hour or so to seize.

When he dismantled the engines afterwards, the engine treated with Lucas had significantly less wear than the others. Not that I would ever ever do that to a truck engine, but it's just a good thing to have that extra layer of protection against normal wear.

I also use VP racing fuel additive. The one specifically for unleaded that won't harm the cats and have had excellent results in both mileage and power. I got over 400 mi on a tank using the VP product.

I bought my truck outright and have for thousands of dollars worth of modifications on it along with a A.U.L. 84 month 125,000 mile extended bumper to bumper exclusionary plus warranty that starts after the manufacturers 3-year 36,000 mi. and intend on keeping it for as long as I can, so everything that I can possibly do to make it last longer and run better is worth every penny in my opinion.

My next major modification will be the exhaust. I'm trying to decide between the borla or the Corsa that @security guy got.

I am perfectly happy with the factory lift and the stock wheels. The only thing that would be nicer is some bead lock rims. Maybe that will come later this year. That and 4 pod spotlights. Two for the hood and one on each side of the Overland rack and eventually some rock crawler lights in the wheel wells.

I absolutely love this truck and will do everything I can to make it last.
Thanks for the information.

I ordered the same CORSA exhaust about 2 weeks ago and still waiting for it to ship. I have a Bison ZR2 and it looks like they will need to drop the front skid plate to install it. Shouldn’t be a big deal. Going to have AMP power steps installed at the same time. They were delivered a few days after ordering haha.

Thanks for the information.

I ordered the same CORSA exhaust about 2 weeks ago and still waiting for it to ship. I have a Bison ZR2 and it looks like they will need to drop the front skid plate to install it. Shouldn’t be a big deal. Going to have AMP power steps installed at the same time. They were delivered a few days after ordering haha.
Nice! Hopefully within the next couple of years they'll come out with a front end so I can put a winch on it. I've got a 22. The bison is nice with the extra stuff AEV put on. I like the thicker skid plate and the added plate over the fuel tank, although when I talk to the tech he said even without a skid on the fuel tank that those fuel tanks are extremely durable and very thick and can take quite a beating. I got to inspect mine at the dealership when it was on the lift and even with the thinner skid plate It has fared quite well with where I've taken it and what I've done. It has a couple of deep scratches on the passenger side and a small dent in the middle of the plate but nothing that can't be pounded back straight with a little work. Having that AEV bumper on your bison is nice because it's set for a winch already

This is great stuff!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108_081943_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_081943_Chrome.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240108_081822_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_081822_Chrome.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 14
Nice! Hopefully within the next couple of years they'll come out with a front end so I can put a winch on it. I've got a 22. The bison is nice with the extra stuff AEV put on. I like the thicker skid plate and the added plate over the fuel tank, although when I talk to the tech he said even without a skid on the fuel tank that those fuel tanks are extremely durable and very thick and can take quite a beating. I got to inspect mine at the dealership when it was on the lift and even with the thinner skid plate It has fared quite well with where I've taken it and what I've done. It has a couple of deep scratches on the passenger side and a small dent in the middle of the plate but nothing that can't be pounded back straight with a little work. Having that AEV bumper on your bison is nice because it's set for a winch already
On my last truck, 2011 Z71 LTZ, I put an Iron Bull bumper. They come winch ready and are very heavy duty. I was very pleased with it.

Most Member Reactions

Back