LED License Plate Bulbs

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

securityguy

Reaction score
Why does GM not include LED bulbs in the license plate lamps??? Kinda crazy on a $76K truck. I pulled the incandescent 194's out today and installed bright white LEDs I had left over from another vehicle project. Looks SO much better!

I changed both my tag and reverse lights with in the first couple of days lol. It's a little annoying that the weren't led to begin with. But I'm actually kind of glad about the reverse lights. If they would have been led, they probably would have been sealed units with no options to upgrade. Atleast with the way they did it you can get bright bulbs. I've read on the GMCs they are sealed so you're stuck with the factory brightness.
This is the reverse lights I used. Had them around 6 months and I'm happy with them.

Alla Lighting 912 921 LED Bulbs for Back-up Reverse Lights, 6000K Xenon White CAN-BUS 4014 30-SMD T10 T15 906 W16W 921K 922, 360° Light Backup, Cargo Lights Replacement, Extremely Super Bright https://a.co/d/aLzbxXN

Last edited:
I am going to see what 921's I have in stock. If not, I'll order the ones you posted above.

I changed both my tag and reverse lights with in the first couple of days lol. It's a little annoying that the weren't led to begin with. But I'm actually kind of glad about the reverse lights. If they would have been led, they probably would have been sealed units with no options to upgrade. Atleast with the way they did it you can get bright bulbs. I've read on the GMCs they are sealed so you're stuck with the factory brightness.
This is the reverse lights I used. Had them around 6 months and I'm happy with them.

Alla Lighting 912 921 LED Bulbs for Back-up Reverse Lights, 6000K Xenon White CAN-BUS 4014 30-SMD T10 T15 906 W16W 921K 922, 360° Light Backup, Cargo Lights Replacement, Extremely Super Bright https://a.co/d/aLzbxXN
I bought these based on 8ball's suggestion and I am well pleased. They are super bright and have had no issues. I get compliments on just how bright they are.

I went Lasfit LEDs for license plate. Had the lasfit backup light too, but one bulb kept coming out of the plug and falling into the housing. Lasfit sent another set, but I put those in the wife’s 4Runner and put diesel LEDs in. I like them a little better, but either are a huge improvement over stock

I went Lasfit LEDs for license plate. Had the lasfit backup light too, but one bulb kept coming out of the plug and falling into the housing. Lasfit sent another set, but I put those in the wife’s 4Runner and put diesel LEDs in. I like them a little better, but either are a huge improvement over stock
I have used Lasfit on other vehicles...very good products and normally very reliable.

Is there a difference between a 194 bulb and a 912 bulb? I ordered the Alla Lighting 912. It looks like others use a 914 bulb. Are they the same? I just want to be sure my license plate is not going to catch on fire. I'm kinda funny about things catching fire in my new truck...LOL..

Is there a difference between a 194 bulb and a 912 bulb? I ordered the Alla Lighting 912. It looks like others use a 914 bulb. Are they the same? I just want to be sure my license plate is not going to catch on fire. I'm kinda funny about things catching fire in my new truck...LOL..
Totally different bulb types. The 194 fits the license plate. The 912 fit the reverse lights. Very different sized bulbs. A 912 will not fit in the license plate socket....too big.

Why does GM not include LED bulbs in the license plate lamps??? Kinda crazy on a $76K truck. I pulled the incandescent 194's out today and installed bright white LEDs I had left over from another vehicle project. Looks SO much better!
I don't have the biggest hands, but am having a hard time trying to eek my way in on the license plate lamps. Any tips? I'm laying flat under the truck on the bottom of my driveway so the lamps are nice and close

I don't have the biggest hands, but am having a hard time trying to eek my way in on the license plate lamps. Any tips? I'm laying flat under the truck on the bottom of my driveway so the lamps are nice and close
They are a bit of a challenge my friend. Took me far longer than I ever anticipated.

I literally can't fit my hands in there to change them. Guess I will have the dealer install them on the next oil change. Backup bulbs were no big deal.

I was not able to fit my hands in there so I removed one bolt on the bracket that is connected to the bumper and the bracket moved enough for me to get my hand in there. I can take a pic when I get home

Most Member Reactions

Back