Putco Freedom Blade

securityguy

Reaction score
Just ordered this along with the remote control. Looks kinda cool and I like what you can make it do. Mostly plug and play...no cutting or splicing. Once it arrives and I get it installed, I'll post pics. They show pics and a video of this installed on a ZR2.

There is a guy on YT (donslife) that did a thing on this 6 months ago, it is a bit long and dry but might be worth watching to get a better idea of what you need to know and plan for, I don't think Putco covers installation well in anything I have seen on this. I think it's good especially for someone not completely familiar with this kind of product and all that is needed to get a good install and functionality. It has been a couple months since I watched it, he may have glossed over a few things, but hopefully it can help with your install @securityguy and make it a little simpler somehow. I think it would be worth a watch before you put yours in.

Last edited:
There is a guy on YT (donslife) that did a thing on this 6 months ago, it is a bit long and dry but might be worth watching to get a better idea of what you need to know and plan for, I don't think Putco covers installation well in anything I have seen on this. I think it's good especially for someone not completely familiar with this kind of product and all that i's needed to get a good install and functionality. It has been a couple months since I watched it, he may have glossed over a few things, but hopefully it can help with your install @securityguy and make it a little simpler somehow. I think it would be worth a watch before you put yours in.

Thanks HighTech for thinking of me. As an EE, and a person that's been professionally installing car electronics for over 40 years, I think I'll be fine :) It actually is very easy and I read the install instructions and watched a few videos out of curiosity. I look forward to getting this installed after the holidays.

Last edited:
Yeah @securityguy, I wasn't sure, the name could have swung one of two ways, person with a firearm who protects, or home/auto security and the like, I wasn't sure. And as I always like to say, you can always learn something from everybody, even if it's how not to do it, so even when I THINK I know it all, I like to see what others think and do, often out of the mouths of babes, sometimes will come a gem, though sometimes they just be talkin shyt ;)

As a member of the AOC (Association of Old Crows) I worked deceptive ECM in the Corps (EA6B Prowler/VMAQ-2) and was F level certified in miniature/microminiature component repair before I went on to a career in telecomm. When I retired I was doing a good bit of fiber characterization nationally/internationally for optical transport trunks, 5G test cell turnup/verification, and 400G CWDM and 100G DWDM stuff, all for what was coming down the pike in the near future to a provider near you.

I figured, useful, or not, it was worth posting, if not for you, then perhaps someone else in the future.

Semper Fi 🦅🌎⚓

Last edited:
Reactions: AXE
Just ordered this along with the remote control. Looks kinda cool and I like what you can make it do. Mostly plug and play...no cutting or splicing. Once it arrives and I get it installed, I'll post pics. They show pics and a video of this installed on a ZR2.

looks good but expensive.

Yeah @securityguy, I wasn't sure, the name could have swung one of two ways, person with a firearm who protects, or home/auto security and the like, I wasn't sure. And as I always like to say, you can always learn something from everybody, even if it's how not to do it, so even when I THINK I know it all, I like to see what others think and do, often out of the mouths of babes, sometimes will come a gem, though sometimes they just be talkin shyt ;)

As a member of the AOC (Association of Old Crows) I worked deceptive ECM in the Corps (EA6B Prowler/VMAQ-2) and was F level certified in miniature/microminiature component repair before I went on to a career in telecomm. When I retired I was doing a good bit of fiber characterization nationally/internationally for optical transport trunks, 5G test cell turnup/verification, and 400G CWDM and 100G DWDM stuff, all for what was coming down the pike in the near future to a provider near you.

I figured, useful, or not, it was worth posting, if not for you, then perhaps someone else in the future.

Semper Fi 🦅🌎⚓
100% my friend! I typically find more "not how to do it" than the right way to do it on YouTube :ROFLMAO: This guy did a nice job no doubt and stated he soldered and shrink wrapped his work. I had on Putco's site that for our trucks, may be better not to use the 4 plastic mounting brackets and just use 3M tape directly across the entire back of the light bar to the vehicle due to clearance. He seemed to do it using the brackets so I'll have to see what I think. Definitely going to pop the tailgate off to have more working room. This and my new Corsa exhaust are my Christmas gifts to myself...my wife knows better not to buy me truck stuff or electronics ;) This is FAR cheaper than buying the 2500HD I was going to buy. I'll start looking again when the 25MY comes out.

One of the reasons I steered clear of mounting with VHB tape directly, and definitely not the whole length, is that I might have more trouble removing it without damage if I ever needed to for one reason or another, and I did need to since I removed it from my 21 RST/LM2 and moved it to the new ZR2. I know you can dental floss it off in all likelihood pretty easily, still not sure it's worth it or even needed. I found there was a sweet spot (on the Chevrolet Gen 4 anyway) where the clips could be 3M VHB'd to it where the clearance was good (just need an RCH gap) and viewing/display location was also good. IMHO/YMMV

One of the reasons I steered clear of mounting with VHB tape directly, and definitely not the whole length, is that I might have more trouble removing it without damage if I ever needed to for one reason or another, and I did need to since I removed it from my 21 RST/LM2 and moved it to the new ZR2. I know you can dental floss it off in all likelihood pretty easily, still not sure it's worth it or even needed. I found there was a sweet spot (on the Chevrolet Gen 4 anyway) where the clips could be 3M VHB'd to it where the clearance was good (just need an RCH gap) and viewing/display location was also good. IMHO/YMMV
Thanks...the tech at Putco that installed it on the ZR2 in the video stated there is plenty of room to use the 4 clips if you take your time and mount them in the right spot. He said 1/2" too high may create an issue, but that there is plenty of clearance :)

Most Member Reactions

Back