GM has started the buy back process for my 23' ZR2

GRE24ENE

Reaction score
I posted a thread last week about the issues with the paint and front end issues on my new ZR2. After taking it to 3 different dealers at the direction of GM customer service GM is starting the buy back process.

The body shop/dealer I brought it to yesterday agreed with the previous shop assessment and added some additional items needed to fix the issues in the paint and front end. Basically the scope of work would need to include the following:

* remove all 4 doors
* remove bed
* remove windshield
* remove all interior trim
* remove headliner
* sand, paint and re-apply gravel guard on all 4 doors,
* remove runs in the gravel guard on both sides of uni-body, refinish uni-body
*re-assemble truck

front end issues:

* disassemble ENTIRE front end to diagnose misalignment issues with bumper, lights, grill ect...

They are not sure what is causing everything to be crooked (bumper is 3/4" higher on left) and why bumper is mounted 1/2" farther to one side

When I explained the scope of work that I was told by the body shop manager, I explained that I am not comfortable with an 80k truck being disassembled, painted and reassembled. Plus, having the front of my BRAND NEW TRUCK torn apart in an attempt to find out why it is misaligned from the factory. After hearing this she said "I am starting my report right now for the buy back process". She has to reach out to the 3rd dealer for their report/write up, and will be submitting everything to a supervisor. She said she will be reaching out to me by the end of the week with more information once she gets farther into the process.

At first, I wasn't even thinking about the buy back process. I am thankful that the body shop manager and Sales manager from the 3rd dealer were good and decent humans. They were straight up about the scope of work and didn't try to BS me. I wish I could say the same for the 2nd body shop/dealer.

Questions I need answered:

1. How long does this process take?
2. Should I start looking for ZR2's in my area with the options on my current ZR2?
3. Anything else I should be asking GM for?
4. Do I have to pay tax and tags on new vehicle?
5. Should I reach out to USAA (loan through USAA) about new vehicle paperwork?

I'll post updates as they come.

I posted a thread last week about the issues with the paint and front end issues on my new ZR2. After taking it to 3 different dealers at the direction of GM customer service GM is starting the buy back process.

The body shop/dealer I brought it to yesterday agreed with the previous shop assessment and added some additional items needed to fix the issues in the paint and front end. Basically the scope of work would need to include the following:

* remove all 4 doors
* remove bed
* remove windshield
* remove headliner
*re-assemble truck

front end issues:

* disassemble ENTIRE front end to diagnose misalignment issues with bumper, lights, grill ect...

They are not sure what is causing everything to be crooked (bumper is 3/4" higher on left) and why bumper is mounted 1/2" farther to one side

When I explained the scope of work that I was told by the body shop manager, I explained that I am not comfortable with an 80k truck being disassembled, painted and reassembled. Plus, having the front of my BRAND NEW TRUCK torn apart in an attempt to find out why it is misaligned from the factory. After hearing this she said "I am starting my report right now for the buy back process". She has to reach out to the 3rd dealer for their report/write up, and will be submitting everything to a supervisor. She said she will be reaching out to me by the end of the week with more information once she gets farther into the process.

At first, I wasn't even thinking about the buy back process. I am thankful that the body shop manager and Sales manager from the 3rd dealer were good and decent humans. They were straight up about the scope of work and didn't try to BS me. I wish I could say the same for the 2nd body shop/dealer.

2. Should I start looking for ZR2's in my area with the options on my current ZR2?

I had a buy back about 2 years ago it was an Escalade. The process takes a few months. They will get all the info from the dealers. You will need to provide them with the sales contract. They will ask for pictures of the truck seats,front rear, outside and odometer. Once you submit the pictures they will not go back and forth with the milage. Like lets say you have 2500 when pictures taken then when you turn it in it has 10k. They will only do deductions for 2500. You will have an option for them to look for a similar truck. Or simply just turn it in and they payoff loan plus interest. I don't know anything about paying taxes on new truck if you go that route. I just did a straight buy back.
Good Luck

Good to hear they came through for you. Hope you get another rig. They are pretty good trucks, definitely some quality control and electronic/software issues to get squared away.

Tell GM I'll give them $30k cash for that dud rig. I'll run it hard off road and report back my findings!

* remove all 4 doors
* remove bed
* remove windshield
* remove headliner
*re-assemble truck

front end issues:

get out of your present truck imo!!! start over with a new ZR2. what a mess. good luck. tell them you want more points for all the BS you been thru.

Where you at almost a month later? Bummer for sure but good to hear GM is planning to treat you right.

I’ve felt Ford, Acura and Audi should have outright replaced brand new cars with major and multiple issues and they’d just have me running back to the dealer and live with a less good loaner for weeks on end (10 weeks was worst, ever).

Hope they threw in a goodie for ya by now.

Where you at almost a month later? Bummer for sure but good to hear GM is planning to treat you right.

I’ve felt Ford, Acura and Audi should have outright replaced brand new cars with major and multiple issues and they’d just have me running back to the dealer and live with a less good loaner for weeks on end (10 weeks was worst, ever).

Hope they threw in a goodie for ya by now.
I'm still waiting for the buy back process to finish.

I'm hesitant to post all of the particulars until it's over.

I will say that I feel like the person I'm dealing with now is going to take care of me. I will post an update once I park my new truck in my driveway.

Wish me luck.

* remove all 4 doors
* remove bed
* remove windshield
* remove headliner
*re-assemble truck

front end issues:

I had to do that on my Colorado and unfortunately, I bought the extended warranty so I lost out quite a bit. you can sell it back but it's all prorated even though technically it never even started. Same with GAP insurance.

Most Member Reactions

Back