Wireless Charging Retrofit

So I drove my truck today finally and was playing around with the wireless charger. I pulled the rubber insert out and found a vent blows cool air over the module while your HVAC is on. On the back side of the rubber insert are small channels that allows the air to blow up and over the wireless module. The channels stand the rubber insert off the wireless module maybe 1 to 2mm. If I remove the rubber insert my phone charges fine on fast charge. With the rubber insert in, if I push down on my phone slightly, closing the distance between the phone and module, my phone charges fine as well.

So a guy could pull the insert, or try to cut the channels down and reduce the distance. Also could shim the module if thats even possible.
Interesting!

I ignore that. I understand that many people hate the stock charger. I never had any issues with the one in my previous truck and used it all of the time. I mean I put it on there for a bit a charge while I am driving. Not expecting it to be a fast charger. I actually like the new placement of the wire charger and not so much in the pre refresh.

I personally can't wait to install the kit from 404 parts.

Thanks Firedog, for what it's worth, I googled the module part number and there is a guy on ebay selling them for $100. Not sure I'd be brave enough for ebay but some might want to.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Firedog, for what it's worth, I googled the module part number and there is a guy on ebay selling them for $100. Not sure I'd be brave enough for ebay but some might want to.

VERY TEMPTING!!! On my watchlist.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
OK guys...I have researching the CRAP out of this and reading a ton of different information. It appears that the correct part number is a 13547619 for our trucks. GM is coming out with a retrofit kit part number 13536047 that is not yet available. GM Engineering is saying that trucks with the K4C delete could be missing the module and harness; just the module; an incorrect BCM; need to have the BCM reprogrammed, etc. I find this hard to believe since 404parts is selling this kit to several K4C delete customers and all anyone needed to do was install and plug in the module. The module is only around $120 shipped. 404parts wants $250, so not happy about that. However, if they guarantee it will work without all the BS, it may just be worth it to spend the $249 and know that they will support you. Sometimes I wonder GM knows their head from their ass:unsure:

I'd be pretty upset if I was put in ya'lls position. If GM is going to only give you a 75 dollar credit for it being excluded. Then it should be 75 dollars from GM to order the module. Telling me the module is going to be 120 and that I might need an extra harness and programming, ect. That is complete BS. I mean you already bought the vehicle, so I guess some of it is on you. That would have been the time to negotiate the credit/missing features. But if they are going to credit you for a missing part. The credit should be atleast equal to the retail cost of the OEM part. Honestly should be more for the inconvenience and the labor to install.

That's like them running out of spare tires. Giving you a 200 credit but selling you one from the parts department for 500. You are just paying more for standard equipment. The other retrofits were paying you for the inconvenience and then installing the part later for free when available. This omitting parts and not even deducting the actual value is a whole other deal.

I'd be pretty upset if I was put in ya'lls position. If GM is going to only give you a 75 dollar credit for it being excluded. Then it should be 75 dollars from GM to order the module. Telling me the module is going to be 120 and that I might need an extra harness and programming, ect. That is complete BS. I mean you already bought the vehicle, so I guess some of it is on you. That would have been the time to negotiate the credit/missing features. But if they are going to credit you for a missing part. The credit should be atleast equal to the retail cost of the OEM part. Honestly should be more for the inconvenience and the labor to install.

That's like them running out of spare tires. Giving you a 200 credit but selling you one from the parts department for 500. You are just paying more for standard equipment. The other retrofits were paying you for the inconvenience and then installing the part later for free when available. This omitting parts and not even deducting the actual value is a whole other deal.
Totally agree my friend. However, at the time of purchase, your thoughts aren't focused around getting the part to add the charging and determining what the cost and install would be. Personally, I don't use it and haven't in any vehicle I've owned. My wife would like it if I had it. I may only get it because I know there's a spot for it and that I don't have it and should. You are 100% correct in that, if they are giving you a "credit", then make it worth the amount it will cost to add it. However, we all know it doesn't work that way. I may just bite the bullet and spend the $249 to have it supported by the 404parts guys versus buying a non-returnable part from a dealer or other on-line resource and finding that it won't work properly. I'm going to think about it this a bit more week before pulling the trigger. Do I need it? No. Do I want it? Yes :ROFLMAO:

I think im ok with no wireless charger, i have a Tacoma, 2016 Silverado and both have wireless charger and i don't use them because with south texas heat, usually after a few hundred miles the rubber will bubble and create a 2-3mm gap between contact pad and phone making it worthless unless i press or add weight to my phone. It's not the end of the world tbh. Only badass wireless charger im 100 in love with is my 2023 Cadillac escalade.

I think im ok with no wireless charger, i have a Tacoma, 2016 Silverado and both have wireless charger and i don't use them because with south texas heat, usually after a few hundred miles the rubber will bubble and create a 2-3mm gap between contact pad and phone making it worthless unless i press or add weight to my phone. It's not the end of the world tbh. Only badass wireless charger im 100 in love with is my 2023 Cadillac escalade.
The ZR2 charger has an ac duct blowing on the back of the pad. So it actually has active cooling.

Personally I really like having the charger and I use mine daily. I would add it if mine would have been missing. GM should have handled that better.

The ZR2 charger has an ac duct blowing on the back of the pad. So it actually has active cooling.

Personally I really like having the charger and I use mine daily. I would add it if mine would have been missing. GM should have handled that better.
Agreed!

That's not the point. But sure if it's something you need go ahead an add it. I can live without it forsure. Either way like stated once rubber bubbles up with the heat of the sun when truck is not on you will probably loose that feature unless you are carrying a brick of a phone.

That's not the point. But sure if it's something you need go ahead an add it. I can live without it forsure. Either way like stated once rubber bubbles up with the heat of the sun when truck is not on you will probably loose that feature unless you are carrying a brick of a phone.
Mine came with it from the factory, so no need to add it. I did actually add one to the top of the center console so I'd have two. But yeah I find streaming and using wireless android auto does pull down the battery on my phone if it's not on the charger, but I'm in my truck fair amount.

My bad, I misunderstood the texas heat part. I thought you meant during use in the Texas heat is what caused the damage to you old truck. FWIW the rubber pad on a ZR2 is easily removed.

My pleasure. I will try to take pics. But the instructions they sent me seem very easy, BUT it is involved because you have to move the seats and lift up and tilt the center console in order to install.

We are expecting rain this weekend and if it does rain I won't be able to this weekend, and have to do it next weekend :(.

I was really bummed when I saw the $75 credit and no retrofit for the wireless charger, but that is me.
Firedog, any chance you can post the instructions? I'd like to see them before I pull the trigger on the retrofit. Thanks, Rick

I’m in the same boat as you guys with my ‘23 Silverado - built without the wireless module. I purchased the module but it didn’t come with installation instructions. Would love to get my grubby little mits on the instructions.

I’m in the same boat as you guys with my ‘23 Silverado - built without the wireless module. I purchased the module but it didn’t come with installation instructions. Would love to get my grubby little mits on the instructions.
PM me your email and I'll send them to you.

Do all the 23 models not have wireless charging installed? Every one I find that i want is missing it with the $75 credit.

Wonder if you can just Velcro a MagSafe charger in that slot under the console? Small enough you may not be able to see it and still charge faster?

Do all the 23 models not have wireless charging installed? Every one I find that i want is missing it with the $75 credit.

Wonder if you can just Velcro a MagSafe charger in that slot under the console? Small enough you may not be able to see it and still charge faster?
Mine was a credit too. You can buy an OEM device and install it yourself. The part costs about $120 shipped. I have the install instructions too.

Mine was a credit too. You can buy an OEM device and install it yourself. The part costs about $120 shipped. I have the install instructions too.
Oh yeah? I’m not very good with retro fitting stuff. Will for sure break it. The truck I’m looking at doesn’t have it and there is not dealer retro fit option. That sucks. They charge $500 for an option and give a $75 credit back and don’t fix? Weird.

Oh yeah? I’m not very good with retro fitting stuff. Will for sure break it. The truck I’m looking at doesn’t have it and there is not dealer retro fit option. That sucks. They charge $500 for an option and give a $75 credit back and don’t fix? Weird.
Actually, not as bad to install as you may think and would be very hard to break something. You could always buy the part and have a car audio install shop do it for a small fee. I have the install instructions.

Most Member Reactions

Back