Portable tire inflator

Colorado

Reaction score
I'm working on building a winter / emergency kit and I'm trying to decide on a portable tire inflator. Things I'm looking for:
-- fits under the rear seat in the storage area
-- 110V AC / 12V DC power (redundancy seems like a smart idea since the ZR2 has AC power)
-- can handle the stock ZR2 tires

There are tons of models out there and tons of reviews but I thought I'd ask here to hear about direct experiences with a ZR2 and a tire inflator. Thanks!

I have this and it works awesome and has a 3-year warranty.

Looks nice, but it is over 7X the cost of the Ryobi:oops:
The Ryobi is 25 dollar! Probably get what you pay for🤪. Anyway probably depends on what batteries you already have. I know with one 6 amp battery I can go from 17 psi to 40 psi on all 4 tire in 10 minutes. Dewalt’s tire inflator uses batteries or a cord. That is probably the best option but alas I have Milwaukee battery tools.

I was just going to say Personally I'd get the dewalt one if I was going this route lol. Because I have a lot of 20v dewalt stuff already. I also have Milwaukee stuff. But only the m12 size.

Not knocking Ryobi stuff. But my Brother N law has all Ryobi cordless stuff. Including their larger inflator. He has been switching all his stuff over to dewalt the past year or two. Mainly after using my stuff after his stuff would struggle haha. Ryobi is good for the money. I do think they are budget tools though. I've used a lot of their stuff side by side with dewalt and milwaukee. They just aren't as good in general.

I have this and it works awesome and has a 3-year warranty.

I have that one as well and it's ok but I actually prefer this one. I use this one more, especially for my vehicles. The small one is great for smaller items.

The Ryobi is 25 dollar! Probably get what you pay for🤪. Anyway probably depends on what batteries you already have. I know with one 6 amp battery I can go from 17 psi to 40 psi on all 4 tire in 10 minutes. Dewalt’s tire inflator uses batteries or a cord. That is probably the best option but alas I have Milwaukee battery tools.
Sometimes you get more than what you pay for. I have been using this for a while inflating bike tires to my various vehicle tires. It inflates fairly quickly and does the job just fine. The pressure gauge is also very accurate. I do have all Ryobi power tools and they have served me well over the years. Are they the "quality" of a DeWalt or Milwaukee? Probably not...but I am not a professional laborer and, for most folks, Ryobi is all you'll every need and HD stands behind them with a 3-year warranty - over the counter exchange.

Reactions: AXE
I was just going to say Personally I'd get the dewalt one if I was going this route lol. Because I have a lot of 20v dewalt stuff already. I also have Milwaukee stuff. But only the m12 size.

Not knocking Ryobi stuff. But my Brother N law has all Ryobi cordless stuff. Including their larger inflator. He has been switching all his stuff over to dewalt the past year or two. Mainly after using my stuff after his stuff would struggle haha. Ryobi is good for the money. I do think they are budget tools though. I've used a lot of their stuff side by side with dewalt and milwaukee. They just aren't as good in general.
Sometimes it all boils down to what manufacturers batteries you already have so you're not buying new batteries and a charger. I have been using Ryobi for over 20 years and have never had a tool failure. If I was in a trade where I used these tools every day, I would go with DeWalt or Milwaukee.

Sometimes it all boils down to what manufacturers batteries you already have so you're not buying new batteries and a charger. I have been using Ryobi for over 20 years and have never had a tool failure. If I was in a trade where I used these tools every day, I would go with DeWalt or Milwaukee.

Right, that was basically what I meant. They are good for the money and probably good enough for most people for occasional project. I have an electric Ryobi pressure washer for washing vehicles. It's much more practical then getting my large gas powered one out. Works great and it actually was better then other comparable electrics I tried.

But yeah, imo if you aren't invested already in tool batteries, I'd probably opt for Dewalt or Milwaukee.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know my setup doesn't check the boxes in what your looking for, but I opted for a more permanent option. If the $179 Milwaukee is to expensive don't click on the link :ROFLMAO:

I went with an ARB compressor setup. I've had one on the wife's Jeep Rubicon for 7 years now and it has yet to fail us. Works great for airing up after airing down on the beach or trail.

Last edited:
I know my setup doesn't check the boxes in what your looking for, but I opted for a more permanent option. If the $179 Milwaukee is to expensive don't click on the link :ROFLMAO:

I went with an ARB compressor setup. I've had one on the wife's Jeep Rubicon for 7 years now and it has yet to fail us. Works great for airing up after airing down on the beach or trail.
Curious...do you have pics of where and how you mounted it and how you wired it in? Expensive yes! But, if you do a TON of off-roading, I could see how this could be a good solution for some. Just not sure why I'd spend more than $179 on the Milwaukee :unsure:

Curious...do you have pics of where and how you mounted it and how you wired it in? Expensive yes! But, if you do a TON of off-roading, I could see how this could be a good solution for some. Just not sure why I'd spend more than $179 on the Milwaukee :unsure:

I mounted it to the remaining storage tray that I cut down after the Kicker install. The main hot wire runs to the battery via the firewall. Switched power is taken from fuse 26 in the passenger side fuse box.

ARB Setup.jpeg

And then there is this ARB setup that is really awesome from one of the forum members. You can see his post here. 8ball_99 also has an awesome setup.

Compressor ARB underseat storage.jpeg

Lol, yeah I didn't even mention my setup for that reason 😅
20220919_154952.jpg

Yeah built-in systems are pretty cool but I was thinking for now about emergency systems not air down/reinflate for off-roading systems. Interesting that the first replies were all about cordless/battery-powered choices. Given how much some of the plug-in compressors can draw I'm a little surprised. I was looking at things like:

and

But I guess I will take a second look at battery powered options.

Yeah built-in systems are pretty cool but I was thinking for now about emergency systems not air down/reinflate for off-roading systems. Interesting that the first replies were all about cordless/battery-powered choices. Given how much some of the plug-in compressors can draw I'm a little surprised. I was looking at things like:

and

But I guess I will take a second look at battery powered options.
Personally I'd either do built in or a portable battery option. Most of those little plug in ones are just ok. You also always run into issues with reach. I've used a bunch of them on the trail with my sxs. They are just ok. Also on a ZR2 you don't have a 12v plug. So you would need to add atleast one. The 110ac plugs are only 400watt. I wouldn't trust it to run any real compressor that takes 110ac. But you could easily use it to recharge the battery on one of those portable types.

My air setup is not just for tires I run tools on it, train horn and my airbags. It's definitely overkill for just airing up tires. But I can actually set a bead with it also lol.

I keep a RIDGID 18V Cordless Digital Inflator in one of the rear seatback compartments on my truck. It fits perfectly in the compartment, and there's enough room for the battery and the 12V power cord in there, too.

RIDGID 18V Cordless Digital Inflator

I've had this inflator for a couple years and it works great. No complaints so far.

I saw that Rigid--it won a review of cordless 18V options. Only that tool + battery + charger ends up being pretty expensive. And it's big feature of having a back up 12V plug is only useful with a ZR2 if you get an adapter. I worry about the space the inflator, battery, charger, 12V adapter, etc would take up for an item that is just for emergencies. I guess if you always keep the battery charged you don't need to keep the charger in the truck. It is on the list for consideration.

In terms of power draw there's a 120V version of that Husky inflator that draws no more than 150W so I think the 400W outlets in the ZR2 would be more than enough. The 120V of the husky has better specs than the 12V version (not surprisingly). The power cord is very short though so an extension cord would be required.

You all have given me too many options. :p

Most Member Reactions

Back