ZR2 Wheel and Tire Configs

17x8.5" Icon wheels with 0 offset
35×12.50 Toyo Open Country Rt Trails
Just sidewall sticks out slightly! Need to put on big boy pants though, and trim the front bumper exactly like Axe did in his thread. Trimmed mine over the weekend and it's awesome to have a 35 and no rub at all at full lock! Thanks again for the great trimming info and pics, Axe. 👍
Looks great!

To clarify, you were running this setup with no suspension mods and minimal trimming?

I can show you what 1.25" spacers do on stock tires and wheels. Perfect amount IMO. Sits flush with the side steps and the upper fender. In the pictures front passenger side is with spacers and front driver side is stock.
View attachment 7378View attachment 7379
Wow! Makes a huge difference.

Since the spacer is the only modification here, I'm curious - do you get any tire rub at full lock?

I can show you what 1.25" spacers do on stock tires and wheels. Perfect amount IMO. Sits flush with the side steps and the upper fender. In the pictures front passenger side is with spacers and front driver side is stock.
View attachment 7378View attachment 7379
What brand spacers did you go with? This is the look that I am going for as well. Maybe upsize the tires to 285-295 as well.

Hi all,

Love these trucks, but am not overly-thrilled with the stock stance. I see that a lot of you have played with spacers, etc, and based on some of the information here, I think I've stumbled on a sort of "sweet spot" where this is concerned. I'm curious to see if anyone has tried it.

17x8.5 wheels at 0 offset wrapped with 285/75R17s. A bit concerned about the height jump here, but I *think* it has a shot at fitting. Is anyone running this or something similar?
I have Method 17 x 8.5 with 0 offset wheels and BFG Ko2 295/70/17's. (33.3 x 12). I have no level or suspension mods, bone stock. The stance is flush with fender flares. No rubbing at all. How ever, its about as close as you can get without trimming. The 285/75's will most likely rub the front bumper.

Attachments

• 20230608_151622.jpg
    20230608_151622.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 20230608_151906.jpg
    20230608_151906.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 207
I have Method 17 x 8.5 with 0 offset wheels and BFG Ko2 295/70/17's. (33.3 x 12). I have no level or suspension mods, bone stock. The stance is flush with fender flares. No rubbing at all. How ever, its about as close as you can get without trimming. The 285/75's will most likely rub the front bumper.
Holy crap. Are these the 316's? That's the exact wheel I was looking at. Lol. Looks great!

Holy crap. Are these the 316's? That's the exact wheel I was looking at. Lol. Looks great!
They are 316's. I went with them because they only weigh 26 lbs. Thank you, I like how it looks too.

Reactions: AXE
The bottom line IMHO is if you go over a 34" inch tire with or without a level kit of any configuration, you will need to trim or shim out your bumper if you want absolutely no rubbing! If you trim it, you'll get a 35 on with a 0 offset 8.5" wheel with ease. Full lock, both directions, up driveways.... no worries no rubbing. You can trim without anyone even picking up what you did!

Attachments

• 20231005_170825.jpg
    20231005_170825.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20231005_170742.jpg
    20231005_170742.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 127
The bottom line IMHO is if you go over a 34" inch tire with or without a level kit of any configuration, you will need to trim or shim out your bumper if you want absolutely no rubbing! If you trim it, you'll get a 35 on with a 0 offset 8.5" wheel with ease. Full lock, both directions, up driveways.... no worries no rubbing. You can trim without anyone even picking up what you did!
That edging looks pretty clean. I used paint on mine, but you can see the tape edge a little if you look close.

Most of my hard rubbing was in the back of the wheel well on the protective plastic edge. Trimming that is necessary for anything over 34 inches.

That edging looks pretty clean. I used paint on mine, but you can see the tape edge a little if you look close.

Most of my hard rubbing was in the back of the wheel well on the protective plastic edge. Trimming that is necessary for anything over 34 inches.

Thank you. Painted mine also but put edging on to just take up that little tiny space between the bumper and the liner on the inside! I think the 0 offset helped me in the back with the plastic in comparison to your -18. But I was so close I trimmed it in fear of articulating and tearing it off, lol! Thanks again for all your tips and pics on trimming, worked out great and loving the 35s.👍

Steve:

My Peak 2.25" kit is on order and I'm torn between 17 inch and 18 inch wheels.

I want the Method 305 wheel and Method tells me the 17 inch 0 offset version will fit, the 17 inch -12 will not fit.

That said, if I go 17 inch you and Axe confirmed that front bumper trim is required for 35s.

The Mickey Thompson BAJA A/T 35X12.5 R17 specifications claim "34.49" for overall diameter. Same tire in 295/70/R18 claims "34.53" overall diameter. Everything I have read says the 295/70/R18s fit without trimming the front.

So that makes me wonder why would the 17 inch not fit without trimming the front bumper? Clearly my ignorant old brain is missing something.

Thanks
Rick

Steve:

My Peak 2.25" kit is on order and I'm torn between 17 inch and 18 inch wheels.

I want the Method 305 wheel and Method tells me the 17 inch 0 offset version will fit, the 17 inch -12 will not fit.

That said, if I go 17 inch you and Axe confirmed that front bumper trim is required for 35s.

The Mickey Thompson BAJA A/T 35X12.5 R17 specifications claim "34.49" for overall diameter. Same tire in 295/70/R18 claims "34.53" overall diameter. Everything I have read says the 295/70/R18s fit without trimming the front.

So that makes me wonder why would the 17 inch not fit without trimming the front bumper? Clearly my ignorant old brain is missing something.

Thanks
Rick
Rick, you have to consider tire width and offset of the wheel. Stock wheels are +26 offset. As you move the offset closer to 0 or into negative offsets you are moving the wheel away from the truck. This makes the outer edge of the tire swing in closer to the bumper. I think alot of the folks running the 295/70/18 tires with no triming are doing so on stock wheels or wheels with close to stock offset. I have method 316's 17 x 8.5 with 0 offet on my truck and the biggest tire I could fit with out triming was 295/70/17. Thats a 33.3 x 12 and its as close to the front bumper as possible with out any rubbing.

Rick, you have to consider tire width and offset of the wheel. Stock wheels are +26 offset. As you move the offset closer to 0 or into negative offsets you are moving the wheel away from the truck. This makes the outer edge of the tire swing in closer to the bumper. I think alot of the folks running the 295/70/18 tires with no triming are doing so on stock wheels or wheels with close to stock offset. I have method 316's 17 x 8.5 with 0 offet on my truck and the biggest tire I could fit with out triming was 295/70/17. Thats a 33.3 x 12 and its as close to the front bumper as possible with out any rubbing.
Yep, I don't have the peak kit, but my -12 offset Method 305s and 295s were right up against the corner of the bumper and plastic protector along rear of wheel well. It's just asking for trouble.

I would just plan to get the wheels you want and do some trimming. I think you'll have more of an issue with the rear wheel well than bumper with a level kit. That plastic is easy to trim.

Thanks Aaron/Axe. Wish there was a detailed post like Axe put up for 17s.

Most Member Reactions

Back