New zr2 owner looking for upgrades

That SC sounds awesome. I've always used premium gas anyway. Costco is the best price around here for fuel. Premium is about what mid grade costs elsewhere.
If I kept trucks longer than 10K miles or 1-1.5 years, I may consider a SC. But, for me, it would be a huge waste since I’d never get it back out on a sale.

I was already putting mid grade in it. I do not have a Costco. We have a Sam's but I never think to go there. I refused to use their diesel fuel in my other trucks. Seen too much water in Murphys/walmart/Sam's diesel fuels.

I do not hang on to my newer trucks long either. My older ones are mine but the new ones are always for sale for the right price. Sometimes I sell in the black sometimes in the red but it all works out.

These trucks are just giant toys to me. I love playing around with them...modding them to my liking...and then moving on to the next shiny toy. I, typically, do not lose much, if any, when I sell based on very low mileage and showroom condition. Based on what I bought this truck for, I will make at least $5K over what I paid for it if not more so I knew from the date of purchase, this truck was a short-timer based on what I see coming out in 2024 or 2025. Electric is certainly not in my future until solid state batteries become available and have been proven out.

These trucks are just giant toys to me. I love playing around with them...modding them to my liking...and then moving on to the next shiny toy. I, typically, do not lose much, if any, when I sell based on very low mileage and showroom condition. Based on what I bought this truck for, I will make at least $5K over what I paid for it if not more so I knew from the date of purchase, this truck was a short-timer based on what I see coming out in 2024 or 2025. Electric is certainly not in my future until solid state batteries become available and have been proven out.
Agreed. I dont have any other hobbies really. These trucks are basically my hobby. These are my other two. The 4 door is my hot rod. Should be 900hp with twin turbos, high pressure pumps and big injectors. In process of building the motor for it. The ext cab is my workhorse. Even with 450k on the clock she's happy to do whatever is asked of her. It is a 6 speed manual.

Attachments

• 20220330_180623.jpg
    20220330_180623.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 43
  • 20211107_105023.jpg
    20211107_105023.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 46
Agreed. I dont have any other hobbies really. These trucks are basically my hobby. These are my other two. The 4 door is my hot rod. Should be 900hp with twin turbos, high pressure pumps and big injectors. In process of building the motor for it. The ext cab is my workhorse. Even with 450k on the clock she's happy to do whatever is asked of her. It is a 6 speed manual.
I like the sound of that 4 door. I can tell you from an old guy who used to have more hobbies than dollars, that the older we get the more it comes down to a couple of thing we can enjoy. Typically we can drive, hopefully, so four wheeling and hot rodding are good hobbies to have. I doubt that I will ever get tired of powerful V8 powered trucks. I feel like this whole EV car crap is being forced on us. That is mainly why I have zero interest in owning one. I know they are powerful, but remind me of a golf cart. No sound & no soul. That's just my opinion on it.

Question for the experts on here. I'm looking at doing the Chevy cat-back duel Exit Exhaust upgrade but I was thinking about adding a Cold Air intake system. My goal is to obtain at little extra HP/torque while helping the engine to breath better in the Texas summer heat. While not voiding my warranty. Does anyone have a recommendation for a CAI system. I don't have the money to drop for a super charger like you guys are doing. Plus I just got off the phone with AEV and from the conversation it sounds like they could be releasing the front and rear bumpers to the general ZR2 in the fall. Now whether it comes from AEV or thru GM dealerships that hasn't been worked out and I would rather have a stamped steel bumpers on my truck, as the Austin drivers in their little Subaru's are really bad.

Question for the experts on here. I'm looking at doing the Chevy cat-back duel Exit Exhaust upgrade but I was thinking about adding a Cold Air intake system. My goal is to obtain at little extra HP/torque while helping the engine to breath better in the Texas summer heat. While not voiding my warranty. Does anyone have a recommendation for a CAI system. I don't have the money to drop for a super charger like you guys are doing. Plus I just got off the phone with AEV and from the conversation it sounds like they could be releasing the front and rear bumpers to the general ZR2 in the fall. Now whether it comes from AEV or thru GM dealerships that hasn't been worked out and I would rather have a stamped steel bumpers on my truck, as the Austin drivers in their little Subaru's are really bad.

The Search function is your friend. Personally, the truck already has a great airbox. Replacing it will not yield much performance as a cat-back won't either. Unless you do a tune (which is unavailable at this time), simple mods like a CAI and/or exhaust will yield very little results...nothing you will feel or notice anyway. If you are looking for sound, then both a cat-back and CAI will certainly yield you that :) I would save your money on a cat-back and just do a muffler replace like many of us have done. The Borla parts are $250-$300 and then another $75-$100 to have a good shop weld it in. They sound amazing and it will save you close to a grand or so unless you're hell bent on a full cat-back.

I see a lot of pretty expensive mods and paint coating on the thread so far here are some of the other types of cheaper mods you can do. K&N Intake, AWE Exhaust, Bowtie puddle lights, Shock skids, Center console safe, Red and Black Badging, Shorty antenna and LED Step lights for the multiflex tailgate.
Was thinking about the LED Step lights. Were they hard to install? How bright are they?

So having driven it for a week I am going to say the only downside to the supercharger is the fact that it requires premium gas, which I knew but just sucks its almost a dollar more than regular. But fuel mileage hasn't really gone down much, maybe a little around town but on a 150 mile trip running 85 it got about 16.5, which is about what it did before. It town with spirited driving its averaging around 12-13. Down from 13-14 without the charger. It will spin all 4 tires when in AWD. Dry road and just standing on it from a stop. Also get a little chirp out of all 4 if you stand in it from about 20mph. The part throttle acceleration is on point. The S/C paired with the 10 speed is probably the nicest driving truck I have owned. It is nice and tame if you want it to be but also if you want to pick on a sports car or put your buddies stomach in his throat just kick it into AWD, set the drive mode to "off road" and hold on
Hey brother,
How is the Z running?
I have that same supercharger that I bought for my 2020 Silverado but ended up waiting to install it when they announced the refresh. Now I'm looking to install it on my 23. Do you know if I would just have to pay for the Trifecta tune? Whipple tells me to talk to hptunners and hp sends me back to whipple.

Most Member Reactions

Back