Oil catch can Yes or No?

The following products are discussed in this thread. Thank you @The_Q

81As8OgdrWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Wildturkey707

Reaction score
Forgive me if this was covered some what in other threads I did a search and didn't see a specific discussion about it. I have done some research and there are a lot of differing opinions on it. If you are boosted yes if you tow yes off-road yes normal streets no, Or just flat out they do nothing. I will have very low miles on this truck but will be taking it off-road hopefully pretty often I have a nice off-road park close to me. I know this might start a mechanical dick measuring contest but wanted to get some additional opinions and maybe some product links if some of you guys already have one installed. If I was going to go with one this was where I landed so far...

Forgive me if this was covered some what in other threads I did a search and didn't see a specific discussion about it. I have done some research and there are a lot of differing opinions on it. If you are boosted yes if you tow yes off-road yes normal streets no, Or just flat out they do nothing. I will have very low miles on this truck but will be taking it off-road hopefully pretty often I have a nice off-road park close to me. I know this might start a mechanical dick measuring contest but wanted to get some additional opinions and maybe some product links if some of you guys already have one installed. If I was going to go with one this was where I landed so far...
They certainly do more than "nothing". Every can will trap oil and water from going back into the intake manifold. That, in itself, is a huge plus. I have put them on each of my trucks in the past and did it to this one too. You do NOT need to spend a fortune on a great quality OCC. I have this one (was recommended on this site and others) and it's very high quality, highly recommended, and works great. It's specifically designed for our truck!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What Security Guy said is exactly correct. Watch engineering explained on You tube. He explains it in detail. All DI engines will benefit from a CC .My friend put one on his port injected Hemi and he told me he is surprised how much oil the CC collects. Low tension piston rings seem to be the culprit. I use the same one from J& L, excellent quality.

Sounds good I will have to have one shipped to family in Idaho since I am a California guy and it's not carb legal here lol. California is a fucking disaster.
I agree! Especially if you like guns. I love Idaho. I have a couple friends i go see every year from the Vietnam days. If I ever move again, Idaho is it.

Oil catch cans are useful, but be careful because you have to tap into the stock air box to mount a line/fitting. And if you're truck goes in for warranty work for anything from the air box back, they may not cover it.

Oil catch cans are useful, but be careful because you have to tap into the stock air box to mount a line/fitting. And if you're truck goes in for warranty work for anything from the air box back, they may not cover it.
I already have a K&N Black Hawk intake so stock one is in a box in the garage. I am in close with my guys at my service center so they take care of me.

You most certainly do not. I have been using these for many years on several vehicles. Catch Cans do not require any attachment to the stock air box. No drilling...no fittings...no nothing as it relates to the stock air box, or an aftermarket CAI for that matter. They connect to the PCV and the intake...each with a separate hose.

ZR2 OCC.jpg

Just installed my Corsa Catch Can yesterday so we'll see what shows up in a couple of days as I just want to see if it catches anything in that time

Attachments

• IMG_7313.JPG
    IMG_7313.JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 164
Oil Catch Can is in! I ended up going with the UPR can w/ Magnetic drain plug and Billet check valve. Link below if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Oil Catch Can 1.jpg
    Oil Catch Can 1.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Oil Catch Can 2.jpg
    Oil Catch Can 2.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Oil Catch Can 3.jpg
    Oil Catch Can 3.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 189
  • Oil Catch Can 4.jpg
    Oil Catch Can 4.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 202
I went with the J&L like securityguy has and checked it after around 1,200 miles and it was about 2/3rds full. I was a little surprised it had caught that much. I had planned on dumping every 5K miles when I did the oil change, but it will need to be quicker than that.

I went with the J&L like securityguy has and checked it after around 1,200 miles and it was about 2/3rds full. I was a little surprised it had caught that much. I had planned on dumping every 5K miles when I did the oil change, but it will need to be quicker than that.
Depending on where you live, and the weather conditions, OCC's catch a lot more liquid in the cold months due to condensation. In the warmer/hot months, not so much. This could be why you are seeing so much liquid based on temps and time of year my friend.

Depending on where you live, and the weather conditions, OCC's catch a lot more liquid in the cold months due to condensation. In the warmer/hot months, not so much. This could be why you are seeing so much liquid based on temps and time of year my friend.
That was my assumption. I am in Kansas, so we have plenty of cold temps this time of year to create the condensation. Take care.

Most Member Reactions

Back