6.2L Engine replacement

DansZR2LV

Reaction score
At 12,082 miles, the engine in my 2022 Silverado needs to be replaced. My local Chevy dealer isn’t telling me much so I’m reaching out to the ZR2 community to see if this is a known issue and what the specific failure might be.
I was driving on the local freeway at about 70mph and it was as though someone flipped off a switch to the engine. It immediately went into neutral and I coasted over to the shoulder. When the vehicle stopped it went into park.
After I tried to restart the engine, the Driver Info Screen just went black and nothing happened. The biggest drawback to these electronic shifters is it is impossible to get the vehicle into neutral and it had to be dragged onto a flatbed truck to move it to the dealer.
Two days later, the service rep called and said a new engine would be needed. As of now, it should be ready tomorrow.

Could be a lifter, But typically you get codes than knocking, ect. With it running fine and than just turning off like a light switch could be something else. I'd be curious what they say. Plus side getting a whole new engine is about the best case. Seems like the guys that have a lifter failure and just get new lifters. Often end up back in the shop sooner or later. Few videos online from mechanics explaining why they really should be going further into the motor more after a lifter failure. Lot's of other stuff can be out of spec in the engine and just swapping a lifter bank isn't really a proper long term fix. I've wondered if noticed a knock one day. If it would be a shut down and call a tow instantly or "find" a proper place to shut it off at 😅

Reactions: AXE
I had a 6.2 on my 2020 Silverado LTZ that the main crank bearing went out at 32,000 miles and needed the engine replaced. Took 6 weeks and the dealer gave me a brand new High Country to use in those 6 weeks. Thankfully it was all covered under warranty and the new engine was covered to 100,000 miles. Thankfully also this was my work truck and not my own. They replaced the engine, radiator, and oil cooler too.

What was the out come if you wouldn’t mind sharing I’m going through this now with the oil pan but am wondering what the next steps will be

MY 2022 ZR2 6.2L motor is making metal and getting replaced at 26,278 miles!

The Warranty replacement but motor is 6 to 8 weeks out. (it's been at the dealership for 2 weeks already). It all started with the auto shut off feature turned the motor off at a stop light. When the light turned green, I went to go and immediately started making a ticking sound which got worse (no check engine light ever came on).

This is not acceptable, I'm very disappointed I just bought this truck in February 2024 with 21,875 miles.

I just had my check engine light go on. Luckily, nothing shut off and I was able to drive it home 30 miles. I made an appointment and they found a bad fuel pump control module. I have 11K miles on the truck.

I was leary about driving it but the dealer said that if the check engine light is solid, it's okay to drive. If it's blinking, dont drive it. Anyone heard this before???

I just had my check engine light go on. Luckily, nothing shut off and I was able to drive it home 30 miles. I made an appointment and they found a bad fuel pump control module. I have 11K miles on the truck.

I was leary about driving it but the dealer said that if the check engine light is solid, it's okay to drive. If it's blinking, dont drive it. Anyone heard this before???
Yes. It happened to me on my 23 HC 6.2. Dealer replaced my engine and I've had 0 issues since then. Over 10k on the new engine now

MY 2022 ZR2 6.2L motor is making metal and getting replaced at 26,278 miles!

The Warranty replacement but motor is 6 to 8 weeks out. (it's been at the dealership for 2 weeks already). It all started with the auto shut off feature turned the motor off at a stop light. When the light turned green, I went to go and immediately started making a ticking sound which got worse (no check engine light ever came on).

This is not acceptable, I'm very disappointed I just bought this truck in February 2024 with 21,875 miles.
I just got my truck back after a month and half total engine was 2 weeks out and roughly 2 days to install. Hope it goes smoothly for you.

I just got my truck back after a month and half total engine was 2 weeks out and roughly 2 days to install. Hope it goes smoothly for you.
What happened to it? So much chatter about lifters and the DFM delete will solve everyone’s problems but total engine replacements seem to be a bigger deal? Any insight for other members would be appreciated.

What happened to it? So much chatter about lifters and the DFM delete will solve everyone’s problems but total engine replacements seem to be a bigger deal? Any insight for other members would be appreciated.
At this point is is less lifters and more bad bearings being installed into 6.2s produced from 22MY to early 24MY. According to a source I have, about 10,000 bad bearings made it into the L87 production supply and GM is choosing to do warranty work on those engines instead of issuing a recall.

Look at the AT4 forums you will see a slew of people with bearing failure on their 6.2 powered 1500/Yukon. Spun bearings cause metal to go through the entire engine in large amounts, rather than risk not being able to clear out the contamination, GM is replacing the engines outright.

At this point is is less lifters and more bad bearings being installed into 6.2s produced from 22MY to early 24MY. According to a source I have, about 10,000 bad bearings made it into the L87 production supply and GM is choosing to do warranty work on those engines instead of issuing a recall.

Look at the AT4 forums you will see a slew of people with bearing failure on their 6.2 powered 1500/Yukon. Spun bearings cause metal to go through the entire engine in large amounts, rather than risk not being able to clear out the contamination, GM is replacing the engines outright.
Yeah, I was aware of the bearings in general as well, was curious if something else happened here as well. Appreciate you providing more insight into the bearing issues for others. To your point, DFM delete won’t solve spun bearings sending metal through the motor. Sucks one of the last “American v8’s” continued to have noteworthy problems.

What hurts my soul more than the last V8 context on this is the fact that we now live, more than ever, in a lowest bidder society. Disposable consumption is the norm. Feels like nothing you can purchase these days is built to last without spending 5x and even then…

Yeah, I was aware of the bearings in general as well, was curious if something else happened here as well. Appreciate you providing more insight into the bearing issues for others. To your point, DFM delete won’t solve spun bearings sending metal through the motor. Sucks one of the last “American v8’s” continued to have noteworthy problems.
At this point any lifter/dfm issue seems to be massively overshadowed by the bearing issue. Most dealers I have talked to have seen tons of spun bearings compared to collapsed lifters

Main crank and con rod bearing failures have been widely reported. Not sure there was any mystery there.

I've done more frequent oil changes and oil analysis on the two I own and feel I got a pretty low risk right now based upon the data I have and inspecting the oil/ filters myself.

If bearings are showing excessive wear, it'll show in the oil analysis (copper). Bearings aren't likely going quickly, so you would at least have a chance to make a decision to trade/sell or get a back up plan together when your motor smokes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240419_183606_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_183606_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240429_162400_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_162400_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

They can't recall what they don't know. Their quality control is so horrible they have no idea which parts bin they grabbed the bearings from or if it was even the same supplier.

I can guarantee you they can tell you every demographic about whom they employ and what their "DEI" and "ESG" score is by the hour.

Thanks GM you miserable bastards!

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back