Paint chipping

Is there a TSB on this also? I drove down a gravel driveway and ended up with 3 nice chips along the lower door.
Yeah dude the paint on the "rock guard" is so soft. Mine is all chipped up. Looks terrible

Reactions: AXE
I have an update. Sorry to say that under the hood scoop the hoods paint is starting to chip again. The dealership repaired it after 6 months of asking them to the first time. They finally fixed it after GM sent them the info and replace the mounts with new ones. Now 2 months after the repair and resetting the hood scoop back on with new mountings, it's starting to chip again and in new areas. Sad part is after 3-4 weeks of asking the dealership what to do about, they are not responding.

I have an update. Sorry to say that under the hood scoop the hoods paint is starting to chip again. The dealership repaired it after 6 months of asking them to the first time. They finally fixed it after GM sent them the info and replace the mounts with new ones. Now 2 months after the repair and resetting the hood scoop back on with new mountings, it's starting to chip again and in new areas. Sad part is after 3-4 weeks of asking the dealership what to do about, they are not responding.
sucks..keep us updated. im debating and waiting for a better fix. mary barra stinks.

The water based paint is at the bottom of this issue.

Well, at just about a year since I bought her, I am just now starting to see a very small section of paint rubbing off near the passenger side front corner of the hood scoop. Debating whether to use touch-up paint or take her in. It sounds like, even after the "fix", it is happening again to folks. Are there any updates that anyone is aware of on this topic or an updated TSB? If I am going to have them repaint my hood, I would prefer to know if it's still a band-aid or a true fix. I'm not into band-aid repairs. I'm not too concerned as the rubbing is minor and only a very small area, but nonetheless it needs to get resolved one way or another.

Thinking about this a bit more, may be best to get the hood painted and, BEFORE reinstalling the scoop, have the hood PPF'd to act as a barrier between the two. A bit costly but you can also only have the scoop area done without doing the entire hood.

Well, at just about a year since I bought her, I am just now starting to see a very small section of paint rubbing off near the passenger side front corner of the hood scoop. Debating whether to use touch-up paint or take her in. It sounds like, even after the "fix", it is happening again to folks. Are there any updates that anyone is aware of on this topic or an updated TSB? If I am going to have them repaint my hood, I would prefer to know if it's still a band-aid or a true fix. I'm not into band-aid repairs. I'm not too concerned as the rubbing is minor and only a very small area, but nonetheless it needs to get resolved one way or another.

Thinking about this a bit more, may be best to get the hood painted and, BEFORE reinstalling the scoop, have the hood PPF'd to act as a barrier between the two. A bit costly but you can also only have the scoop area done without doing the entire hood.
i have been waiting on a better fix but seems like its not coming anytime soon. my selling dealer told me my entire hood needed to be painted. its a case by case decision. foam tape from Amazon is part of the fix. c'mon GM.

i have been waiting on a better fix but seems like its not coming anytime soon. my selling dealer told me my entire hood needed to be painted. its a case by case decision. foam tape from Amazon is part of the fix. c'mon GM.
I recall reading that and making a similar comment many months ago when the TSB was originally posted and thought WFT! I really don't want to have the hood repainted. However, if it continues to get worse, before I trade her in for a 2025 2500 ZR2, I may just get it done and have PPF put around the area where the scoop meets the hood since I have a buddy in the business and then snap the scoop back on.

I recall reading that and making a similar comment many months ago when the TSB was originally posted and thought WFT! I really don't want to have the hood repainted. However, if it continues to get worse, before I trade her in for a 2025 2500 ZR2, I may just get it done and have PPF put around the area where the scoop meets the hood since I have a buddy in the business and then snap the scoop back on.
i get what you are saying but scoop is pain in the ass. my defect is outside of scoop. no way to blend imo!! my dealer needs 8 days for repair.

Whole truck should be dipped in Line X.

Securityguy, may as well just put a very small piece off wrap under cowling now. If it only sticks out 3mm you wouldn't even notice it. I was considering doing that vs fix.

My dealer just told me it's same old fix, but they would only repair area around cowling and blend. Otherwise it's too hard to match paint. Said they've done 4 or 5 that way.

I previously had them do a repair on a Tahoe door in white diamond tri-coat. That's a 3 part paint so hard to do. It looked great, so I trust them. Who knows if you get the same painter.

Last edited:
Whole truck should be dipped in Line X.

Securityguy, may as well just put a very small piece off wrap under cowling now. If it only sticks out 3mm you wouldn't even notice it. I was considering doing that vs fix.

My dealer just told me it's same old fix, but they would only repair area sind cowling and blend. Otherwise it's too hard to match paint. Said they've done 4 or 5 that way.

I previously had them do a repair on a Tahoe door in white diamond tri-coat. That's a 3 part paint so hard to do. It looked great, so I trust them. Who knows if you get the same painter.
What's the best way to pop the cowl off the hood without damaging/denting the hood or the cowl? My biggest concern doing it myself is doing more harm than good. Open to doing it as I have a roll of Xpel PPF at the house. I just don't want to make more of mess. Anyone have good instructions to get the cowl off with low risk?

Last edited:
What's the best way to pop the cowl off the hood without damaging/denting the hood or the cowl? My biggest concern doing it myself is doing more harm than good. Open to doing it as I have a roll of Xpel PPF at the house. I just don't want to make more of mess. Anyone have good instructions to get the cowl off with low risk?
My understanding is the same as the TSB. Have to pull the inner hood liner and remove clips. Just like anything else you pull off, it won't likely fit as well afterwards.

I was wondering if it could be added without pulling cowl?

My understanding is the same as the TSB. Have to pull the inner hood liner and remove clips. Just like anything else you pull off, it won't likely fit as well afterwards.

I was wondering if it could be added without pulling cowl?
Thanks but I don't see how as I need to get under the cowl to do it right. Can someone link me to the TSB PDF I can download?

Most Member Reactions

Back