ZR2 on the dunes

BlueToo

Founding Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I took my ZR2 to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan. If you haven’t heard of it it’s an ORV park that’s about 400 acres big with several large dunes to climb, places to drag race in the sand, and just general desert type off roading. I left seriously impressed with the capabilities of this truck. The photos really don’t even come close to doing justice to just how big and steep these hills are.

Since people tend to compare the ZR2 to a TRX or Raptor, which are a lot more purpose built for sand / Baja type off-roading vs the ZR2s more trail running style I wanted to see how the ZR2 would manage in that environment vs those trucks. I went with my buddy who has a gen 2 Raptor to test it against. I was able to go anywhere he went and easily keep up with him the entire time.

It handled climbing the dunes like it was nothing. I didn’t even need to use momentum to get up even the steepest climbs, which according the the off-roading pages in the truck was 27°. I could go from a dead stop at the bottom of the hill and make it up without the truck going over 3,500 RPM. Some areas were pretty whooped out, which the ZR2 didn’t especially excel at, but neither did the Raptor. Other than that I had no other issues.

The ZR2 got a ton of attention. Every time I stopped I had people asking about it and taking pictures of it.

Attachments

• C8011E44-EA52-46DC-B91D-5DA99F8FA76E.jpeg
    C8011E44-EA52-46DC-B91D-5DA99F8FA76E.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 334
  • DB43266E-8FCD-4A09-8B7B-4695C3AB7DB6.jpeg
    DB43266E-8FCD-4A09-8B7B-4695C3AB7DB6.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 5065CC84-C51E-40FE-9122-E934EBE41CBB.jpeg
    5065CC84-C51E-40FE-9122-E934EBE41CBB.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 8AA9D2EB-D058-44D6-993E-E6E1C62C26AD.jpeg
    8AA9D2EB-D058-44D6-993E-E6E1C62C26AD.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 9D0211C3-B713-4ED4-B528-3E14F70A96F0.jpeg
    9D0211C3-B713-4ED4-B528-3E14F70A96F0.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Definitely want to get there with my Zr2 and our quads.

Yesterday I took my ZR2 to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan. If you haven’t heard of it it’s an ORV park that’s about 400 acres big with several large dunes to climb, places to drag race in the sand, and just general desert type off roading. I left seriously impressed with the capabilities of this truck. The photos really don’t even come close to doing justice to just how big and steep these hills are.

Since people tend to compare the ZR2 to a TRX or Raptor, which are a lot more purpose built for sand / Baja type off-roading vs the ZR2s more trail running style I wanted to see how the ZR2 would manage in that environment vs those trucks. I went with my buddy who has a gen 2 Raptor to test it against. I was able to go anywhere he went and easily keep up with him the entire time.

It handled climbing the dunes like it was nothing. I didn’t even need to use momentum to get up even the steepest climbs, which according the the off-roading pages in the truck was 27°. I could go from a dead stop at the bottom of the hill and make it up without the truck going over 3,500 RPM. Some areas were pretty whooped out, which the ZR2 didn’t especially excel at, but neither did the Raptor. Other than that I had no other issues.

The ZR2 got a ton of attention. Every time I stopped I had people asking about it and taking pictures of it.
What did you end up airing down to?

Definitely want to get there with my Zr2 and our quads.
It was worth the trip we had a blast. I definitely recommend not going on a holiday weekend though. It was like Mad Max out there.

Last edited:
I took mine out to Silverlake on July 3rd. I agree whole-heartedly that nothing stopped this truck. I even saw a Raptor and several Jeeps (surprisingly) not make it up test hill. So, to make it every time without issue, says a lot for this truck in stock configuration. Especially to those gripers who insist on 35's, a supercharger, and a wide body. lol. This truck also kept up on the drag strip with a couple Rators, but got smoked by a TRX, as too be expected.

I aired down to 15, per the park recommendations.

I also had a chance to use the front lockers as well, when I had to avoid someone else and stopped in very loose sand. It was incredibly easy to get out.

Nice pictures man and awesome truck. Just noticed your front skid plate is bent it seems (like mine 😂) wondering if its still the case or you fixed it?

awesome

I took mine out to Silverlake on July 3rd. I agree whole-heartedly that nothing stopped this truck. I even saw a Raptor and several Jeeps (surprisingly) not make it up test hill. So, to make it every time without issue, says a lot for this truck in stock configuration. Especially to those gripers who insist on 35's, a supercharger, and a wide body. lol. This truck also kept up on the drag strip with a couple Rators, but got smoked by a TRX, as too be expected.

I aired down to 15, per the park recommendations.

I also had a chance to use the front lockers as well, when I had to avoid someone else and stopped in very loose sand. It was incredibly easy to get out.

View attachment 766
HS...excellent video!!!

Most Member Reactions

Back