4WD System

ZR2 DMAX

Reaction score
Hey all,

Still awaiting my order to be accepted by GM, but I came across this article: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a39850302/chevy-silverado-zr2-4wd-off-mystery/

Is the 4WD system something to be concerned about? It seems like the 4WD system is more of a part time (similar to AWD) system than I had previously thought. Is what happened in the article just the perfect storm to stop the system from functioning properly, or is it something to look out for? Thanks!

Seems like a rare occurrence and knowing how the truck is designed might help avoid the issue.

They make these trucks so sophisticated it takes all the fun out of being a good driver and knowing how to run offroad.

Hey all,

Still awaiting my order to be accepted by GM, but I came across this article: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a39850302/chevy-silverado-zr2-4wd-off-mystery/

Is the 4WD system something to be concerned about? It seems like the 4WD system is more of a part time (similar to AWD) system than I had previously thought. Is what happened in the article just the perfect storm to stop the system from functioning properly, or is it something to look out for? Thanks!
You might be way better off finding what you want versus waiting for your order to be accepted. Based on your dealers allocation, it could be months and months before that order is accepted.

I read the article and honestly that just seems like driver error. If you have a auto 4wd system. Obviously there has to be a clutch. Holding the throttle over half way, while holding the brake with everything locked in is a bad idea. I'm assuming the cut out is there to keep you from burning up the clutch. The whole reason for terrain mode is to keep you from having to ride both pedals in those type of situations.

Lots of videos online of these trucks off-roading. They do quite well. The drive modes are just something you need to understand. It's no different than knowing when and how to use 4wd low vs high. You should learn when to use terrain mode vs off road. Same goes for the lockers. Front lockers only work in 4wd low and should not be used on pavement at all.

Hey all,

i read the article....driver is a knudnick!!

I read the article and honestly that just seems like driver error. If you have a auto 4wd system. Obviously there has to be a clutch. Holding the throttle over half way, while holding the brake with everything locked in is a bad idea. I'm assuming the cut out is there to keep you from burning up the clutch. The whole reason for terrain mode is to keep you from having to ride both pedals in those type of situations.

Lots of videos online of these trucks off-roading. They do quite well. The drive modes are just something you need to understand. It's no different than knowing when and how to use 4wd low vs high. You should learn when to use terrain mode vs off road. Same goes for the lockers. Front lockers only work in 4wd low and should not be used on pavement at all.
Exactly my thoughts. 50% throttle while braking seems like a dumb idea and certainly not needed to off-road.

Exactly my thoughts. 50% throttle while braking seems like a dumb idea and certainly not needed to off-road.
Exactly I've done a bunch of off-roading, mostly in SXS though. Plenty of times you have to two pedal drive in rocks because they don't have any one pedal drive mode. But you aren't pinning the throttle while on the brake. You left off the brake as you give it gas and vice versa. You are just trying to keep from rolling back when letting off the gas.

Sounds like he was just on the gas and was using the brake to control is speed and wheel spin. That just isn't the way, lol. In a sxs he would smoke a belt very quickly. Or in a Honda he would destroy the clutch just as fast. I'm Sure if that ZR2 didn't have that safety, he would have smoked that transfer case.

Lol the article comments calling ZR2 Silverado a poser offroader compared to the TRX and Raptor because of this driver's experience. One commenter said:

"So... they designed a truck for people who want to "look like" they really go offroad. But when you take the truck to actually do some serious off-roading it stops and fails. (according to the forums of actual owners) This is the exact opposite of the TRX, Raptor, Wrangler, the TRD Pro twins and Braptor. Those vehicles are ACTUALLY designed to go off-road. In other words, buy this truck if you want to do mild to moderate off-roading. If you want to do hard and hardcore offroading.... look elsewhere."

So who on the forum has this guy been talking to? :ROFLMAO:

Lol the article comments calling ZR2 Silverado a poser offroader compared to the TRX and Raptor because of this driver's experience. One commenter said:

"So... they designed a truck for people who want to "look like" they really go offroad. But when you take the truck to actually do some serious off-roading it stops and fails. (according to the forums of actual owners) This is the exact opposite of the TRX, Raptor, Wrangler, the TRD Pro twins and Braptor. Those vehicles are ACTUALLY designed to go off-road. In other words, buy this truck if you want to do mild to moderate off-roading. If you want to do hard and hardcore offroading.... look elsewhere."

Everything I've ever read says the ZR2 is an extremely capable off roader. Gotta love the internet and folks that like to think they know what they're talking about that don't have a clue ;)

I would argue the ZR2 is a better trail off-roader than the TRX and Raptor. Those are designed for high speed baja and don't have great approach or departure angles and are too wide for a lot of trails.

i will be first to admit i didnt get my truck to offroad. i got it to haul quads to the country and get there quickly and in comfort. i have had the opportunity to go thru mud and the occassional washed out road and the ZR2 didnt blink!!! since joining this forum, i have learned one thing.....you guys have beat the shit and modded the ZR2 to a wreckless abandon all while laughing and enjoying every minute. i really get a kick seeing everyones personality thru their rigs. in some cases i think some of you may be nuts!!! i admire member moxy!!!! that wanna be writer of the article is a fraud and no doubt a fancy lad. FU!!!! my 2 cents.

That's what it's made for and that why I bought it. Like a rock! Loving every minute!

Attachments

• 20231213_141636.jpg
    20231213_141636.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231213_141449.jpg
    20231213_141449.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20231213_140940.jpg
    20231213_140940.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20231213_140312.jpg
    20231213_140312.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20231213_135605.jpg
    20231213_135605.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 55
My truck has been in all kinds of "non-fullsize vehicle" predicaments where I pushed the truck and have had no problems keeping up with modded Jeeps. No problems at all with traction or articulation.

The only complaint I have for GM is the tire size.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231124_203934_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231124_203934_Gallery.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20231021_105004.jpg
    20231021_105004.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20231021_104949.jpg
    20231021_104949.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20230924_230659_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_230659_Gallery.jpg