6.2 Lifter Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 103 90.4%

• Total voters
The range chip simply plugs into the port, if you take into the dealer you just pull it out. everything resumes it's normal function.

The service manager at my dealership said if you left it in he'd ignore it because it reduces problems it doesn't cause them.

The range chip simply plugs into the port, if you take into the dealer you just pull it out. everything resumes it's normal function.

The service manager at my dealership said if you left it in he'd ignore it because it reduces problems it doesn't cause them.
Saves him potential 12000 dollar plus rebuild.
Plus gm depreciation payments and loaner car as they fix your vehicle under Warranty. AFM was only created because the fed BS guidelines.

is that 100% confirmed or internet rumor????
I dont know how to do links but watched some videos that actively monitored electrical signals and they claimed confirmed. L10 acts same as drive.
Highway down hill and low wind days I can see some gains. I don't know about all this 4 cylinder hesitation recourse, I never felt any of that on a 8 speed 3.42 rear end. I cant vouch for new ten speeds, I think AFM has its purpose on warranty vehicle . AFM delete to me is another cold air intake snake oil, unless you going for style and looks. I had about 120000 miles on my 6.2 rigs. just adding opinion based on my experience good and bad with AFM 😀

The AFM lifter problems are real. but probably not as bad as the internet would have you believe.

There is an argument to be made that if you can get better MPG with it why disable it as long as it's on warranty? my reason is I don't want the inconvenience of a breakdown even if I'm not paying for it.

During the chip shortage, they shipped quite a few with AFM disabled. I remember reading where they had to update all those trucks MPG ratings as well…they were rated 1 MPG lower. In the end, IF that rating was accurate, I wonder if the additional manufacturing costs, MSRP increased costs, parts, issues, replacement parts, etc is worth the 1 mpg over the life of the majority of trucks. At least whether it’s worth it to the end user IF that’s an accurate estimate. I get it may help GM with their fleet mpg averages but be interesting for the average end user.

During the chip shortage, they shipped quite a few with AFM disabled. I remember reading where they had to update all those trucks MPG ratings as well…they were rated 1 MPG lower. In the end, IF that rating was accurate, I wonder if the additional manufacturing costs, MSRP increased costs, parts, issues, replacement parts, etc is worth the 1 mpg over the life of the majority of trucks. At least whether it’s worth it to the end user IF that’s an accurate estimate. I get it may help GM with their fleet mpg averages but be interesting for the average end user.
Its a federal guide line from the Obama years. like cars supposed to hit 45 mpg avg by 2025. Ford appeared to go v6 turbo, Chevy v8 AFM systems, its like all the new Def BS in Diesel that lowers emission but reduces milage. So whats really being saved. Lithium mining and power plants outside past your view is how many Ev owners justify the green in it. Lol. Just a friendly rant. 😃

Attachments

• IMG_4908.jpeg
    IMG_4908.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4909.jpeg
    IMG_4909.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 3
Its a federal guide line from the Obama years. like cars supposed to hit 45 mpg avg by 2025. Ford appeared to go v6 turbo, Chevy v8 AFM systems, its like all the new Def BS in Diesel that lowers emission but reduces milage. So whats really being saved. Lithium mining and power plants outside past your view is how many Ev owners justify the green in it. Lol. Just a friendly rant. 😃
Yep, completely agree…in the end, I personally don’t think this system saves anything…

Don’t get me started on diesel emissions 😅 - there are tremendously bigger fish to fry than personal diesel trucks if they truly wanted to make an impact

I run a little bit of everything. I did a couple of 1500 mile trips last year and I found that L8 sometimes gave me better performance and mileage when running highway speeds, especially where you have variable terrain or head/crosswinds. You don't get any variation in rpms, as it seems to stay locked in.

AFM never resulted in problems until 125-150k+ miles. Now DFM cause problems inside 20k.........what changed........hmmmmm........nothing except you're dropping different cylinders........the problem is not AFM or DFM, the problem is they did a poor job of designing and manufacturing a system that is reliable. They have admitted it at least twice in the last 5 years, but still haven't been able to fix it.

These motors should run 10 years and 150k with no problems......why......because that standard was set 2 decades ago. Now there are people with bad motors at 5k, 8k, 10k, 12k, 15k, etc.

Range Technologies may help with longevity if you keep vehicles a long time, but it won't solve the inherent problems we are seeing today. GM has to fix that problem. Right now they are doing one offs at their liesure and the customer gets the green weenie!

Good luck!

Last edited:
that is confirmed. my friend has a 5.3 trail boss eith DFM delete. he is aware im pissed.

I run a little bit of everything. I did a couple of 1500 mile trips last year and I found that L8 sometimes gave me better performance and mileage when running highway speeds, especially where you have variable terrain or head/crosswinds. You don't get any variation in rpms, as it seems to stay locked in.

AFM never resulted in problems until 125-150k+ miles. Now DFM cause problems inside 20k.........what changed........hmmmmm........nothing except you're dropping different cylinders........the problem is not AFM or DFM, the problem is they did a poor job of designing and manufacturing a system that is reliable. They have admitted it at least twice in the last 5 years, but still haven't been able to fix it.

These motors should run 10 years and 150k with no problems......why......because that standard was set 2 decades ago. Now there are people with bad motors at 5k, 8k, 10k, 12k, 15k, etc.

Range Technologies may help with longevity if you keep vehicles a long time, but it won't solve the inherent problems we are seeing today. GM has to fix that problem. Right now they are doing one offs at their liesure and the customer gets the green weenie!

Good luck!
im not sure i like L8 with higher revs and never tried it. im gonna give it a shot.

Reactions: AXE
My best friend had to do the valves last year and he has a 2015 (son is getting it) with the 6.2. Yesterday I went and negotiated this for him (I do a lot of business there). No more 6.2 he learned his lesson. Went with the baby Duramax on his 1500 ZR2. Was able to get it for less than my Supplier Price was. They had a bunch of 1500 Gas ZR2's 32 and most were being discounted nicely but only 4 oil burners. The new engine this year is very popular and even the largest Chevrolet in the world has issues getting enough of them. They even have a nice supply of C8's.

Attachments

• 20240502_180512[1].jpg
    20240502_180512[1].jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 13
@Busa Dave , pretty sure I test drove your truck, wanted to see the new LZO, liked it so much I orders one.
Your right they have a lot but all Bisons, don’t know why they haven’t ordered more oil burners

Most Member Reactions

Back