Garage Door Opener Problem

You cannot reset just one. Hold down the #1 and #3 buttons for about 30 seconds and it will clear everything out of the Homelink.

You can reprogram over top of a button, but you cannot "clear" it completely.
Ah okay. Yeah I just want to program over one, but it doesn't seem to work. Do I just hold it down?

The button I want to reprogram. Or how do I reprogram it?
Have your garage remote in hand. Hold down the Homelink button you want to reprogram while holding down the button on the remote. The light will start flashing green, I believe, once the new code was programmed. No different than you did before when programming the other buttons. You then need to learn that button into your garage door opener for it to work. Feel free to PM me and I'll share my cell for a conversation.

I've had all sorts of issues programming mine. At one point I managed to get both garage doors programmed to the same button. Id press it one would close as the other opened, I programmed the large one and quit for the night. I did find the other remote so I may try again.

I was able to get two garage doors programmed, but can't seem to get a gate to work. For the garage door, I had to park directly under the receiver and actually put that in pairing mode as well.

I see some people are clicking like on this thread. So I thought I would update it.

Like I said, I knew it was the Homelink system and not my opener or transmitter.
Dealer diagnosed it as s faulty Homelink transmitter. They had to order parts, so I'll have to go back for another appointment when parts arrive.

Since the time I also bought another 2500 HD and the Homelink programed normally in about 20 seconds just like Tahoe.

Last edited:
I was able to get two garage doors programmed, but can't seem to get a gate to work. For the garage door, I had to park directly under the receiver and actually put that in pairing mode as well.
One think about gates, is they may use different technologies. I know my gate into my neighborhood will not accept Homelink transmissions.

I got the transmitter replaced on my Homelink system. Took a while to get the parts. It finally worked when I programed it, but it was still hard to program compared to my wife's Tahoe and my HD.

Can't say it will help you, but I struggled a lot as well. I ended up having to reset and re-pair all of my clickers. I also seemingly needed to park very close to the receiver.

Reactions: AXE
Can't say it will help you, but I struggled a lot as well. I ended up having to reset and re-pair all of my clickers. I also seemingly needed to park very close to the receiver.
Yeah the only way I could get it to work was using the door opener learn button. I had to reprogram my clickers three times and the vehicles after accidentally resetting the door opener.....PIA. not sure why one vehicle is easy and the other is hard. It's 20+ year old technology. Can't be that damn hard.

Yeah the only way I could get it to work was using the door opener learn button. I had to reprogram my clickers three times and the vehicles after accidentally resetting the door opener.....PIA. not sure why one vehicle is easy and the other is hard. It's 20+ year old technology. Can't be that damn hard.
Not sure I am following you. On just about all remotes that learn into HomeLink, you must use the door openers learn button to get the HL to connect to the garage door. I've been doing this for over 20 years and have never had an issue learning in a remote. Now, some door opener manufacturers are "funky". But Liftmasters, Chamberlin, Genie, etc. have always been quick and painless from my experience.

Manual says it can be done with just the clicker. Then it says if that doesn't work, use the learn button. Then it says if that doesn't work, use the programming gate procedure. Then if that doesn't work, you have to get your Homelink transmitter replaced.

There are videos of people programming theirs with clickers. None of mine worked that way. Tahoe took about 2 seconds, HD took a couple tries, 1500 took about 11 months.

Manual says it can be done with just the clicker. Then it says if that doesn't work, use the learn button. Then it says if that doesn't work, use the programming gate procedure. Then if that doesn't work, you have to get your Homelink transmitter replaced.

There are videos of people programming theirs with clickers. None of mine worked that way. Tahoe took about 2 seconds, HD took a couple tries, 1500 took about 11 months.
If you have a rolling code remote, it can never be done with just the clicker. You must use the openers learn button every time.

This sucks. My 1500 got connected immediately. I had replaced by garage door opener about 12 years back.

But range is not that good. Truck has to be close to garage compared to my car.

Looking for info on how I can reset a single Homelink button. I have two of the three programmed but the third keeps failing and it seems the only way to reset one is to reset all of them. There's got to be another way.
There is a procedure in the manual that outlines how to reset one button that won't disrupt the other two. Can't recall just how, but it is discussed after the programming description.

Most Member Reactions

Back