Trusted Device?

8ball_99

Reaction score
Anyone know much about this? This has never worked since I purchased my truck until the recent update. I guess since the update you can now add your phone as a trusted device through the onstar app. I'm having a little bit of a hard time understanding it's use.

I went through the setup the other day and it all seemed to go through. Trusted device added. When I open the app on my phone it prompts me it's a trusted device. It basically just says it allows users to be automatically logged in to their profile when their trusted device is connected. Which, I mean from what I understand the key fob basically does that? I thought maybe it would allow your phone to be used as a key. It does not from what I can tell. I can't really figure out what it's supposed to do actually.

But ever since I set it up, now my truck wants a pattern entered on the screen to unlock the infotainment every time I get in. That or if I unlock my phone while in the truck it unlocks the infotainment screen. I've also had 3 different occasions where my truck prompted me key missing, 1 restart allowed when shutting my truck off. I also got in the other day and the truck wouldn't start. It said key missing. I even held key fob to the button and still nothing. Fooled around with it for a few mins and got it working. This was the first hick up. So I actually thought my keyfob battery was low. So I immediately drove to ace hardware and bought a battery lol. But it did the same thing again about key missing when I shut down the truck even with the new key fob battery. I'm sure I'll just end up turning all that off and removing my phone as a trusted device. It just seems to be causing problems. I would just like to know what it's actually supposed to do? Little hard to trouble shoot something, when you don't even know what it does when working properly, lol

Ok small update, I'm guessing no one else knows what it does either lol. I went into settings on the infotainment and changed log in type to None. This also unchecked the option to log in with trusted device. When I did this it prompted me that anyone could log into my profile are you sure? Since I changed that, I haven't had any more problems with missing key warnings, ect. So best I can tell, all the trusted device deal is for is to allow you to unlock your infotainment screen with your phone. I don't really see the point in locking the infotainment screen. For it to come on you already have to have a key. I guess maybe this is a security feature so valet parking or someone in a service garage can't go into your map data, ect. Which isn't a terrible if you hand your key off to others often. The Remake of Charles Bronson's death wish comes to mind.

But although the update fixed the paring process. This feature just doesn't work well for me. My phone doesn't automatically unlock it. I have to either enter a pin on the truck screen or unlock my phone once it's connected. Even though I have smart lock turned on my phone. Which keeps it unlocked when connected to My Chevrolet. Best I can tell with a samsung phone anyway. There is no option to automatically unlock the phone once it connects to another device. It only has the option to stay unlocked while connected. So the trusted device deal just adds another step and slows down the infotainment startup when you get in your truck.

My phone is still paired as trusted device, But with the pin off and the log in with trusted device option unchecked. Best I can tell it does nothing. It would have been cool if it allowed your phone to be used as a key when paired. That actually would have made it worth unlocking my phone every time I get in the truck. To me though half the point of wireless android auto is so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket every time you get in the vehicle.

Ok small update, I'm guessing no one else knows what it does either lol. I went into settings on the infotainment and changed log in type to None. This also unchecked the option to log in with trusted device. When I did this it prompted me that anyone could log into my profile are you sure? Since I changed that, I haven't had any more problems with missing key warnings, ect. So best I can tell, all the trusted device deal is for is to allow you to unlock your infotainment screen with your phone. I don't really see the point in locking the infotainment screen. For it to come on you already have to have a key. I guess maybe this is a security feature so valet parking or someone in a service garage can't go into your map data, ect. Which isn't a terrible if you hand your key off to others often. The Remake of Charles Bronson's death wish comes to mind.

But although the update fixed the paring process. This feature just doesn't work well for me. My phone doesn't automatically unlock it. I have to either enter a pin on the truck screen or unlock my phone once it's connected. Even though I have smart lock turned on my phone. Which keeps it unlocked when connected to My Chevrolet. Best I can tell with a samsung phone anyway. There is no option to automatically unlock the phone once it connects to another device. It only has the option to stay unlocked while connected. So the trusted device deal just adds another step and slows down the infotainment startup when you get in your truck.

My phone is still paired as trusted device, But with the pin off and the log in with trusted device option unchecked. Best I can tell it does nothing. It would have been cool if it allowed your phone to be used as a key when paired. That actually would have made it worth unlocking my phone every time I get in the truck. To me though half the point of wireless android auto is so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket every time you get in the vehicle.

I went through a similar journey with the "Trusted Device" settings. As you did, I ended up selecting none in the login type. The "Auto Unlock" was hit or miss with my iPhone. After choosing none for login type my phone quit connecting to CarPlay. I ended up deleting my phone from the infotainment system and reconnecting it to solve the problem.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back