Dash Cam and Radar Detector Installation

The_Q

Founding Member
Reaction score

WILWAXU

Reaction score
Looks like a great option for someone like me who doesn’t feel like wiring up and I’ll only be using a V1 no dash cam. I’ll be ordering one.

Does the plastic around the mirror come off easily?
Yes, extremely easy. Unsnap the center piece, then unsnap the outer. Plug in the harness, and snap it back together.

securityguy

Reaction score
What issues have you seen with OnStar? Are you talking about the Gen5DIY harness, or with some accessory?
Most all of the companies that make these "cheat" devices state that all vehicles equipped with On-Star can interfere with the On-Star functioning correctly. I do not have the engineering reasons as to why. However, as a professional installer, I always tell people, On-Star or not, go to the fuse box and stay AWAY from mirror tapping. The fuse box is super easy to access and a far better choice.

The mirror tap is also $60. A fuse tap is like $5.

WILWAXU

Reaction score
Most all of the companies that make these "cheat" devices state that all vehicles equipped with On-Star can interfere with the On-Star functioning correctly. I do not have the engineering reasons as to why. However, as a professional installer, I always tell people, On-Star or not, go to the fuse box and stay AWAY from mirror tapping. The fuse box is super easy to access and a far better choice.

The mirror tap is also $60. A fuse tap is like $5.
I've been using Gen5DIY stuff for years on multiple cars with zero issues. They are plug in harness' using gm style clips, considerably different than a simple mirror tap.

Most Member Reactions