Welp, I Broke’d Today

wutang61

Founding Member
Reaction score
IMG_1400.jpeg

Didn’t have my scan tool. But consistent with a faulty FPDM. Truck died while running. Will crank no start.

Was able to trick it into neutral and push it. Only had to drag the ass enough with the e brake locked to pop it on the bed.

Very common issue with these trucks if my guess lands correct. Back order no ETA if I’m right. Could be awhile! 😎

Last edited:
View attachment 6663

Didn’t have my scan tool. But consistent with a faulty FPDM. Truck died while running. Will crank no start.

Was able to trick it into neutral and push it. Only had to drag the ass enough with the e brake locked to pop it on the bed.

Very common issue with these trucks if my guess lands correct. Back order no ETA if I’m right. Could be awhile! 😎
I'm glad you were able to get it in to neutral at least. That's ridiculous having the truck put itself into park, I would hate to come to a stop in the middle lane of an interstate with a problem!

View attachment 6663

Sorry to hear that! I hope you don't get the run around and have to wait months!

I'm glad you were able to get it in to neutral at least. That's ridiculous having the truck put itself into park, I would hate to come to a stop in the middle lane of an interstate with a problem!
That in my opinion is the worst case scenario being in heavy traffic.

I was towing my camper with my Duramax 70MPh up hill in moderate intersate traffic going turkey hunting. DIC flashes "reduced power" warning and it almost immediately went from 70 mph to 25 mph. Thought I was gonna get rear ended. People blowing past me 80mph. Was able to clear code and get to my destination about 15 miles away. Turned out to be a bad DEF temp sensor and it completely put truck into limp mode. It was probably 75 degrees out so DEF temp never mattered anyway it was still getting added into exhaust slipstream regardless, yet I damn near caused a pile up because of that bullshit.

View attachment 6663

How many miles???? 2023 or 2022???

Reactions: AXE
That in my opinion is the worst case scenario being in heavy traffic.

I was towing my camper with my Duramax 70MPh up hill in moderate intersate traffic going turkey hunting. DIC flashes "reduced power" warning and it almost immediately went from 70 mph to 25 mph. Thought I was gonna get rear ended. People blowing past me 80mph. Was able to clear code and get to my destination about 15 miles away. Turned out to be a bad DEF temp sensor and it completely put truck into limp mode. It was probably 75 degrees out so DEF temp never mattered anyway it was still getting added into exhaust slipstream regardless, yet I damn near caused a pile up because of that bullshit.
My wife had a 370Z , back in 2009. We were passing a car on a popular beltway around the Metro and this happened. Scared us both! I said what did you do, nothing! She was able to get it over to the shoulder fortunately. We had it towed, as it was pretty new. Dealer replaced the PCM, under warranty. That's the only issue we ever had with that car and it was always excellent from there on. Back then you could still move the shifter with just the ignition in the on position.

View attachment 6663

So how did you trick it in to neutral? My fuel pump control module went out in 75mph San Antonio traffic. I was thankful I managed to coast to the shoulder from the fast lane.Once she stopped that was it. Tried all kinds of stuff that is in the owners manual, but nothing worked. TXDOT HEROS had to use dollies to get us off the highway shoulder to a safe location. Then roadside assistance had to use blocks of wood like skates to get the truck onto the rollback wrecker. Totally unsat not to have a way to override the electronics to put it in neutral. My 2014 RAM RT had a red nylon piece near the fuse box to put it in neutral, why can't Chevy do the same?

We definitely need to sort this out as it likely isn't the last time someone has an issue. There must be an overide procedure.

So how did you trick it in to neutral? My fuel pump control module went out in 75mph San Antonio traffic. I was thankful I managed to coast to the shoulder from the fast lane.Once she stopped that was it. Tried all kinds of stuff that is in the owners manual, but nothing worked. TXDOT HEROS had to use dollies to get us off the highway shoulder to a safe location. Then roadside assistance had to use blocks of wood like skates to get the truck onto the rollback wrecker. Totally unsat not to have a way to override the electronics to put it in neutral. My 2014 RAM RT had a red nylon piece near the fuse box to put it in neutral, why can't Chevy do the same?
You're right! I doubt that they care, sadly!

When I called the dealer to prep them for a cinderblock (non drive) I told them that it was probably the FPDM. I called the parts department before service and ran the locator. The parts guy informed me a dealer across the state had one but they didn’t buy from that dealership.

The dealership world, for those who don’t know, is closer to the mafia family mentality then you realize. So that’s the major source of parts run around.

But I wasn’t worried as I work in the industry and we do buy from Autonation.

Once I got the phone call of “yep you’re right and backorder no ETA” I said okay no problem. I’ll get it myself.

76.67 my cost (which I have to eat as GM won’t reimburse me) and I’ll have it lunch time tomorrow. I’ll pay the 80 bucks and move on with my life. Don’t care to have my shit sit for an undetermined amount of time getting F-ed with fallout.

@The_Q as far as how I tricked the truck, after a unsuccessful dry start the second time I was able to get enough fuel pressure for the engine to fire for a split second. Rammed it into Drive and then bumped it to N once it died.

Be warned. If you open the door, it will Auto Park.

This FPDM issue is much more common then any lifter issue that’s been blown out of proportion at this point.

@Swan The Truck is an early 2022. 13,800 miles.

When I called the dealer to prep them for a cinderblock (non drive) I told them that it was probably the FPDM. I called the parts department before service and ran the locator. The parts guy informed me a dealer across the state had one but they didn’t buy from that dealership.

The dealership world, for those who don’t know, is closer to the mafia family mentality then you realize. So that’s the major source of parts run around.

Once I got the phone call of “yep you’re right and backorder no ETA” I said okay no problem. I’ll get it myself.

76.67 my cost (which I have to eat as GM won’t reimburse me) and I’ll have it lunch time tomorrow. I’ll pay the 80 bucks and move on with my life. Don’t care to have my shit sit for an undetermined amount of time getting F-ed with fallout.

@The_Q as far as how I tricked the truck, after a unsuccessful dry start the second time I was able to get enough fuel pressure for the engine to fire for a split second. Rammed it into Drive and then bumped it to N once it died.

This FPDM issue is much more common then any lifter issue that’s been blown out of proportion at this point.

Way to go Wutang!! I would do the same thing if I worked in the business.

Way to go Wutang!! I would do the same thing if I worked in the business.

Do you have the part number? I might just grab one to keep on the shelf

Do you have the part number? I might just grab one to keep on the shelf
Seriously, subd as I’ll stick one in the glove box too. It would go broke on me in a backcountry hunting situation and I’d be completely screwed

@wutang61 do u know if the 3.0 duramax leveraged the same part / same failure prome for those potentially looking into a ‘24 with the LZ0?

Seriously, subd as I’ll stick one in the glove box too. It would go broke on me in a backcountry hunting situation and I’d be completely screwed

@wutang61 do u know if the 3.0 duramax leveraged the same part / same failure prome for those potentially looking into a ‘24 with the LZ0?
I do not believe the modules are the same for gas and diesel engines. The pressures are way different, but I could be wrong.

I do not believe the modules are the same for gas and diesel engines. The pressures are way different, but I could be wrong.
Sure, fully expect that actual pump to be different, I was referring to the fuel pump control module…wasn’t sure if that part was the same w/ different programming or not. Just curious.

Most Member Reactions

Back