To 87 or to 93... that is the question.

AzZR2Silverado

Founding Member
Reaction score
GM recommends 93 octane. This is my first 6.2L so I want to treat it right. Is everyone just running normal 87 or trying to run higher octane?
I only have two stations in my area that even sell 93, so I have been running her with 91 mostly so far.

GM recommends 93 octane. This is my first 6.2L so I want to treat it right. Is everyone just running normal 87 or trying to run higher octane?
I only have two stations in my area that even sell 93, so I have been running her with 91 mostly so far.
91 is fine. GM recommends 93. Just how Dodge recommends 89+ On the 5.7. Even my wife’s 2.0 fusion recommends Premium.

MPG and power will decline as the engine pulls timing to compensate. But it will run fine.

Should you Ike gauntlet with 9,000 lbs on 87? Probably not. But the engine won’t explode on 91.

Fill with the best you can find. That’s more then most owners with the 6.2

I just roll with 93

I have been running premium in mine but have had to put regular in it when premium was unavailable. I didn’t really notice any performance difference when I used regular but I drive like a old man half the time. Lol

Surprisingly I have been getting over 19 mpg on the highway. I didn’t pay attention to my mileage when I used regular.

91 is fine. GM recommends 93. Just how Dodge recommends 89+ On the 5.7. Even my wife’s 2.0 fusion recommends Premium.

MPG and power will decline as the engine pulls timing to compensate. But it will run fine.

Should you Ike gauntlet with 9,000 lbs on 87? Probably not. But the engine won’t explode on 91.

Fill with the best you can find. That’s more then most owners with the 6.2
Thanks. That's very helpful!

I have been running premium in mine but have had to put regular in it when premium was unavailable. I didn’t really notice any performance difference when I used regular but I drive like a old man half the time. Lol

Surprisingly I have been getting over 19 mpg on the highway. I didn’t pay attention to my mileage when I used regular.
Thanks. I am only 1300 miles into mine, and have been seeing 18-19 mpg on the highway also. Around 16 total with mixed driving. All 91 so far except for the initial tank that the dealership filled up. I assume that was 87 :)

GM actually updated the 6.2L a short time ago and now recommends 91 or higher for the 6.2L, page 304 in your owner manual.

SmartSelect_20220630-024137_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

I've been running 89 in mine for the last few tanks because of gas prices. I did notice that the fuel mileage has dropped from when I was running 93. I filled up with 93 this morning since prices have come down about 50 cents per gallon.

I would never run 87 in a 6.2L. 89 is the lowest I will run and I'll only do that if gas is over $5/gallon.

Great to know! I was relying on the internet search which clearly wasn't the latest info. Thanks!
It doesn't really matter, but I wonder if there was some change in the engine specs or design that made them lower the recommendation to 91?

I ran my 6.2L TB with exclusively 87 and have had no issues. These things are smart enough they know what kind of fuel they are getting and adjust accordingly. The key word is “recommend”. I have another Chevy, a ZL1 Camaro, and if you look at it, premium is “required”. There is a big difference

I ran my 6.2L TB with exclusively 87 and have had no issues. These things are smart enough they know what kind of fuel they are getting and adjust accordingly. The key word is “recommend”. I have another Chevy, a ZL1 Camaro, and if you look at it, premium is “required”. There is a big difference

Correct, although it is a bit confusing as the header says recommended and the paragraph says required...

1656650916406.png

Correct, although it is a bit confusing as the header says recommended and the paragraph says required...

View attachment 514
The supercharged LT4 requires it. The LT1 recommends it. The header is a typo.

This is right out of the manual on our 21 ZL1 1LE.

Attachments

• 1FCB2267-E52F-4248-B726-D4D977A039C8.png
    1FCB2267-E52F-4248-B726-D4D977A039C8.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back