ZR2 1500 the fuel efficient ZR2 option?

ZR2EDDYB

Reaction score
I was reading a review on the Colorado ZR2 and was surprised to see EPA estimates of 15 city and 16 highway.

I saw another user post the ZR2 HD with an average of 15mpg in what appeared to be highway miles.

Is the 1500 in gas/diesel really the most fuel efficient ZR2 model?

I was reading a review on the Colorado ZR2 and was surprised to see EPA estimates of 15 city and 16 highway.

I saw another user post the ZR2 HD with an average of 15mpg in what appeared to be highway miles.

I was really surprised at the Colorado numbers also. Lots of reviews and videos on them on YouTube. Not so much on the Zr2 version. But safe to assume it's worse than a trailboss version. That 4 banger makes good power. Just doesn't seem all that great on mileage.

I'm curious to see more real world numbers on the HD with the 6.6 gas. It doesn't seem like it's to bad. Especially considering you have a 36 gallon tank and it's rated to run 87. My 1500 ZR2 averages around 15mpg.

People seem drawn to these mid - sized trucks. Especially the Tacoma! I don't see the value, personally. I've tried compact & mid sized trucks. The mileage difference isn't that good, the comfort certainly isn't nearly as good. I guess they are easier to park, but that just takes getting used to the vehicle. From what I have read the full size Silverado with the 3.0 liter diesel is the fuel mileage champ.

Reactions: AXE
People seem drawn to these mid - sized trucks. Especially the Tacoma! I don't see the value, personally. I've tried compact & mid sized trucks. The mileage difference isn't that good, the comfort certainly isn't nearly as good. I guess they are easier to park, but that just takes getting used to the vehicle. From what I have read the full size Silverado with the 3.0 liter diesel is the fuel mileage champ.
I have the ZR2 with the 3.0 and got 25 mpg on the first 2 tanks driving pretty easy. Having some fun with it on the 3rd tank and down to 22 mpg.

I have the ZR2 with the 3.0 and got 25 mpg on the first 2 tanks driving pretty easy. Having some fun with it on the 3rd tank and down to 22 mpg.
I have one ordered with a TPW that keeps getting pushed, told dealer it would have to be here by end of calendar year so it’s looking like it may come down to the wire. Pretty curious on the mileage via my 6.2…is that a good mix of city/highway? Mainly highway? And interstate at 80 or easy commuter at 65’ish. Appreciate the insights!

I average about 18-19mpg with city and highway mixed with my 6.2L.
I've seen as high as low 20's if I baby it around town which is much better than I was expecting. Towing is not pretty.

I do still wish the Diesel would of been an option in '22.

If you are putting ZR2 and fuel efficient in the same sentence, you should go look at a Prius!
We obviously don’t buy these trucks for fuel efficiency.

I find it funny they utilize a 4cyl for efficiency but still only get 15/16 mpg out of it. I’m assuming the gas tank is similar in size to my previous Tacoma. I would get sub 300 mile range after a full fill up in that thing.

im happy wirh my 8.9 mile average around town lol.... i just wish they would fix my radio dropout.

I have one ordered with a TPW that keeps getting pushed, told dealer it would have to be here by end of calendar year so it’s looking like it may come down to the wire. Pretty curious on the mileage via my 6.2…is that a good mix of city/highway? Mainly highway? And interstate at 80 or easy commuter at 65’ish. Appreciate the insights!
Never mind, got a call today, she’s been built with delivery date ETA of 11/9…guess I’ll find out soon enough.

I averaged 14.9 or so after 15000 miles in my 6.2…

I average about 18-19mpg with city and highway mixed with my 6.2L.
I've seen as high as low 20's if I baby it around town which is much better than I was expecting. Towing is not pretty.

I do still wish the Diesel would of been an option in '22.
If you're getting 18-19 mixed...you must be driving like an old lady and sticking to the speed limit or below. Have some fun man and enjoy your toy!

I am not sure how fuel efficient the ZR2 1500 with the 3.0 is or will be but i can tell you my father in law has a 1500 2wd with the 3.0 and is getting in them mid 30’s mpg and my best friend has a AT4 1500 with the 3.0 and he is getting low 30’s mpg highway. I have rode and driven both and they are impressive. Also i have a 2018 ZR2 Colorado with the 2.8 Duramax and i get between 26 and 28 sometimes as high as 30mpg depending on how i drive it. i am also very impressed with it and have no clue why they got rid of the 2.8 i have not had one issue with it and it will be 6 years old

Last edited:
I am not sure how fuel efficient the ZR2 1500 with the 3.0 is or will be but i can tell you my father in law has a 1500 2wd with the 3.0 and is getting in them mid 30’s mpg and my best friend has a AT4 1500 with the 3.0 and he is getting low 30’s mpg highway. I have rode and driven both and they are impressive. Also i have a 2018 ZR2 Colorado with the 2.8 Duramax and i get between 26 and 28 sometimes as high as 30mpg depending on how i drive it. i am also very impressed with it and have no clue why they got rid of the 2.8 i have not had one issue with it and it will be 6 years old
They dropped the 2.8 because it wasn't popular and it did have some reliability problems. It was a pretty old design and it only made like 180hp. I'm sure sales would have dropped to nothing compared to the 4 banger with 310hp and 430tq.

They dropped the 2.8 because it wasn't popular and it did have some reliability problems. It was a pretty old design and it only made like 180hp. I'm sure sales would have dropped to nothing compared to the 4 banger with 310hp and 430tq.
I did a clean tune from duramaxtuner.com with the switch on the fly which gives it +52Hp +94ftlbs of torq and it woke the little truck up bigtime. A few weeks ago my buddy with the AT4 3.0 Duramax and me raced and the Colorado smoked him. We also raced with my tuner turned down a second time and he beat me pretty bad so the tune made all the difference. On reliability i have had the truck for about 6 years now and have not ad one issue it's just been great and i hope it continues because i am giving it to my son as his first vehicle and ordered a ZR2 2500 HD for me.

Mixed driving with several 5 to 10 mile trips. No interstate, 60-65 mph.

If you're getting 18-19 mixed...you must be driving like an old lady and sticking to the speed limit or below. Have some fun man and enjoy your toy!
I do drive it more conservatively than most I would agree. If I need a thrill I hop in my street truck which is around 1300hp. 😁
Each toy has it's purpose, I'm good just cruising around in the ZR2 and when I can I go do some offroading.

I did a clean tune from duramaxtuner.com with the switch on the fly which gives it +52Hp +94ftlbs of torq and it woke the little truck up bigtime. A few weeks ago my buddy with the AT4 3.0 Duramax and me raced and the Colorado smoked him. We also raced with my tuner turned down a second time and he beat me pretty bad so the tune made all the difference. On reliability i have had the truck for about 6 years now and have not ad one issue it's just been great and i hope it continues because i am giving it to my son as his first vehicle and ordered a ZR2 2500 HD for me.
I had a Colorado ZR2 w/ 2.8L as well with a duramaxtuner tune in it and really loved how peppy that damn truck was. I averaged mid 20's which annoyed me because I was hoping to be in the low 30's. But it was such a great truck, I traded it for another car which I then sold to buy the 1500 ZR2. Couldn't talk myself into needing two trucks that did the same thing but boy did I love that truck.

I had a Colorado ZR2 w/ 2.8L as well with a duramaxtuner tune in it and really loved how peppy that damn truck was. I averaged mid 20's which annoyed me because I was hoping to be in the low 30's. But it was such a great truck, I traded it for another car which I then sold to buy the 1500 ZR2. Couldn't talk myself into needing two trucks that did the same thing but boy did I love that truck.
yeah i love that little truck so i am keeping it and it will be my son's first ride

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back