1500 miles and it’s BROKEN. NOT A GOOD SIGN

Honestly this is a lot of the reason I went to a 6.6 gas. Crank bearings, torque converters, lifters, ect. Just seems like so many common problems with them. I just didn't really trust it as a long term vehicle. Ford and Dodge have their fair share of common problems too.

The HDs are excempt from a lot of the emissions stuff. No DFM, no auto stop/start. I think also since they aren't as concerned with weight and epa ratings. They are just built better. Brakes on my last HD were still good at 175k miles. The 1500s don't seem to last half that on a set. No screw on transmission filter. No transmission dip stick. I don't know if it's trying to meet emissions or if it's just cost cutting. But they seem lacking in a lot of ways.
My service advisor says many of his fleets have switched to gassers because of emissions issues, costs, and downtime.

Said one of his accounts put timers on trucks to kill them if idled more than 15 minutes and then it sends a message back to office so drivers can't let trucks run with AC blasting all day.

The 3.0 oil pump belt is a known maintenance item - it’s got a published 150k lifespan.

good info

That's why I thought it was interesting that he said they were replacing them before 100k. I am guessing it's mostly the earliest of trucks that were sold with that kind of mileage. He said it's only about $7k for the repair, so if you can save $1500 year on fuel it pencils out.
I’d have a hard time paying a dealer $7k to swap that belt…I know some solid mechanics that do quality work for much less, even this level of work

Reactions: AXE
I’d have a hard time paying a dealer $7k to swap that belt…I know some solid mechanics that do quality work for much less, even this level of work
I'd trade it and start over.

Might have to pull cab, which isn't uncommon anymore on a lot of vehicles.

Shop labor is $175/hr at dealers now. He said 38 hours = $6,650 + parts, materials, and taxes.

I've seen some YouTube videos on some of the issues with that motor, but didn't really study them. I think the belts and chains in first part of video is the issue he was referring to.

Last edited:
My service advisor says many of his fleets have switched to gassers because of emissions issues, costs, and downtime.

Said one of his accounts put timers on trucks to kill them if idled more than 15 minutes and then it sends a message back to office so drivers can't let trucks run with AC blasting all day.

Yeah, unfortunately the emissions systems kill modern diesels. I have a good friend that's a diesel tech. They have 20+ HD trucks in his fleet, plus various other equipment. He says anytime a truck goes down its almost always emissions related. Plus the extra heat and back pressure the DPF causes other problems and wear on the engines. The DPF is the only reason it's bad to idle them. Diesels actually love to idle.

I didn't even consider one this time 19-23s are 10k to delete and tune. Not an option yet for the 24s. Even if it was. Who is paying 90k+ for one, then another 10k to delete just to void the warranty? It cost me like 1500 to Delete and Tune my LML, lol

Yeah, unfortunately the emissions systems kill modern diesels. I have a good friend that's a diesel tech. They have 20+ HD trucks in his fleet, plus various other equipment. He says anytime a truck goes down its almost always emissions related. Plus the extra heat and back pressure the DPF causes other problems and wear on the engines. The DPF is the only reason it's bad to idle them. Diesels actually love to idle.

I didn't even consider one this time 19-23s are 10k to delete and tune. Not an option yet for the 24s. Even if it was. Who is paying 90k+ for one, then another 10k to delete just to void the warranty? It cost me like 1500 to Delete and Tune my LML, lol
My boy just called me and he's got a aervice DEF message on my previous Duramax.

He's been idling more in cold weather and short commute to work. I'm feeling like it's plugged DPF. Can't even get it into dealer for 10 days.

I've only had a DEF temp sensor and 9th injector replaced in last 9 years and its only got 85k miles. Overall, its been a really good truck.

So I have a new 2023 ZR2 with the 6.2 ltr. At low rpm it shakes. I believe it has something to do with AFM cylinder deactivation. If I drive in manual l9 it has no vibration or if I drive with tow haul mode again no vibration..
After tons of research this is common issue in which most just ignore..! Or don't care.. simply!
Well this is annoying as it gets!
GM is broken with zero resolve!
This the second defective vehicle in one year for me. The first this year was the 3.0 diesel version..
It had an exhaust leak into the cab which would made me ill. GM said they wouldn't fix and was normal.
Wow. After spending many thousands of dollars what did I just get myself into.
I hope not all are experiencing such bad results.
In my 2018 Colorado ZR2 I had the same issue. A Trifecta Performance tune fixed that issue. I’ve already looked for my new Silverado ZR2 and unfortunately they don’t have a tune for the 6.2L. :(

My boy just called me and he's got a aervice DEF message on my previous Duramax.

He's been idling more in cold weather and short commute to work. I'm feeling like it's plugged DPF. Can't even get it into dealer for 10 days.

I've only had a DEF temp sensor and 9th injector replaced in last 9 years and its only got 85k miles. Overall, its been a really good truck.

My buddy who bought mine was at my house with my old LML 2 days ago. 200k+miles no problems. I deleted it at 23k miles. Still have all the stock stuff hanging in the barn lol.

I'd trade it and start over.

Might have to pull cab, which isn't uncommon anymore on a lot of vehicles.

Shop labor is $175/hr at dealers now. He said 38 hours = $6,650 + parts, materials, and taxes.

I've seen some YouTube videos on some of the issues with that motor, but didn't really study them. I think the belts and chains in first part of video is the issue he was referring to.

I thought you were referring to the maintenance of that oil pump belt…which to me, while not ideal, seems a bit blown out of proportion. Actual critical failures, that’s definitely different and agree…I would start over.

I’ve still got the ‘05 LLY and LML for a reason…

Reactions: AXE
I thought you were referring to the maintenance of that oil pump belt…which to me, while not ideal, seems a bit blown out of proportion. Actual critical failures, that’s definitely different and agree…I would start over.

I’ve still got the ‘05 LLY and LML for a reason…
To be clear, he was referring to changing belt and chains. I just pasted that video cause it showed them. Gotta drop the transmission for sure. He said the motor is so packed into front nothing can be accessed. I've been using this dealer for over 25 years. They have some really good diesel techs, so I don't think he was BSing me about level of effort.

The whole conversation started with me telling him I was thinking about getting a 25 Tahoe with diesel for better fuel economy. He said how long do you keep them? I said 5 years or so, I'm usually out of them around 75k miles. He said you'll probably not see any of those issues under 80k.

I don't think it's a big deal or risk. If it happens, it happens.

The belt deal on the 3.0 is a known concern. Originally GM said it needed to be inspected at 150k miles. On the newer 3.0 I think they increased the inspection mark to 200k? Same belt. GM just said they were lasting longer than they thought. Who knows if it's that or if it was just cause they were catching a lot of heat for it. Changing just the belt isn't to terrible from what I remember. I think it was 3kish. Transmission does have to be dropped for sure. Its on the back side of the engine because of packaging reasons. Same reason why it's a belt and not a chain. Since it's on the cab side they used a belt to quiet down the engine. There is a couple good interviews with GM engineers on youtube about it. I watched them when I was shopping for my 2022.

Personally not for me. I drove a 3.0 AT4 back then and I didn't care for it. Felt sluggish to me. Has the typical turbo diesel feel with out the big finish. It does make torque down low though. For long road trips or pulling Medium loads, it's probably a good option for some. I looked at it like. Diesel fuel cost more, generally maintenance cost more. You get all the emission headaches with out the big power. Repairs will definitely cost more down the road. Seems like it's really directed at people chasing MPGs in big trucks and SUVs. When I'm looking for a truck, MPG usually isn't my main focus.

The belt deal on the 3.0 is a known concern. Originally GM said it needed to be inspected at 150k miles. On the newer 3.0 I think they increased the inspection mark to 200k? Same belt. GM just said they were lasting longer than they thought. Who knows if it's that or if it was just cause they were catching a lot of heat for it. Changing just the belt isn't to terrible from what I remember. I think it was 3kish. Transmission does have to be dropped for sure. Its on the back side of the engine because of packaging reasons. Same reason why it's a belt and not a chain. Since it's on the cab side they used a belt to quiet down the engine. There is a couple good interviews with GM engineers on youtube about it. I watched them when I was shopping for my 2022.

Personally not for me. I drove a 3.0 AT4 back then and I didn't care for it. Felt sluggish to me. Has the typical turbo diesel feel with out the big finish. It does make torque down low though. For long road trips or pulling Medium loads, it's probably a good option for some. I looked at it like. Diesel fuel cost more, generally maintenance cost more. You get all the emission headaches with out the big power. Repairs will definitely cost more down the road. Seems like it's really directed at people chasing MPGs in big trucks and SUVs. When I'm looking for a truck, MPG usually isn't my main focus.
This is what I was referencing as well. Oil pump belt, it’s simply a known “deal”…it’s not a $7k deal, 25 years at a dealer or not, I simply wouldn’t pay that to swap that belt…tranny drop and all. Now, you start expanding past that belt on repairs, I get it, anything adds up anymore and this engine is shoe horned in there for sure.

I went from the ‘22 zr2 with the 6.2 to the ‘24 with the 3.0 lzo duramax knowing all about this and having watched quite a few videos on it. So far, I’m loving this truck and not losing sleep over that belt…is what it is, like the lifters or emissions garbage, gotta pay to play in the end one way or another. I’m used to driving diesels and their driving characteristics which I’m sure helps, if you aren’t and expect 0-60 performance, it’s likely not for you ….the fuel range is the big win for me.

one thing I really appreciate about the zr2 vs similar competitor offerings is they are giving us options. Colorado, 1500 and 2500, gas and diesel, etc. pretty good stuff when you really think about it. We all got different interests, needs, wants, etc

I will be driving my 1500 to the dealer today to pick up my 2500. Gonna leave 1500 there for repairs. When the 2500 needs more repairs I'm gonna go pick up the 1500. Just gonna rotate them at the dealer. No hassles getting a ride that way.

I told my wife I didn't need a ride back to dealer. She looked at me and said they are both new trucks, why are you having so many problems already. I said cause GMs posting record profits and doing historical stock buybacks.......she didn't get the joke!

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back