LED License Plate Bulbs

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why do you want your license plate to look like a freeway billboard? Those lights hit your plug and spare tire release cover and reflect right back. Looks very cheap.

They should do like they do on the Tahoes. Single white led light (not too bright) shining down from above the plate. Those goofball side lights have always been shitty!

I'd like to black mine out, but the gestapo would be pulling me over for it.
1. Because it doesn't
2. I hate yellowish looking light bulbs
3. You don't have to use a super bright LED for the plate bulbs...not all LED bulbs are "bright"
4. There are tons of bulbs out there that will appear white without reflecting light like you stated above and look cheap

This truck should have ZERO incandescent bulbs...this is 2023 and it's a $75K vehicle. Even $30K cars now come mostly with all LED lighting. They are cheap and last far longer than an incandescent. Just my 2 cents.

The whole taillight assembly is incandescent. My wife's Tahoe was +10k and still has incandescent taillights. I'll be god dammed if it doesn't even have fog lights. I asked them Where's the fog lights and said they don't use them anymore. GMC had them......wtf!

Need to buy a GMC if you want professional grade gear, Chevy has always been for the poors!

Last edited:
Why do you want your license plate to look like a freeway billboard? Those lights hit your plug and spare tire release cover and reflect right back. Looks very cheap.

They should do like they do on the Tahoes. Single white led light (not too bright) shining down from above the plate. Those goofball side lights have always been shitty!

I'd like to black mine out, but the gestapo would be pulling me over for it.
Hahahaha. Gestapo

Reactions: AXE
I was not able to fit my hands in there so I removed one bolt on the bracket that is connected to the bumper and the bracket moved enough for me to get my hand in there. I can take a pic when I get home
I had a much less difficult time changing these bulbs on my 2500. After a few minutes of irritation and scrapes, I can confirm that removing the bracket bolt(s) is the way to go—less than 10 minutes for both. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have used LASFIT bulbs for my previous trucks and used the LASFIT bulbs for the license plate light for the ZR2 (LASFIT 194/T-10). I had some leftover T-15s from a previous job, and while they are the same size slot, they are TOO big to fit in the holder.

For the reverse lights this go-round, I used the JDM ASTAR JExtremely Bright 2000 Lumens 360-Degree Shine 921 912 90-EX Chipsets LED Bulbs For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White version from Amazon. So far, so good.

Thanks again for the tips and lighting suggestions!

Finally replaced mine with Lasfit. Unscrewing the bumper bracket does help if you have fat hands and arms!

I used Diode Dynamics for my bulbs. First set was too bright so I dropped down to a little less output.

These are the bulbs I got. They actually didn't make solid pin contact out of the box so I had to bend them out in order for them to work. Wouldn't recommend these for that reason, but they do work perfectly after adjustment.

Why does GM not include LED bulbs in the license plate lamps??? Kinda crazy on a $76K truck. I pulled the incandescent 194's out today and installed bright white LEDs I had left over from another vehicle project. Looks SO much better!
There is a book by Bob Lutz titled Bean Counters vs car guys. Sums it up perfectly.

There is a book by Bob Lutz titled Bean Counters vs car guys. Sums it up perfectly.
Yep. I've said that's why they don't worry about recalls and warranty work. The bean counters ran the numbers and it more profitable to get them to market than worry about if they work well.

Alla Lighting 912 921 LED Bulbs for Back-up Reverse Lights, 6000K Xenon White CAN-BUS 4014 30-SMD T10 T15 906 W16W 921K 922, 360° Light Backup, Cargo Lights Replacement, Extremely Super Bright https://a.co/d/aLzbxXN
I used these lights to change my license plate lights. I've noticed they start flickering. I'll try and reseat them and double check. But anybody else have issues of flickering?

Thanks

I used these lights to change my license plate lights. I've noticed they start flickering. I'll try and reseat them and double check. But anybody else have issues of flickering?

Thanks
Yes. Been doing it since I installed them. Any fix for this?

Not sure if there's a fix, but flickering and faster flashing can be a common problem when switching from regular Incandescent bulbs to LEDs. I know in some applications like blinkers people have installed resistors to regulate the flown of juice to the bulb. Not sure it would be worth the effort for this application.

Not sure if there's a fix, but flickering and faster flashing can be a common problem when switching from regular Incandescent bulbs to LEDs. I know in some applications like blinkers people have installed resistors to regulate the flown of juice to the bulb. Not sure it would be worth the effort for this application.
Just replace the bulbs with ones that don't flicker ;)

Yes. Been doing it since I installed them. Any fix for this?
Probably the issue I had with the pins making loose contact. I just carefully bent them out to gain better contact and it solved the issue. Actually looking at the specific bulbs you linked to, it looks like a flat contact. You could probably raise the contact slightly with some solder to get better contact.

Probably the issue I had with the pins making loose contact. I just carefully bent them out to gain better contact and it solved the issue. Actually looking at the specific bulbs you linked to, it looks like a flat contact. You could probably raise the contact slightly with some solder to get better contact.
If you use good bulbs, like in post #16, there are no cheap metal pins to deal with. They are circuit board based lamps.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back