Tailgate Light Bar causes backup sensors to deactivate…gives trailering camera views?

KevO16

Founding Member
Reaction score
Anybody installed a tailgate light bar yet? I bought a Memco 7 to 4-pin in-line adapter and installed it myself very easily. I plugged in my light bar and now lost my back up sensors because my truck thinks I’m constantly towing a trailer. Interestingly, I have the blind spot trailering views now while turn signal is active. I feel like these should just be on with or without a trailer because they’re extremely helpful when driving and there’s no reason NOT to have them for added safety.

Question I have is, has anybody installed a light bar and found a way around losing your backup sensors? If so how did you do it?

Second question is how the heck do I get those blind spot cameras to stay active if I can get my truck to stop thinking I’m towing a trailer, any ideas would be wonderful.

I don't think it's possible to do what your asking. If something is plugged in to your trailer plug. The truck is going to think you have a trailer connected. I'm not sure if it detects a trailer by load or just by completing the circuit, but either way a light bar is going to trigger it. Your only option would just be to use scotch locks or wire taps and wire the light directly to the taillight harness.

If nothing is plugged in then the auto side view doesn't function. But I do agree. I think it should be an option to turn that on without having a trailer. I wouldn't want it on all the time, but in heavy traffic in town it be a good option to have.

Anybody installed a tailgate light bar yet? I bought a Memco 7 to 4-pin in-line adapter and installed it myself very easily. I plugged in my light bar and now lost my back up sensors because my truck thinks I’m constantly towing a trailer. Interestingly, I have the blind spot trailering views now while turn signal is active. I feel like these should just be on with or without a trailer because they’re extremely helpful when driving and there’s no reason NOT to have them for added safety.

Question I have is, has anybody installed a light bar and found a way around losing your backup sensors? If so how did you do it?

Second question is how the heck do I get those blind spot cameras to stay active if I can get my truck to stop thinking I’m towing a trailer, any ideas would be wonderful.
I had the same issue with my 2019, got a putco with the plug-and-play kit, works great on my ZR2.

So I got into my truck today and somehow (not sure how I did it) had an option up to do exactly what I wanted. When in park in the trailer and menu, you can tap on “switch profiles,” then tap “accessory/no trailer,” and it will leave the cameras active, but disables the lock out for the back up sensors. So I now have both! I think the trick is that I wasn’t in park when I tried to switch before.

Thank you Chevy for actually putting in something useful that I wouldn’t have immediately thought about. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 123
So I got into my truck today and somehow (not sure how I did it) had an option up to do exactly what I wanted. When in park in the trailer and menu, you can tap on “switch profiles,” then tap “accessory/no trailer,” and it will leave the cameras active, but disables the lock out for the back up sensors. So I now have both! I think the trick is that I wasn’t in park when I tried to switch before.

Thank you Chevy for actually putting in something useful that I wouldn’t have immediately thought about. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I am very UN tech savvy. Could you please walk me through STEP BY STEP starting at home screen , every keystroke how to do this Thanks

Even a long trailer hitch will screw up the sensors but it won’t tell you that, it just deactivates in my experience

I had the same issue with my 2019, got a putco with the plug-and-play kit, works great on my ZR2.
So looks like it is a harness compatibility issue. I was also thinking of getting a MECMO USCAR splitter adapter.

I installed a Putco Blade light on this weekend and used the wiring harness they had specifically for these trucks. No issues and sensors work properly

The specific model I ordered was Putco 9202060-05 PUT Blade Tailgate Light Bars

Reactions: AXE
So I finally found something better. Got tired of having to reset to “accessory” on the trailering menu and wait 2-3 ignition cycles for the backup sensors to work again only to have it auto switch back off accessory trailer 2-3 more cycles. I bought the opt 7 harness and it’s fantastic. I lose the blind spot mirrors when changing lanes, not sure if anybody knows a way to bring those back, but so much better, cleaner, easier to use. No errors. Took 10 minutes to install.

OPT7 Redline Easy Connect... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YCD82H3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So I finally found something better. Got tired of having to reset to “accessory” on the trailering menu and wait 2-3 ignition cycles for the backup sensors to work again only to have it auto switch back off accessory trailer 2-3 more cycles. I bought the opt 7 harness and it’s fantastic. I lose the blind spot mirrors when changing lanes, not sure if anybody knows a way to bring those back, but so much better, cleaner, easier to use. No errors. Took 10 minutes to install.

OPT7 Redline Easy Connect... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YCD82H3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Awesome 👍 I am going to try it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back