Electronic Shifter

dvire

Founding Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to shift out of park if either the battery is dead or you have run out of gas and cannot start the truck (both of which I have done, unfortunately)? When it runs out of gas the screen says "conditions are not correct for shift" and obviously when the battery is dead it does nothing. I haven't been able to find it in the manual or online to override the shifting in order to put it in neutral to move the truck. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know how to shift out of park if either the battery is dead or you have run out of gas and cannot start the truck (both of which I have done, unfortunately)? When it runs out of gas the screen says "conditions are not correct for shift" and obviously when the battery is dead it does nothing. I haven't been able to find it in the manual or online to override the shifting in order to put it in neutral to move the truck. Thanks in advance!
Appears you cannot release the parking brake or shift into neutral with a dead battery. Page 411 (Link to Manual)

1684285457433.png

You need a special tool to put the truck in neutral with a dead battery.
DT-52910 Manual Park Release Tool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231023_034418_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023_034418_Chrome.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 413
  • e669a40b-f5f5-447d-8085-dd500a5a33cf_Park_release (1).pdf
    375.9 KB · Views: 230
I think it's a bit ridiculous you can't shift the truck into neutral without starting it. No power I get. But even with power you can't without the engine running.

I haven't had a problem yet, but knowing I have no way to push or pull my truck off the road if it is disabled bothers me a lot. Especially on a "off road" vehicle. Who hasn't towed someone to a trail head before? A wrecker ain't getting to you if you are actually off road.

I think it's a bit ridiculous you can't shift the truck into neutral without starting it. No power I get. But even with power you can't without the engine running.

I haven't had a problem yet, but knowing I have no way to push or pull my truck off the road if it is disabled bothers me a lot. Especially on a "off road" vehicle. Who hasn't towed someone to a trail head before? A wrecker ain't getting to you if you are actually off road.
If you turn the truck electronics “on” by holding the start button but not the depressing the brake (old school turning key to first position 😅), you still can’t get it into neutral?

not good....my dodge ram had a cap you would pull out near shifter, insert key pressing down to move to nuetral.

If you turn the truck electronics “on” by holding the start button but not the depressing the brake (old school turning key to first position 😅), you still can’t get it into neutral?
Nope, I tried this a while ago. The truck just says conditions not right to shift. Or something along those lines. Try to put your truck into neutral without actually cranking the engine. It will not let you. So if your engine won't start for any reason the truck isn't moving. So just running out of gas, could turn into a big problem.

Leave it to GM to not only require a special tool, but one that needs to be installed while the truck is on a lift or jack.

Super convenient if you break down.

Leave it to GM to not only require a special tool, but one that needs to be installed while the truck is on a lift or jack.

Super convenient if you break down.
Yep, I complain about the electronic shifter a lot, lol. A lot of people don't think it's a big deal, But it was to me. Heck I park in a garage with a 7 foot door. If I were to walk out to start the truck and it was DOA. HTH is it getting towed? I can't just push it out. Not really room to jack it up and put dollies under the tires. I guess you could just drag it out and hope you can miss the sides? Dies on a trail, how are you supposed to tow it to the trail head or load it on a trailer? Just seems like a stupid oversight by GM for a truck, Especially one built for going off road. Off road truck you can't flat tow if it won't start.. Makes zero sense.

I have been playing with getting the transfer case in Neutral, with engine off, ignition in Diagnostic mode, pressing the 2High button 5 times in less than 10 seconds does start the shift to Neutral, but so far I have not been able to get it to complete the shift. It seems if this can be figured out that with a jump pack on a dead battery, or just an engine that can't/wont start, maybe there is a way to get it to roll. GM needs to make this work so we have some way to get the truck to roll.

Reactions: AXE
I have been playing with getting the transfer case in Neutral, with engine off, ignition in Diagnostic mode, pressing the 2High button 5 times in less than 10 seconds does start the shift to Neutral, but so far I have not been able to get it to complete the shift. It seems if this can be figured out that with a jump pack on a dead battery, or just an engine that can't/wont start, maybe there is a way to get it to roll. GM needs to make this work so we have some way to get the truck to roll.
Is any of the stuff in the owners manual??????

You know it's "nice" and different having the electronic shifter but as with all electronics, once power is lost, nothing can be done without the proper tool which is on your dime, a computer and so on....I wish they left the shifter mechanical so trail runners, rock crawlers and garaged trucks wouldn't get screwed if the power does cut off. GM should have thought about this prior to releasing it to the public. Anyone know how we can get this info out to GM to work on a fix? I know it's a long shot but if all of us in the group contact them, I'm hoping it will raise someone's eyebrow

You know it's "nice" and different having the electronic shifter but as with all electronics, once power is lost, nothing can be done without the proper tool which is on your dime, a computer and so on....I wish they left the shifter mechanical so trail runners, rock crawlers and garaged trucks wouldn't get screwed if the power does cut off. GM should have thought about this prior to releasing it to the public. Anyone know how we can get this info out to GM to work on a fix? I know it's a long shot but if all of us in the group contact them, I'm hoping it will raise someone's eyebrow
So my problem with it wasn't that when you lose power you can't shift to neutral. I mean that does suck and you would think a manual release would be somewhere. My gripe is even with power you can't shift with out actually starting the engine. I would think they could fix that with a software update. No reason not to be able to turn the ignition on and be able to shift into neutral, like any other vehicle. Hell my lawnmower has a manual release so you can move it if it wont start.

As it is now you can't go into neutral if you just run out of gas on the highway, lol. If you have a dead battery, ect. It's not that big of a deal to hook up a jump pack or even a different battery so you can at least get the truck into neutral. A manual release would have been best. But at least allow it to shift with power with out the engine running. Just watch a wrecker having to load one of these. It's just dumb. GM even states they aren't responsible for any damage done to the vehicle if it is dragged, lol. Hey let's make it where they pretty much have to be dragged in some situations, But make sure they know we aren't responsible for it being dragged in gear. Let's make a off road vehicle, almost impossible to recover in lots of off road situations. A roll back ain't getting to most places that are actually off road.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back