Hi there - Hard Shifting?

sillyphillie

Reaction score
Hello all. New to the forum as I just purchased a 24 ZR2 about 2 weeks ago. This forum alone has made me spend lots of money on upgrades (Ultimate 9, Bulletpoint Mount, Black Out Badging, Paint Matching My Flowtie, Reverse and LP Lights, ETC). I will post pics when I am finished.

Anyway... This is my 3rd Silverado and I don't remember my 20 or 21 shifting this hard. The shift points seem off and clunky. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks and nice to meet you all!

How many miles does it have on it? The transmission takes a little while to learn and develop patterns. It may get better with time.

And welcome to the forum!

If you are using the U9, I feel it contributes to hard shifts. Should be fine in factory though.
I definitely see different shifts points with each U9 selection. However, this was doing this before the U9. I will go out this morning and check the Tow/Haul with L9 and report back.

I thought I saw some complaints about shifting here but never found a cause or further concern.

Ok. I tried L9 without tow/haul and it shifted much better. That was more like what I was expecting.

Now... where do I go from here? Is this the expectation or do I go to the dealer and have them look into this which I know will be a time sucking adventure. Also, any long term objections to running in L9?

Ok. I tried L9 without tow/haul and it shifted much better. That was more like what I was expecting.

Now... where do I go from here? Is this the expectation or do I go to the dealer and have them look into this which I know will be a time sucking adventure. Also, any long term objections to running in L9?
glad you tried L9 tow haul mode. shiftmodes are def different. i say its up to you. shifting should not be clunky in drive mode. maybe have them check out at 1st service. no known L9 long term issues.

The other reason for a trip to the dealer is documentation. If the transmission layer goes out, you'll have more reason to get it replaced without getting accused of abuse and aftermarket parts causing the issue. It might take three visits, but it might save you $5000 down the road.

The other reason for a trip to the dealer is documentation. If the transmission layer goes out, you'll have more reason to get it replaced without getting accused of abuse and aftermarket parts causing the issue. It might take three visits, but it might save you $5000 down the road.
The good news is I am friends with the owner of the dealership so I might have his help in anything being chased. But I have still not met a service department NOT lazy and accusatory. Thank you all!

The good news is I am friends with the owner of the dealership so I might have his help in anything being chased. But I have still not met a service department NOT lazy and accusatory. Thank you all!
I've had really good luck with my service dealer over last 25 years. To be honest, GM has also always did me right. They warrantied a water pump on a Duramax just past 5 year warranty. Never had a fix rejected. I've modified every GM truck I've had, some were lifted and tuned.

Understand this anecdotal and subjective, but I've owned 3 Silverado 1500 ZR2's at this point and can confirm that the sweet spot is 4,500 miles for the transmission to complete learning. Imprecise downshifts and low speed gear fumbling is pretty common for the first 3-4.5k. This was the case for all of my trucks. Just rolled over 4.5k last week and have had much more predictable shifting. These were all with the 6.2, not the duramax, not sure it makes a difference.

Have you gotten your free first oil change yet? At 3k it’s time to change that initial oil and that would be good time to bring up hard shifting if you want to get it documented. I would put money on them saying it’s fine but it’s always good to have a paper trail if it ever has a problem later on.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back