Bumper Assistance

BaneZR2

Reaction score
Any thoughts on how I can make this RC Hidden Winch/Bumper work on the ZR2? I'm not a welder, but want to repurpose my investment as much as possible. Had it on the 20' Black Widow for a week before it was totaled by the insurance company.

IMG_8805.jpeg
IMG_8159.jpeg

This front clip is really complicated with many different pieces and attachment points.

i would sell it and buy an AEV bumper with a winch.

Last edited:
This front clip is really complicated with many different pieces and attachment points.

i would sell it and buy an AEV bumper with a winch.
Yeah, looking like I may have to take an L on this. I don't like the AEV bumper. Looks like an old Delta 88' to me.

Yeah, looking like I may have to take an L on this. I don't like the AEV bumper. Looks like an old Delta 88' to me.
I don't know if I like it on the 1500 ZR2 as well, but I don'thate it.

But I ordered it on my HD ZR2 cause I think l it looks better on that rig.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230822_210538_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230822_210538_Chrome.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 62
Is there something behind the bumper to mount a piece of tubing as a receiver? Then pop a hole behind your license plate and that would be access for a receiver mounted winch that you could slide in when needed. And could use the winch in the rear receiver when needed. That kinda what im going to look. I might have to weld some brackets behind there maybe if there is nothing solid.

The difficult part is finding a good spot for the second battery to power the winch....

Reactions: AXE
Not sure this helps, but here's what it looks like underneath with the front fascia removed. I did this to Line-x the gray fascia below bumper.

You can see the frame mounts for the tow hooks. Pretty sure you could mount something there and make it stout. but then you have to cut bumper or fascia to get it out front where it's accessible.

Just pulling that fascia was a project. Might be better to pull the front clip off truck in one piece of your doing some serious fab work.

Attachments

• 20230618_165203.jpg
    20230618_165203.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230618_140718.jpg
    20230618_140718.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Could mount a bar in there under the tow hook brackets and then weld a receiver to it so it lines up with license plate maybe like this. But I totally forgot about the skid plate, so this idea wont work anyway. There no way to get underneath and pin the winch into the receiver. Oh well. I guess an integrated bumper like on the AEV might be the only option.

1695213362416.png

Could mount a bar in there under the tow hook brackets and then weld a receiver to it so it lines up with license plate maybe like this. But I totally forgot about the skid plate, so this idea wont work anyway. There no way to get underneath and pin the winch into the receiver. Oh well. I guess an integrated bumper like on the AEV might be the only option.

View attachment 7112
Thanks for the insight. The winch is a direct fit, but I’ll have to cut up the metal bumper and the lose the OEM fog lights if I use the RC set up. Trying to maximize current investments.

@BaneZR2 Did you make any headway with your attempt at getting a winch mounted to the front of your ZR2?

@FlyZR2 No, been super busy with work. The RC set can work, but I need a skilled body shop to recess the bumper cover and close out the ends.

@FlyZR2 No, been super busy with work. The RC set can work, but I need a skilled body shop to recess the bumper cover and close out the ends.
Can't wait to see the finished product. I have asked probably 8 places local for me. If they are up to the challenge of creative fab work to do a custom hidden winch setup. So, far none want to take up the challenge!

Can't wait to see the finished product. I have asked probably 8 places local for me. If they are up to the challenge of creative fab work to do a custom hidden winch setup. So, far none want to take up the challenge!
Let's keep one another posted. Heck, if there is a willing shop they can get a 2 for 1.

Most Member Reactions

Back