Pre-detonation

I am not referring to "rural" America. I am referring to mainstream American where most of the population lives. If you live in Timbuktu where they get a gas delivery once every week or two, then that's to be expected. I doubt anyone would have any issues if you live near any major city or suburb as most folks do. Anywhere that has a single pump that serves as a restaurant, grocery store, post office, gas station, cannabis sales, erectile dysfunction meds, etc. should be expected to have shortages based on delivery schedules.
So all the mall crawlers should be okay.

Mainstream America........WTF is that? Does that mean Florida where you live in a state with 50% of the land mass and 22 million of your closest friends?

I thought it was a straight line from Amarillo, Texas to Fortuna, North Dakota on US 85 where you might find a couple towns with 10,000 people in 1200 miles.
You know what that means...don't play dumb! Most of the US population live in or near a major city...there is no disputing that fact. There are rural areas in FL too ;)

You know what that means...don't play dumb! Most of the US population live in or near a major city...there is no disputing that fact. There are rural areas in FL too ;)
Where they have no “need” for a zr2 😅

Joking aside, spending a lot of time in the Dakotas, Montana, and Wyoming hunting, camping, etc…it’s 100% not the same as many other parts of the country and you do at times take what you can get.

I tend to agree though, based simply on the manual that comes with the truck…87 should be fine. “Reduced performance…” does not mean engine problems to me at least.

Last edited:
Where they have no “need” for a zr2 😅

Joking aside, spending a lot of time in the Dakotas, Montana, and Wyoming hunting, camping, etc…it’s 100% not the same as many other parts of the country and you do at times take what you can get.

I tend to agree though, based simply on the manual that comes with the truck…87 should be fine. “Reduced performance…” does not mean engine problems to me at least.
Just another reason to drive an oil burner.;) The ranch is 26 miles from the closest fuel in far S/E NM. Literally more oil burners than gas trucks but it is and has been a booming oil drilling and production area for years now.

ZR2 community,

Good day to all...

Bought a 2023 ZR2 last May and love the truck...however, got a question for all the ZR2 owners out there...What octane fuel do you run?

I have been using regular 87 octane since I drove it off the lot...about 3 months ago, it started to ping...rather aggressively...I thought it might be the software push they did around that time. I searched this forum and noted that some people are experiencing this, but not all...I have not tried 91 octane yet but an going to...

To those folks out there using 87 octane, do you get pre-detonation? Is anyone using 91 octane and getting pre-detonation?

Thanks...
What does it say on the fuel door? Premium fuel recommended! Why is this so hard for people to understand!

What does it say on the fuel door? Premium fuel recommended! Why is this so hard for people to understand!
It's not, just burn 87 to 93 like the manual says and everthing works fine just like it was designed to do.

The manual doesn’t say to burn 87. It says to burn 91. 87 is ok but not recommended.

I'm not from "Mainstream America" tho. Still looking at my Rand McNally, gonna try and swing through sometime soon.

ZR2 community,

Good day to all...

Bought a 2023 ZR2 last May and love the truck...however, got a question for all the ZR2 owners out there...What octane fuel do you run?

I have been using regular 87 octane since I drove it off the lot...about 3 months ago, it started to ping...rather aggressively...I thought it might be the software push they did around that time. I searched this forum and noted that some people are experiencing this, but not all...I have not tried 91 octane yet but an going to...

To those folks out there using 87 octane, do you get pre-detonation? Is anyone using 91 octane and getting pre-detonation?

Thanks...
This is listed in the ZR 2 HD thread, is it not? The ZR2 HD was not available in May.

Most Member Reactions

Back