Dash Cam and Radar Detector Installation

Looks like a great option for someone like me who doesn’t feel like wiring up and I’ll only be using a V1 no dash cam. I’ll be ordering one.

Does the plastic around the mirror come off easily?
Yes, extremely easy. Unsnap the center piece, then unsnap the outer. Plug in the harness, and snap it back together.

What issues have you seen with OnStar? Are you talking about the Gen5DIY harness, or with some accessory?
Most all of the companies that make these "cheat" devices state that all vehicles equipped with On-Star can interfere with the On-Star functioning correctly. I do not have the engineering reasons as to why. However, as a professional installer, I always tell people, On-Star or not, go to the fuse box and stay AWAY from mirror tapping. The fuse box is super easy to access and a far better choice.

The mirror tap is also $60. A fuse tap is like $5.

Most all of the companies that make these "cheat" devices state that all vehicles equipped with On-Star can interfere with the On-Star functioning correctly. I do not have the engineering reasons as to why. However, as a professional installer, I always tell people, On-Star or not, go to the fuse box and stay AWAY from mirror tapping. The fuse box is super easy to access and a far better choice.

The mirror tap is also $60. A fuse tap is like $5.
I've been using Gen5DIY stuff for years on multiple cars with zero issues. They are plug in harness' using gm style clips, considerably different than a simple mirror tap.

Just installed my gen5diy adapter today. It’s a very high quality plug and was super easy to install. I’m very happy with it so far!

I'd actually have to look. It's been a few months. It was on the lower right from what I remember. It doesn't pull much power, I think it was fused at maybe 3 amps. Constant power source is easy in that panel. Keyed power there is only the USB fuse for the charging points. I wanted mine to record while parked though.
My old truck it was connected to keyed power so I didn't have the ability to use park mode. With the rear facing camera, I really wanted it recording when parked since I carry tools in the bed and pull trailers regularly. we also go kayaking some. So we leave the truck at ramps and bridges. Basically acts like a surveillance camera when away from the truck. The draw on the battery hasn't been noticeable, but my truck doesn't normally sit more then a day or two at a time.
Looking for a way to make the USB chargers ports on the 2023 ZR2 hot all the time to be able to charge an appliance I need to keep in my vehicle any suggestions?

Looking for a way to make the USB chargers ports on the 2023 ZR2 hot all the time to be able to charge an appliance I need to keep in my vehicle any suggestions?
Don't hold your breathe...I don't think you'll be able to do it. However, you can install additional USB ports that can be hot all of the time by going aftermarket and tying them into your passenger side fuse panel that provides 12VDC battery power.

On my 21 trail boss you only had to move a 50 amp fuse on the passenger side panel. Here’s a link to the only video I can find but it should still be the same in the 22 or 23. The panel looks exactly the same in my 22. I haven’t tried it yet with my current zr2.

On my 21 trail boss you only had to move a 50 amp fuse on the passenger side panel. Here’s a link to the only video I can find but it should still be the same in the 22 or 23. The panel looks exactly the same in my 22. I haven’t tried it yet with my current zr2.
That’s the cigarette lighter plug, not the USB ports. I would be pleasantly surprised if this existed for USB.

That’s the cigarette lighter plug, not the USB ports. I would be pleasantly surprised if this existed for USB.
I wonder if it will power one of the USB ports since they removed the cigg lighter? I haven’t tried it yet.

I believe the dash mounted USB ports are powered off the radio. Let us know what happens after you try it.

I wonder if it will power one of the USB ports since they removed the cigg lighter? I haven’t tried it yet.
Yeah they removed the pin so it doesn’t do anything any more :/

Attachments

• 085668F9-BFE8-4902-8B36-E9DDCCC7021F.jpeg
    085668F9-BFE8-4902-8B36-E9DDCCC7021F.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 60
Just completed the installation of my Blackvue DR750X Plus 2CH dash camera and my Uniden R8 radar detector on a Blendmount. As OEM as I can get it. Cut a notch in the bottom left of the mirror shroud and routed all wiring through the shroud and into the headliner. Came down the passenger A-pillar to the fuse panel. Rear camera was routed across the headliner with the cable secured BEHIND all airbags. All I am waiting on now are my fuse taps to tie them in for power. Very happy with how it turned out. Happy to help anyone that has interest in doing this as well. I have been installing electronics into vehicles since I was 14 years old. Happy New Year everyone!

View attachment 1418
View attachment 1419
View attachment 1420
View attachment 1421
View attachment 1422
View attachment 1423
I have a 2023 Silverado I am looking to install a Blackvue B-130X battery in. I have been having trouble locating a good fuse to tap into for the battery. Could you give me some advice?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a 2023 Silverado I am looking to install a Blackvue B-130X battery in. I have been having trouble locating a good fuse to tap into for the battery. Could you give me some advice?
Happy to help. On a biz trip and don’t get home until Sunday. I’ll find the fuse I used and let you know.

Most Member Reactions

Back