GM Kicker Sub

Well I was going to get one installed today but the order I made last Monday never got put in the system. 🤦‍♂️

Just a FYI for anyone with this sub. If you remove the amp by taking out the 4 screws. On the back side of the amp there is a rubber plug. There are 6 DIP switches under it. 1,2 and 3 are gain controls. It comes with 1 up 2 and 3 are down. If you turn all three up it makes a world of difference. You should also add Kicker knob part number 46CXARCT. You can get it on Amazon, eBay, ect. They are about 40 bucks. There is a rubber plug beside the wire harness that covers a 2.5mm jack. The knob plugs in there. If you don't add the knob, but turn the gain up you might not want all three up. Could be a little to much for some songs. I mounted my knob in the center console.

This came up in another thread, but figured I'd post it here cause of the thread title.
View attachment 907
Thanks for sharing, this is on my list of purchases!! Really appreciate it.

If paper cone OEM speakers are the benchmark, yes.

The Little Kicker that could is enough to distort the sensor in the rear camera mirror and enough to feel the hair on your head move. (In certain frequency ranges) but for a 200w sealed 10” it pulls its weight.
I have nearly always changed out the factory bose speakers for something from Focal... the right selection makes a lot of difference.

I have nearly always changed out the factory bose speakers for something from Focal... the right selection makes a lot of difference.
I am actually considering Focal myself! Just not sure which ones to go with. I don't want to break the bank, but want to make sure whatever I choose is significantly better than the Bose.

I am actually considering Focal myself! Just not sure which ones to go with. I don't want to break the bank, but want to make sure whatever I choose is significantly better than the Bose.
I'll be glad to share once I figure out which ones I'm going to use.

Not yet, planning on doing that this weekend.
Cool. I've heard the Flax Evo series is good, but they're not super expensive, and considering with audio you usually get what you pay for, I'm wondering if the K2's will be significantly better. I have no clue. This will be my first time doing any custom audio stuff in 22 years of driving... lol I know home audio pretty well, but not car audio.

Cool. I've heard the Flax Evo series is good, but they're not super expensive, and considering with audio you usually get what you pay for, I'm wondering if the K2's will be significantly better. I have no clue. This will be my first time doing any custom audio stuff in 22 years of driving... lol I know home audio pretty well, but not car audio.
I've used the Flax before, they sound awesome! In fact, I had a combination of Flax and K2 in the last truck I had (F150 King Ranch with the Bang and Olufson sound system). I only replaced the speakers in the front and rear doors, and I used sound deadening on the inside of all 4 doors, on the outer door skin and also under the interior door panels. It cut a lot of road noise out. Even with the Goodyear MT tires, I think the ZR2 is quieter on the inside than my King Ranch was with all of the sound deadening.

I've used the Flax before, they sound awesome! In fact, I had a combination of Flax and K2 in the last truck I had (F150 King Ranch with the Bang and Olufson sound system). I only replaced the speakers in the front and rear doors, and I used sound deadening on the inside of all 4 doors, on the outer door skin and also under the interior door panels. It cut a lot of road noise out. Even with the Goodyear MT tires, I think the ZR2 is quieter on the inside than my King Ranch was with all of the sound deadening.
I wonder what size speakers are in the dashboard, whether they're tweeters or 3" midrange speakers. If you can fit 3" midrange speakers in there, I'm even considering adding tweeters somewhere on the upper part of the door or interior, although I am slightly hesitant to let someone cut holes in my truck lol

I’m still doing some research but it looks like I’m going to go with Focal 165KR2 K2’s in the front (it’s a 2 ohm component system that will match the impedance on the Bose well). Still looking for a good rear to match it…

I’m still doing some research but it looks like I’m going to go with Focal 165KR2 K2’s in the front (it’s a 2 ohm component system that will match the impedance on the Bose well). Still looking for a good rear to match it…
Please post when you get in to it. I've looked around some and man it's confusing. Even found one thread saying refreshed with bose had 6x9 2ohm in the front doors, but the dash and rear speakers were 4 ohm?? Dash speakers are 2.75" and rear speakers are 6.5" I believe. Basically I'm not 100% sure what size speakers we have or even if they are all 2ohm lol.

I don't see the Kicker sub on the Chevrolet accessories site. I assume it is out of stock. I'm trying to decide between the rear lockable storage or the Kicker sub. I would prefer to get a hideaway sub, but I don't know where to put it if I get the lockable storage.

Please post when you get in to it. I've looked around some and man it's confusing. Even found one thread saying refreshed with bose had 6x9 2ohm in the front doors, but the dash and rear speakers were 4 ohm?? Dash speakers are 2.75" and rear speakers are 6.5" I believe. Basically I'm not 100% sure what size speakers we have or even if they are all 2ohm lol.
So you’re correct, our trucks have 6x9 in the front doors, 6 1/2“ in the rear doors, and 2 3/4” in the dash. Crutchfield is saying they are all 2 ohm, but in the 2019-2021, the rears were 4 ohms (not sure about the dash). I think I’m going to use a Focal 6.5” K2, not exactly sure which one yet, but something with a high sensitivity, probably something like a K2 165KRC. It’s a little older model that can be had for about half the price of the current model. I should have everything here in the next week or so, i’ll start a new thread and keep it updated as I go along.

So you’re correct, our trucks have 6x9 in the front doors, 6 1/2“ in the rear doors, and 2 3/4” in the dash. Crutchfield is saying they are all 2 ohm, but in the 2019-2021, the rears were 4 ohms (not sure about the dash). I think I’m going to use a Focal 6.5” K2, not exactly sure which one yet, but something with a high sensitivity, probably something like a K2 165KRC. It’s a little older model that can be had for about half the price of the current model. I should have everything here in the next week or so, i’ll start a new thread and keep it updated as I go along.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out.

This is what I seen in a RST forum, not sure if our trucks have the same bose

"In my 2022 refresh with Bose, the front door speakers are 2 ohm while the dash and rear doors are 4 ohm."

So I thought I'd share this because I was a little amazed. Apparently we have a factory sub under the center console. I guess I just overlooked chevy saying 7 speaker bose system. I guess it doesn't do anything cause I would have never known it was there just by listening to the radio. Photos were sourced from Crutchfields master guide
Screenshot_20221018-160440_Office.jpg

I saw that, kinda puny for a sub and I keep so much crap in my console I'm sure it dampens whatever bass that might generate.

Ok stupid question. So it's either the sub or the under seat storage correct. Can't do both right?

Most Member Reactions

Back