Portable tire inflator

I saw that Rigid--it won a review of cordless 18V options. Only that tool + battery + charger ends up being pretty expensive. And it's big feature of having a back up 12V plug is only useful with a ZR2 if you get an adapter. I worry about the space the inflator, battery, charger, 12V adapter, etc would take up for an item that is just for emergencies. I guess if you always keep the battery charged you don't need to keep the charger in the truck. It is on the list for consideration.

In terms of power draw there's a 120V version of that Husky inflator that draws no more than 150W so I think the 400W outlets in the ZR2 would be more than enough. The 120V of the husky has better specs than the 12V version (not surprisingly). The power cord is very short though so an extension cord would be required.

You all have given me too many options. :p
Why would you need to carry around the charger? These tools take up little to no space in your truck. The point is to keep the battery fully charged and, when fully charged, should be at about full capacity for 6+ months if it's a quality LiON battery pack.

If you just want a cheap emergency compressor that plugs in. Assuming you don't mind adding a 12v outlet. I'd just get this one from harbor freight. It's what I carry in my SXS. I've been through about a half a dozen of these kind of compressors. This one is as good or better then the more expensive ones. It's actually got some weight to it and is made pretty well. I've used mine a ton and it gets bounced around on the trail. It's cheap and no batteries to worry with. As long as you can reach all four of your tires with it plugged in It's fine.

If you just want a cheap emergency compressor that plugs in. Assuming you don't mind adding a 12v outlet. I'd just get this one from harbor freight. It's what I carry in my SXS. I've been through about a half a dozen of these kind of compressors. This one is as good or better then the more expensive ones. It's actually got some weight to it and is made pretty well. I've used mine a ton and it gets bounced around on the trail. It's cheap and no batteries to worry with. As long as you can reach all four of your tires with it plugged in It's fine.
I have one of those too :D

Ive had the dewalt one for about 5 years. They where 99 without battery then. Like pressure setting shutoff. I had batteries and use on cars motorcycle bikes lawn equipment and truck plus trailer. Nice for portability. I thought it was so good I even got some and gave them for Christmas presents. 🎁

Reactions: AXE
I was just going to say Personally I'd get the dewalt one if I was going this route lol. Because I have a lot of 20v dewalt stuff already. I also have Milwaukee stuff. But only the m12 size.

Not knocking Ryobi stuff. But my Brother N law has all Ryobi cordless stuff. Including their larger inflator. He has been switching all his stuff over to dewalt the past year or two. Mainly after using my stuff after his stuff would struggle haha. Ryobi is good for the money. I do think they are budget tools though. I've used a lot of their stuff side by side with dewalt and milwaukee. They just aren't as good in general.
I have the Milwaukee 12v volt tools cause they are smaller for tight work. Really love them. The small 12V compressor is great for adding a few PSI to large tires or filing small tires. I'm surprised how well it has held up.

Everything else is Dewalt 18V or 20V for heavy duty.

Offroad I use a couple Viair units and they are great.

VIAIR 88P - 00088 Tire Inflator Portable Onroad/Offroad Air Compressor for Car, Truck, SUV & RV | 12V On/Off Road Tire Pump Air Compressor Portable Heavy Duty 120 PSI, Alligator Clips, Twist Chuck https://a.co/d/annBI4e

I also have a PowerTank with CO2 which airs up a nearly deflated 35 inch tire in less than a minute. It's the most efficient tool I have.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I like the ONEVAN cordless inflator. It's compact enough fast and efficient inflation, compatibility with 18V lithium-ion batteries, and convenient portability for inflating tires and other inflatables. While it may not be as widely recognized as some other brands, it's a solid choice for those in the PORTER-CABLE ecosystem.
Porter Cable makes some nice tools. I run a grinder, drill, and sawzall occasionally at the farm and they work great. If I didn't have so much DeWalt and Milwaukee, I'd buy more PC.

Just did my on-board air last week.

I got a different truck since I posted in this thread, but I did a onboard air setup again on my HD same as I did on my 1500. Still what I prefer. 8 gallons worth of air at 175psi with dual viair 12v compressors.😅. I own a 20v dewalt pancake style compressor. Works well for what it is, but I wouldn't want it taking up bed space all the time.
20240114_031120.jpg
20240114_031747.jpg

I got a different truck since I posted in this thread, but I did a onboard air setup again on my HD same as I did on my 1500. Still what I prefer. 8 gallons worth of air at 175psi with dual viair 12v compressors.😅. I own a 20v dewalt pancake style compressor. Works well for what it is, but I wouldn't want it taking up bed space all the time.
View attachment 11782View attachment 11783
Looks good. 😊

Most Member Reactions

Back