Electronic Shifter

So my problem with it wasn't that when you lose power you can't shift to neutral. I mean that does suck and you would think a manual release would be somewhere. My gripe is even with power you can't shift with out actually starting the engine. I would think they could fix that with a software update. No reason not to be able to turn the ignition on and be able to shift into neutral, like any other vehicle. Hell my lawnmower has a manual release so you can move it if it wont start.

As it is now you can't go into neutral if you just run out of gas on the highway, lol. If you have a dead battery, ect. It's not that big of a deal to hook up a jump pack or even a different battery so you can at least get the truck into neutral. A manual release would have been best. But at least allow it to shift with power with out the engine running. Just watch a wrecker having to load one of these. It's just dumb. GM even states they aren't responsible for any damage done to the vehicle if it is dragged, lol. Hey let's make it where they pretty much have to be dragged in some situations, But make sure they know we aren't responsible for it being dragged in gear. Let's make a off road vehicle, almost impossible to recover in lots of off road situations. A roll back ain't getting to most places that are actually off road.
I agree 100%

Pull the rear drive shaft. Make sure you mark the driveshaft so you can index it when reinstalling. Not exactly easy, but should work.

Even if you get it in neutral, the driveshat should be pulled if flat towing. The transmission will continue to spin with no lubrication cause the pump isn't operating.

Does anyone know how to shift out of park if either the battery is dead or you have run out of gas and cannot start the truck (both of which I have done, unfortunately)? When it runs out of gas the screen says "conditions are not correct for shift" and obviously when the battery is dead it does nothing. I haven't been able to find it in the manual or online to override the shifting in order to put it in neutral to move the truck. Thanks in advance!
UPDATE:
I Emailed GM regarding this issue and they called me to discuss. They took the email very seriously and saw the need to escalate this issue to higher ups in the company. Their brand manager will be reviewing this issue to see if there is a way, either software updates (although still need battery for that) or the part needs to be included with the vehicle at time of purchase rather than having to buy it later WHEN you need it because it's not cheap just to buy for WHEN it's needed.

Maybe it will get up to Mary Borla, not holding my breath though :sneaky:

Is any of the stuff in the owners manual??????
Yes, look at the sections on...
Car Wash Mode has some info when the engine is operational.
Automatic Transfer Case has some info about Transfer Case Neutral
Towing a Disabled Vehicle section is of course no help if the engine will not run or 12v cannot be provided.

1709664839237.png

When in Diagnostic Mode (foot off brake, hold push button start for 5+ seconds) and then pressing the 2High button 5 times in less than 10 seconds will show a Neutral Transfer Case Shift begin on the 4x4 indicator on the DIC, but I have not been able to get it to complete and it reverts back in 20 seconds, I have tried rocking the vehicle to release pressure on the gearing but it just won't complete the shift, my guess is, per the manual, that the engine has to be running and the trans in Neutral, I will test that today when I go out, BUT, since the transfer case clearly by the indications on the DIC is initiating the switch to neutral (which as stated above allows the vehicle to roll if the parking brake is off EVEN IF the transmission is in Park) would make a huge difference if GM made the change to software to allow this if the engine wasn't running. Seems easily doable.

Per AXE's post, towing is only supposed to be performed with the transfer case in neutral.

Towing a Disabled Vehicle section is of course no help if the engine will not run or 12v cannot be provided.

View attachment 10879

When in Diagnostic Mode (foot off brake, hold push button start for 5+ seconds) and then pressing the 2High button 5 times in less than 10 seconds will show a Neutral Transfer Case Shift begin on the 4x4 indicator on the DIC, but I have not been able to get it to complete and it reverts back in 20 seconds, I have tried rocking the vehicle to release pressure on the gearing but it just won't complete the shift, my guess is, per the manual, that the engine has to be running and the trans in Neutral, I will test that today when I go out, BUT, since the transfer case clearly by the indications on the DIC is initiating the switch to neutral (which as stated above allows the vehicle to roll if the parking brake is off EVEN IF the transmission is in Park) would make a huge difference if GM made the change to software to allow this if the engine wasn't running. Seems easily doable.

Per AXE's post, towing is only supposed to be performed with the transfer case in neutral.
That's because you forgot to do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around because that's what it's all about!

View attachment 10879

Didn't know I needed a PHD to get this thing in Neutral!

Last edited:
That's because you forgot to do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around because that's what it's all about!
I'm really confused now, you said you were NEVER WRONG, but I did just as you suggested above and it still didn't work?!?!

On another note, the transfer case does indeed go into neutral in just a few seconds with the trans in neutral, drivers door open (Car Wash Mode), with the engine running OR not, as long as either the parking brake is set OR you press on the brake pedal. I tested as many permutations I could think of and the bottom line is the transmission has to be in neutral first, so this is of absolutely no use if the engine won't start, way to go GM.

The one thing I did learn is that the drivers door HAS TO BE OPEN before shifting into neutral, otherwise when you open the door it automatically goes back into park.

Does it help to get out with the transmission in neutral on a slope....... probably try that too.
Assuming you are just being a smart a$$ here, but I wouldn't get out on a slope without first chocking the wheels good or applying the parking brake, I'm not that stupid to get out while the whole kit and caboodle is in neutral on a slope AXE!

UPDATE:
I Emailed GM regarding this issue and they called me to discuss. They took the email very seriously and saw the need to escalate this issue to higher ups in the company. Their brand manager will be reviewing this issue to see if there is a way, either software updates (although still need battery for that) or the part needs to be included with the vehicle at time of purchase rather than having to buy it later WHEN you need it because it's not cheap just to buy for WHEN it's needed.

Maybe it will get up to Mary Borla, not holding my breath though :sneaky:
FU MARY BARRA

It’s all fun and games until the engine shuts off while hauling ass in the fast lane. Lucky for my wife and I, we were able to coast to the side of the shoulder when the fuel pump control module took a dump. I filed a complaint with nhtsa.gov regarding no way to put the truck in neutral without the engine running. I read another post where an owner had his truck stop in the middle of I-10 in Katy, TX. He was lucky not to have gotten run into while stranded in a travel lane.

I saw a YT video on how to manually put these trucks into neutral. I now carry a long 10mm wrench, some zip ties and a mat to crawl under the truck. This method requires you to first pull the electrical connections on the rear emergency brakes. Then put the wrench on the shift shaft on the left side of the transmission and turn it to the neutral position. Then zip tie the wrench to the transmission lines so the wrench doesn’t fall off while being towed.

Most Member Reactions

Back